New road bike kit - tyres & saddle bag.

KK

Recently purchased a road bike and would like to make the switch to tubeless. Any recommendations for a set of affordable tyres, or is there not much between different brands at similar price points? I currently have 28c tyres installed - recommended to continue with this width?

Also, any lekker small/inconspicuous saddle bags available? Everything I find on the web is either too expensive or way too big and bulky.

Thanks!

Tyres, I’ve done just shy of 2000km on Pirelli Cinturato in 28mm trim and have absolutely nothing bad to say about them.

Saddlebag I have a Scion Elan and love the size of it

can't comment on much else, but I can second your choice for 28mm tyres

I switched to 28mm tyres 2 years ago when I bought a pair of wide carbon rims.  I only pump my tyres to 4.5 bar and honestly, the tyre/rim change has been by FAR the biggest improvement in ride quality that any upgrade has ever delivered.

Recently purchased a road bike and would like to make the switch to tubeless. Any recommendations for a set of affordable tyres, or is there not much between different brands at similar price points? I currently have 28c tyres installed - recommended to continue with this width?

Also, any lekker small/inconspicuous saddle bags available? Everything I find on the web is either too expensive or way too big and bulky.

Thanks!

Definitely go 28mm tubeless with lower pressure - plenty of grip and comfort.

I had bad experiences with the Giant Gavia range of tyres, so would not recommend those.

Continental seems to be the bench mark, but they are not cheap.

These seem fairly small/inconspicuous & low profile.

Not even a saddle bag, so the style police cant fine you! 

Not sure how I feel having everything exposed to the elements though.

https://www.bikalot.com/collections/accessories/products/rapstrapz-saddle-strap

gallery08_1024x1024.jpg?v=1584881530

I had bad experiences with the Giant Gavia range of tyres, so would not recommend those.

if you're doing that you may as well get a saddle bag. Its so much neater.

Alternative to saddle bag, similar to the Spez Swat Box:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/lyne-components-launches-the-holy-rail-on-bike-storage-system-r7654

There are a lot more options for tubeless nowadays, with more also geared at longevity rather than short life race tyres.

Not so long ago it was pretty much limited to Scwalbe and Hutchinson. (both still really good)

Edited by Thomo

I went to from 28C Giant tubeless tyres to 32C Panaracer Gravelking tubeless (the slick version) run them 50PSI up front and 60PSI at the rear. This has resulted in a massive improvement in comfort on my Giant Contend. If your bike can fit them, they are a great alternative

if you're doing that you may as well get a saddle bag. Its so much neater.

The chances of all your stuff exploding out all over the road and having to run into the road with cleats on to collect your stuff is much lower too.

Looks like a Honda CBR 600RR  :w00t:

I also use a Farr saddle bag:
https://ridefarr.com/za/product/farr-tubby-mini-race-bag/

It's probably the cheapest option, seems to be pretty well made, and it's nice to support local guys.It's just big enough for a tube, levers, a co2 cannister and a small adapter, some patches and master link. I reckon that's everything I'll ever need to be able to get home if something goes wrong on a ride. 

You can probably get away with riding without a saddle bag and just putting stuff in your jersey pocket, but then you have to remember to take that stuff with you every time you ride. I quite like being able to just grab my bike, walk out my door, and go for a ride without having to worry about what I take with me. And I also think it's more comfortable to just have a phone and keys in my jersey pocket. 

post-44163-0-10207500-1594812529_thumb.jpg