The Space Between: What cycling events might look like in a post Covid19 world

Bike Hub Features

Why havent they implemented these measures to prevent TB, flu, common cold, pneumonia etc from spreading? 

At best, covid has a moratlity rate of 0.05%, which is even lower amongst young fit people and has a near negliable risk of transmission outdoors. 

We have become so affraid of death, we are forgetting to live our lives. 

oh dear......

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The future of events will be time trials IMO. You can space people out on the road and s at the end post event much better. 

Nope

Why haven't they implemented these measures to prevent TB, flu, common cold, pneumonia etc from spreading? 

At best, covid has a mortality rate of 0.05%, which is even lower amongst young fit people and has a near negligible risk of transmission outdoors. 

We have become so afraid of death, we are forgetting to live our lives. 

So the question that is beggared by this is do you wear a mask in public? But we better take this to the Corona string. 

do you have something to add?

ok I'll bite

Yes I do, use spellcheck 

Secondly, would you mind letting me know where you got your degree in never before seen diseases?

But more importantly, there is a  dedicated thread for fearmongers, denialists, literates, opinionated know it alls and idiots.  There you can find nice doses of sanity, idiocy and possibly a modicum of science.  

see below

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/184638-coronavirus-general-discussion/page-976?do=findComment&comment=3687094

Edited by Waynemol

What a load of cr*p, I for the life of me do not understand people saying "It's the new normal", "Everything will be different".

Why? When Covid is done and dusted - why will we keep these stupid (but currently necessary) measures in place - this is an event that has shaken the world (understandably so), but like all things - it to will pass.

There is absolutely no reason to change event formats when this is all said and done. I for one would love to return to mass participation events such as cycle challenge when there is no looming monster above our heads.

Stop this fear mongering, the new normal should not be a thing - it will return to the old normal (for lack of a better phrase), or else we are digging ourselves into a ditch of fear. #poetry

Edited by stevec94

guys,

they (event organisers) also know that genpop has a very short memory.

WHEN this all passes it will be matter of time before it's back to normal. But in the meantime they need to play the game and say the right things. Blame Karen.

If you cant see that this article is trying to instil a sense of calm and reassurance so that they can lure people back to riding events when they are allowed again....to make their money, then I'm sorry..... smell the coffee. They know the cowboys will ride regardless....but they need the peeps who are scared chitless at the moment too if these events(businesses) are going to survive. 

disclaimer:

.....IMO

lol

Hypothetically, government scraps all their rules and policies regards covid, and 947 cycle challenge get the go ahead, how many people will line up for this? i suspect a lot more than anticipated - most people are so over covid, the lock downs, the rules, etc and just want to go back to life as it was. so should events need to change - maybe to promote safety. but will events change - i doubt it, people enjoy the mass events, whether it is starting out in a leading batch and racing your heart out, or starting in a slow batch and enjoying the vibe. 

Why havent they implemented these measures to prevent TB, flu, common cold, pneumonia etc from spreading?

At best, covid has a moratlity rate of 0.05%, which is even lower amongst young fit people and has a near negliable risk of transmission outdoors.

We have become so affraid of death, we are forgetting to live our lives.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.enca.com/news/south-africa-59-excess-deaths-imply-hidden-toll&ved=2ahUKEwifuNmW8OPqAhVvThUIHa8SAIgQ0PADegQIBRAG&usg=AOvVaw1wtEMk5dc3YAtKcoxwWmCR&cshid=1595525023685

New Zealand is back to racing as they were pre lock down. Here it will certainly have to change.

And as will all places once the virus has worked its course. We are creatures of habit and a few months of lock down won’t change that. I personally will be entering and supporting any event that I would normally attend that is allowed to run. They need the support and I will give it to them. Whether this virus is still around by next year I’m not sure, but I truly hope not. The Job losses are not something we as a country can sustain much longer.

Hypothetically, government scraps all their rules and policies regards covid, and 947 cycle challenge get the go ahead, how many people will line up for this? i suspect a lot more than anticipated - most people are so over covid, the lock downs, the rules, etc and just want to go back to life as it was. so should events need to change - maybe to promote safety. but will events change - i doubt it, people enjoy the mass events, whether it is starting out in a leading batch and racing your heart out, or starting in a slow batch and enjoying the vibe.

I would doubt the events would change much, maybe for the first year after the this but from there it will fade out. We are definitely more aware of hygiene which is fantastic, but as I said above human habit is hard to change.