Potentially stolen bike found on FB Marketplace

CDC42

I disagree completely. A post like this raises suspicion and has the potential to totally ruin a sale.

The advert was on Facebook, where it's open season. Stolen goods have a much higher chance of finding a willing/unsuspecting buyer on uninformed platforms like Facebook and Gumtree. With crime rife around us, willing and unsuspecting buyers become part of the problem. Instead of asking what suggests it's stolen, tell us why you think it isn't stolen. That way I'm of the opinion you can better claim the moral high ground.   

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The advert was on Facebook, where it's open season. Stolen goods have a much higher chance of finding a willing/unsuspecting buyer on uninformed platforms like Facebook and Gumtree. With crime rife around us, willing and unsuspecting buyers become part of the problem. Instead of asking what suggests it's stolen, tell us why you think it isn't stolen. That way I'm of the opinion you can better claim the moral high ground.

So if you ever post something for sale it acceptable to call you a thief/suspected thief/scammer and the onus is on you to prove that you aren't? Guilty until proven innocent?

I'm not sure that makes for a comfortable selling/buying arena.

So if you ever post something for sale it acceptable to call you a thief/suspected thief/scammer and the onus is on you to prove that you aren't? Guilty until proven innocent?

Is that you Satan?

Or is it just Eldron playing Devil's advocate?

Is that you Satan?

Or is it just Eldron playing Devil's advocate?

I find it helps to gain perspective when you place yourself in the exact situation that you're happy to place someone else in :-)

May I emphasize, the original advert was on Facebook. Criminals will exploit the exact sentiment you correctly point out. If we're not vigilant, and have the right to call it as a suspicious, we default to the lowest common denominator, which is the sale of stolen goods on online forums. How else are stolen goods sold? 

May I emphasize, the original advert was on Facebook. Criminals will exploit the exact sentiment you correctly point out. If we're not vigilant, and have the right to call it as a suspicious, we default to the lowest common denominator, which is the sale of stolen goods on online forums. How else are stolen goods sold? 

As long as you're comfortable being both accuser and victim then I agree with you.

Also remember the topic of this thread accuses no one

“Potentially” is the operative word and given the decimation of justice and law and order in this country, I’m happy to err on the side of caution

As an aside in this instance it doesn’t have the too good to be true price tag that often accompanies a dodgy sale

Edited by Waynemol

Also remember the topic of this thread accuses no one

“Potentially” is the operative word and given the decimation of justice and law and order in this country, I’m happy to err on the side of caution

That's the thing though - would you be happy to see your own face, full name, facebook profile and advert on to a "suspected stolen goods" thread?

That's the thing though - would you be happy to see your own face, full name, facebook profile and advert on to a "suspected stolen goods" thread?

Firstly it wouldn’t happen because I’m not on Facebook and my advert if I was would be very clear and full of info

But hypothetically speaking if I put a half arsed advert on a site rife with fraud and aliases in country with desperate people and a corrupt failing justice system then I guess I’d accept it as a part and parcel of living in Africa

How about this. If you see a dodgy deal then post the pics here with a "is this your bike" style heading. That way you do your good deed worhout identifying the "suspected" thief.

Or just post the link with  "Nice XYZ bike...value X amount, selling for Y amount...."

Edited by Mojoman

How about this. If you see a dodgy deal then post the pics here with a "is this your bike" style heading. That way you do your good deed worhout identifying the "suspected" thief.

best of both worlds, nice idea

definitely a better way

OK, something is wrong, two hubbers have used common sense, decent discussion and come to an amicable solution. This cannot be.

Covid must be inside the matrix .

Nice to see decency still exists here. Take a bow you two.

#whywekeepcomingback

Edited by Longbarn Killer