Bick Rack Thule or??

Puddit

Hi, I am looking for a rear mounted platform type bike rack (x3 bikes). The older posts on this forum all lean towards laying the premium for a Thule rack. Is that still the verdict these days or are there othercheaper options that have caught up/worth it (holdfast, Double D, buzz rack, menabo) ?

Happy with our Thule .... well mostly. Not easy to fit three bikes, the spacing is just too tight.

Was about to say Holdfast has caught up in design and quality. Happy with a couple of their other products. .... looking at their website it seems their prices are catching up as well ....

Few details to look at, irrespective of what brand you buy:

- towball fitment ... a quick coupler, with a lock

- spacing of the bikes, ideally more than on the Thule

- sturdy and lockable bike clamps ... helps if it is keyed alike.

- tilt function, in order to access the boot without removing the bikes ... VERY handy

You need a number plate on it ... if you will be using it on more than one vehicle you need to be able to swop out the plates ....

Short answer - Holdfast is a well known brand and you can get spares. Decent alternative to Thule

Have a Thule 3 bike rack. As ChrisF said, the bikes load close to each other making it difficult to load bikes next to each other without them touching. Helps if you have dropper posts so handle bars of one bike doesn’t touch the saddles of others. And if you add a fourth, there’s even less space between bikes 3 and 4.

In addition each arm attaches to a part of the rack closest to the vehicle, so you sometimes have to thread the arm through bike frames and attach to parts of the bike frame you wouldn’t expect to (esp true with mtbs) - I usually have load a medium, small and a kids mtb, or the medium and two smalls.

I am considering selling the Thule for a rack that has more space between bikes.

Just something with regards to the bike rack locks... they are useless.

A friend has a Thule with the bike hold/lock over the top tube. It took me a couple of seconds to remove the bike from their "secured" lock without any damage to the bike. Release the wheels, lift and flip and gone. Bike top tubes are generally wider across than down so as soon as you turn it you can remove the lock.

Just something I thought a lot of people needed to know as I see so many bikes left on the back with only that ???? lock.

Just something with regards to the bike rack locks... they are useless.

A friend has a Thule with the bike hold/lock over the top tube. It took me a couple of seconds to remove the bike from their "secured" lock without any damage to the bike. Release the wheels, lift and flip and gone. Bike top tubes are generally wider across than down so as soon as you turn it you can remove the lock.

Just something I thought a lot of people needed to know as I see so many bikes left on the back with only that ???? lock.

And the Thule lock numbers are etched onto the units, keys can be bought at any locksmith ....

As for removing the bike from the "clamps/claws" ... most of the manufacturers use these "claws" ....

These are fine for transporting the bikes.

Security .... whole different discussion ... important to note your insurance requirements .... typically proof of "forced removal" is required. Threading a chain/cable through the frames and padlocking it may be required for insurance purposes.

These comments apply equally to all of the bike racks.

a different item to consider .... where will you store the rack when not in use ?

These are heavy and bulky devices !!

Some of the units fold to allow for smaller storage space

Had a Holdfast. It's heavy, feels a little over-engineered, very cumbersome to fit to tow-ball and fiddly to use with hoop between bikes. 

Bought a Thule (had paid the excess for Thule roof racks and cradles and roof box years ago – believe in the brand) and am very happy with the upgrade. Dead-easy to fit (and lock), super easy to mount bikes and stows comfortably on the garage wall. 

Thule parts always available (if not in SA then get a mate in Europe to drop it into a box and courier to you). Expensive? Sure! All well-made bike racks are! It probably does cost a little more than similar racks but the simplicity of use makes up for that. 

Cannot comment on the other brands mentioned. Have only had positive experience with Thule and their sales outlets and will only look at Thule when I need another rack in 80 years' time. 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, much appreciated and very useful. I see the Holdfast and Buzzrack are not far off the Thule. There is an Italian made rack (Menabo) and S.A made rack (Double D) which are substantially cheaper - anyone who's ahd experience with these of late?

Have a Thule 3 bike rack. As ChrisF said, the bikes load close to each other making it difficult to load bikes next to each other without them touching. Helps if you have dropper posts so handle bars of one bike doesn’t touch the saddles of others. And if you add a fourth, there’s even less space between bikes 3 and 4.

In addition each arm attaches to a part of the rack closest to the vehicle, so you sometimes have to thread the arm through bike frames and attach to parts of the bike frame you wouldn’t expect to (esp true with mtbs) - I usually have load a medium, small and a kids mtb, or the medium and two smalls.

I am considering selling the Thule for a rack that has more space between bikes.

Menabo - towball attachment is not great (gets loose and rack leans/spend more time looking in review to check if bikes are still attached), unable to get parts (lost a wheel footing was unable to source another) and it is heavy. Bought a Thule and the wife is happy to attach it to the vehicle. She refused to use the menabo due to weight.

Menabo - towball attachment is not great (gets loose and rack leans/spend more time looking in review to check if bikes are still attached), unable to get parts (lost a wheel footing was unable to source another) and it is heavy. Bought a Thule and the wife is happy to attach it to the vehicle. She refused to use the menabo due to weight.

Thanks for the feedback Reinhardt, deifnately gives direction. Much appreciated ????

Bought my Thule euroway back in 2002, had to save two full months worth of salary at the time. Third best cycling purchase after a bike, France cycle trip. She gets around and are used by my friends. One Friday, leaving late from work and still 600 to travel to race, reversed her into a post, 1-0 to Thule. You can’t go wrong with Thule. Space is a premium on all these racks.