Help with jumping

Hey hubbers, any chance there is someone on the Hub, in the Gauteng area, that wouldn't mind giving me some guidance on how to jump properly?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey hubbers, any chance there is someone on the Hub, in the Gauteng area, that wouldn't mind giving me some guidance on how to jump properly?

One thing you will learn here is that guys will tell you very quickly how to set your bike up for jumping, which bike you should buy for jumping etc but there are crickets and tumbleweeds when you ask anyone to show you HOW to jump......  :ph34r:

I see you're in gauteng.... Is Peach still doing his thing there? 

One thing you will learn here is that guys will tell you very quickly how to set your bike up for jumping, which bike you should buy for jumping etc but there are crickets and tumbleweeds when you ask anyone to show you HOW to jump...... :ph34r:

I see you're in gauteng.... Is Peach still doing his thing there?

Yep, very useful bunch...

I saw the last post peach put up was in Jan, he may still be operational, but I dont really have R1300 for a session, I know a proper coach would be best, but alas, not always an option, will just have to keep watching videos and try apply those lessons alone

I saw the last post peach put up was in Jan, he may still be operational, but I dont really have R1300 for a session, I know a proper coach would be best, but alas, not always an option, will just have to keep watching videos and try apply those lessons alone

That vid I posted has helped me alot. I'm not near perfect at it yet (i.e. very far from) but I have improved. If I actually spend more time doing the drills, I will definitely improve more.

Thats pretty much what I’m doing. We can do it together if you want? Haha! That sounds a bit weird. But ja I’m free every day the whole day most of the time. Edited by Pieter1

hahaha

During lockdown I made a little jump in the yard. 

I was hitting it and getting some decent air, or so I thought.

I then setup my phone to record it.

What a joke.

But what it did show me was that I was basically bunny hopping over the lip of the ramp, a couple more runs and I was using the full ramp. But still not getting the air I thought I was getting.

The big difference between a guy who can jump and do other stuff good (read that in a zoolander voice) and a good coach is the coach's ability to verbalize the movements and actions that become instinctive and muscle memory to a good jumper.

I learned to jump using MBUK magazine How to sections and paying the price in roasties. Nowadays youtube makes that much more accessible.

What I can tell you is that if you can do a good front wheel first bunny hop without being clipped in, then you are a good way down the road to jumping well. And definitely learn to jump with flat pedals and shoes. And knee pads if you can, you may not need them, but they provide a lot of confidence.

Edit: good luck and enjoy the process.

Edited by PhilipV

From motorbike days it was always easy to actually jump, the key is getting good at controlling your bike and cornering fast enough to have the desired speed for the jump. typically the easiest way to learn a jumps speed when you are new to it is just to latch onto someone and follow them through.

It is fairly interesting to watch the jump line in delta while doing barely inclined(hill) repeats.

A lot on mtb hit the jump super slow with a big bunny/seat bounce/effort to jump it super high super slow.

MX it is all about hitting the jump too fast and scrubbing speed to stay low.

That being said, in gp the delta lines are great to learn on if you don't mind dodging kids, dogs, idiots, runners and hobos.

Jeez, it seems I didn't ask the school kid's parents enough back when I did coaching.

Then again, I stopped because I didn't have liability insurance and stopped after this case hit the news.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/sued-mtb-instructor-loses-case-expected-pay-3million-352599

When it comes to jumps people can show you but it all comes to the amount of time you invest in it. Start small and get comfortable in take off and landing and work it up from there. There is no one who is going to take you (safely) from small jumps to clearing gaps in a day or two.

I did my first gap this year given it's only about 2 foot high and probably same size gap but I was very impressed by my accomplishment. One thing I learned very quickly speed is very important. Getting the correct speed is as important as technique. Having someone to lead you in helps a lot.

Edited by Me rida my bicycle