Lezyne GPS - value for money

Frosty

Cool review frosty...

Wil definitely look at other options when my current 520 gives in.

Garmin has worked for me but battery life when paired with stages, HR and Bluetooth is fairly poor and the unit is not as long lasting/hard wearing as you'd expect (on my 2nd 520 and had 2 510s)and they getting damn expensive now.

Will definitely look at this as a like replacement.

are you paying for out of warranty upgrades all the time? What does that cost now?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That review is a bit polarised as if the reviewer went into it looking to find fault.

No one seems to complain about garmins non touch screen units and then also complain about the touch screen units....

E.g. for controlling a garmin varia light one also needs a separate data screen or an expensive blue tooth remote switch.

The reviewer seems to forget that the Leyzyne is offering a lot of features for half the cost of a 530...

Great review Frosty. I purchased the Mega XL for my son last year 2nd hand on BH loved it so much then immediatly got myself the Mega C also 2nd hand on BH. I have also been using wrist based watches for the last few years also the 310 XT and the 920 XT suunto ambit and suunto spartan. i decided to get a head unit for cycling to save the wrist units a bit and also it is annoying having to look on your wrist when riding. the wrist based heart rate while cycling is also suspect.

I love the unit. so far i have paired it with , Bontrager Speed and Cadence sensor BLE and ANT+, Garmin ANT + HR strap , Cycleops Powercall BLE and ANT + and Lezynne HR monitor. 

The bike mount it comes with has a knack to crack , so my mate 3D printed me 4 out front mounts. they work like a charm .

DO NOT buy the Lezynne HR monitor. IT is a SCHLEP. You have to remove the battery after EVERY ride as the sensor does not stop transmitting by itself. 

I cannot fault this computer and it is TOUGH. Battery life is amazing. The app has limited reporting and some earlier versions of the app kept crashing . the latest update is super and just keeps doing it's thing. If you are used to Garmin connect be prepared to be underwhelmed by the Lezyne Ally APP. However the Desktop site gives more details and analysis of your rides. 

I am curious to know if any body has paired their Lezyne lights to their head units on how that works. You apparently get a myriad of light settings. 

are you paying for out of warranty upgrades all the time? What does that cost now?

Yep, about a year ago was the last time. Device was just over 2years old

520 charging pin was faulty, they wrote it off completely as un-repairable and pay-in for replacement unit was R75 short of R2k.

This replacement unit had a 90 day warranty as it was a factory overhauled device

That review is a bit polarised as if the reviewer went into it looking to find fault.

No one seems to complain about garmins non touch screen units and then also complain about the touch screen units....

E.g. for controlling a garmin varia light one also needs a separate data screen or an expensive blue tooth remote switch.

The reviewer seems to forget that the Leyzyne is offering a lot of features for half the cost of a 530...

Yup, very true. Reviews can be hit or miss sometimes.

I find that the best way to get good reviews are on forums. It's unbiased opinion/frustrations/recommendations.

I would normally just Google: "Lezyne mega c GPS review forum" and you'll sometimes find great information for a product that you might be after.

Here's a decent amount of user info with the above search:

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/lezyne-latest-gps-any-feedback/15570/14

Garmin's servers down (again).  :huh:

(hijack on/)

I *might* have a Lezyne Macro GPS to sell if anyone super keen (strictly speaking it's not for sale, as I occasionally use it to track walks, but I could be persuaded to part with it – also have Mega XL for cycling). PM me for details. 

(/hijack off)

post-120413-0-47333200-1595501636_thumb.jpg

Yep, about a year ago was the last time. Device was just over 2years old

520 charging pin was faulty, they wrote it off completely as un-repairable and pay-in for replacement unit was R75 short of R2k.

This replacement unit had a 90 day warranty as it was a factory overhauled device

Thus far I have been lucky. Have not paid for my out of warranty replacement 1030's. The current one is a few weeks out of warranty but the blue halo is now so bad I cant read the small print on some screens. Time to go back to Garmin :(

cross fingers I don't have to pay in..

I have a lame but apparently important question: Does discovery give you points when you upload ride?

Or is there a way to make discovery think its from a garmin etc.

Let me check something quickly. If it works, I’ll let you know.

As soon as Garmin is back online

post-1372-0-57067800-1595516157_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

great writeup - Garmin* has been sitting on their laurels as  GPS pioneers for too long.

Their harware products have always been good, but overpriced (especially maps).

the technology is so mature now it is a race to the bottom and I don't think they will play that game.

There will be some losers (TomTom) but at the end of the day consumers will win with bang for buck products that work well..

(*replace "garmin and gps" with "polar and HR" for the same story)

It's cool that you've tried something outside of the mainstream. Garmin needs competition. Your photos and review also show off the device nicely. The display is very colourful and I like the presence of sensor battery indicators.

I started with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, then switched to a Wahoo Roam. I bought a used Garmin Fenix 3 for running when Strava killed sensor functionality. It blew me away (especially for an oldish device). I sold the Roam and now have a Garmin bicycle computer. I feel kind of bad for buying Garmin (and not supporting an underdog like Wahoo), but eh, I like it and I use both the remote control, headlight and radar.

The Lezyne's look great though, I wouldn't mind trying one just to #have_all_the_things. Hammerhead anyone? haha

Edited by aquaratza

great writeup - Garmin* has been sitting on their laurels as GPS pioneers for too long.

Their harware products have always been good, but overpriced (especially maps).

the technology is so mature now it is a race to the bottom and I don't think they will play that game.

There will be some losers (TomTom) but at the end of the day consumers will win with bang for buck products that work well..

(*replace "garmin and gps" with "polar and HR" for the same story)

I don’t think garmin has been sitting on their laurels. They have been focused on wearables, as well as their data metrics and incorporating FirstBeat. Don’t forget garmin pay, they support the most music platforms, solar charging, etc. They are adding features continuously, whether consumers find these necessary/beneficial is another question. Innovation is rife. Their higher end models are beyond doubt no longer just gps devices that record speed, distance elevation and cadence

genuinely do not get the appeal in solar charging your watch. My calculator has a mini solar panel, but you don't see me outside doing sums.. 

Look, I understand some focus groups may have said they'd like it, but as a long time user of their devices, never once have I been frustrated with the battery life of their units, watch or out-front. If you want to save battery life, turn the backlight down, turn off the BT (for those units with BT), and use the GPS method only, turn off the other ***.