Contermans/Malanshoogte cycling safety

MORNE

I dont know if it is just my luck or what, but ive noticed a steady increase of douchebags in fast cars/superbikes treating this piece of road like their own personal Nurburgring early on saturday mornings.

a few weeks ago it was a pair of superbikes ‘scratching’ , two weekends ago a cock in a RS6 wagon and this morning some twat in his VW beetle GT3 RS.

He came past doing what i’d estimate close to 180/200kph hugging the yellow line in almost a 4 wheel drift around that bend around the second quarry...redlining it In whatever gear and sucking/dispatching all the loose road material along with him.

If you were on that piece of road this morning between 7 and 8 you’ll know how many cyclists were on it in the shoulders on both sides....as well as quarry trucks stopping to make the turn. I passed close to 60 people on my morning loop...At least half of those on that bit of tar.

This road is no stranger to bikers dying under barriers etc. If this keeps going this way, this is a tragedy waiting to happen mark my words. It is a matter of time before one of these fools talent runs out and plows through a group of cyclist riding in the yellow lines there...on either side of the road.

I could not get his plates since i was riding straight into the sunrise at that stage. But thats all i need to find you...

My only hope is that the two coppers parked opposite the first quarry gate (Probably to give non mask wearing cyclists grief) saw him or something.

I guess this can go in cape town danger areas Mods.

Be careful out there.

Report to the traffic department. Get alot more people to do the same. Try and get them to come out and do speed checks. Try and get video clips and upload it on the traffic department and city of cape town twitter account.

Thanks for the heads-up morne - Can't say I have experienced that on the road but I cycle there fairly infrequently, will keep an eye out

this is becoming very annoying... same thing on the suikerbossie climb, there are always groups of idiots on superbikes that look like they have no idea what they are doing... going up and down multiple times, even when it's wet. One day one of them is going to lose control and I hope I'm not the one on the receiving end of a sliding motorbike.

On the conties road my biggest fear is those massive trucks, I haven't experienced wannabe racers there yet, there was a guy on a 636 kawasaki yesterday but he was having a jol more than doing any stupid **** out of his confort zone

Edited by Jbr

Report to the traffic department. Get alot more people to do the same. Try and get them to come out and do speed checks. Try and get video clips and upload it on the traffic department and city of cape town twitter account.

I have logged a service request with CoCT traffic department under speeding and gave them the info. They are very on top of their online interface...I use it exclusively for most things I want sorted by them. Lets see what they say when they call....

Porsche take there new owners along that stretch for test drives.

Contact Porsche and the traffic department

Just found this:

http://www.porscheclubcape.co.za/PorscheClubs/pc_southafrica_cape/pc_main.nsf/web/AD2E7A0C16D9531EC1258320006736FE

Hairy one...who what where How? They are bragging about this.

Edit: need someone/something official to (help) write both the club, Porsche SA/CT and tell them this is going on during peak hours when other people are using that road for recreational purposes. Dont want it scoffed off as Karen complaints. I have the lurking PPA account in my PMs but i’m unsure they’ll follow this up if i ask haha...(PPS: i pm’d them anyway though).

post-64325-0-14490400-1595081548_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

Just found this:

http://www.porscheclubcape.co.za/PorscheClubs/pc_southafrica_cape/pc_main.nsf/web/AD2E7A0C16D9531EC1258320006736FE

Hairy one...who what where How? They are bragging about this.

Edit: need someone/something official to (help) write both the club, Porsche SA/CT and tell them this is going on during peak hours when other people are using that road for recreational purposes. Dont want it scoffed off as Karen complaints. I have the lurking PPA account in my PMs but i’m unsure they’ll follow this up if i ask haha...(PPS: i pm’d them anyway though).

That is a 2018 post ....

this is becoming very annoying... same thing on the suikerbossie climb, there are always groups of idiots on superbikes that look like they have no idea what they are doing... going up and down multiple times, even when it's wet. One day one of them is going to lose control and I hope I'm not the one on the receiving end of a sliding motorbike.

On the conties road my biggest fear is those massive trucks, I haven't experienced wannabe racers there yet, there was a guy on a 636 kawasaki yesterday but he was having a jol more than doing any stupid **** out of his confort zone

happened last week not exactly sure how, but I’m guessing a gust of wind sideswiped him off his super bike by the time we had passed the scene paramedics were attending to him. We were just descending Suikerbossie town direction.