Forerunner 735 vs 935

New Landy new life

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheez, wish I knew someone with that kind of discount

That’s 5% more than Discovery’s offer, if buying through Sportsmans Warehouse, and assuming that person has jumped through the hoops (fitness test and health check). In fact, if someone has a Disco Bank card and jumped through those hoops, then the discount should be more than 30%. That’s the friend you need to find.

My experience has been a bit different.

My first 945 had to be replaced due to a hardware fault causing the entire sensor stack to stop working. It took forever to get a replacement but 2020 so I was patient.

My current one I can't get to stay connected to the phone no matter what. I've repeated all the suggestions, restart phone, restart watch, unpair, pair etc but if I move to a different room it doesn't connect again until I restart the app and sometimes the bluetooth connection as well. Used my old 735 last week and no problems.

I almost don't have the energy to return again but it's a pricy item not to be working 100%.

945. DCR wasn't too impressed with the 745, because the 945 offers more value. I love my 945. Bullet proof, great battery life, pretty much flawless if you ask me. Had the 935 and upgraded to the 945 just for the music. 

My experience has been a bit different.

My first 945 had to be replaced due to a hardware fault causing the entire sensor stack to stop working. It took forever to get a replacement but 2020 so I was patient.

My current one I can't get to stay connected to the phone no matter what. I've repeated all the suggestions, restart phone, restart watch, unpair, pair etc but if I move to a different room it doesn't connect again until I restart the app and sometimes the bluetooth connection as well. Used my old 735 last week and no problems.

I almost don't have the energy to return again but it's a pricy item not to be working 100%.

what phone? Huawei?  

As for me, had a 945 since first launched in USA which got shipped over.  Been faultless and been used for workouts daily 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. Lives on my arm 24/7 going on 18 months.

what phone? Huawei?  

As for me, had a 945 since first launched in USA which got shipped over.  Been faultless and been used for workouts daily 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. Lives on my arm 24/7 going on 18 months.

iPhone XR

iPhone XR

I’ve occasionally had problems connecting my 735 to my iPhone (11). Some days it pairs, other days not. When trying an old Android tablet (8.4”) it never gave any problem.

I would just ignore the problem, and download the file by connecting via USB. If it works the next day, then I carry on syncing via the App.

Not ideal, but I’m not going to start the whole reboot, factory reset, unpair/pair process again, and get frustrated with it.

I’ve occasionally had problems connecting my 735 to my iPhone (11). Some days it pairs, other days not. When trying an old Android tablet (8.4”) it never gave any problem.

I would just ignore the problem, and download the file by connecting via USB. If it works the next day, then I carry on syncing via the App.

Not ideal, but I’m not going to start the whole reboot, factory reset, unpair/pair process again, and get frustrated with it.

Luckily I don't have to go the USB route. If I disable and enable bluetooth and restart the connect app it syncs. I even configured a shortcut to automate the steps.

It's just annoying on a R12 000 watch.

I could probably try a full reset of my phone but that's a full day job and not something I'm going to commit to to see if it works.

Edited by Showtime

Luckily I don't have to go the USB route. If I disable and enable bluetooth and restart the connect app it syncs. I even configured a shortcut to automate the steps.

It's just annoying on a R12 000 watch.

I could probably try a full reset of my phone but that's a full day job and not something I'm going to commit to to see if it works.

I’ve done the reset on both phone (all BT/Wi-Fi settings) and Garmin (factory reset) and not keen to do it every time it happens. Luckily it doesn’t happen often.

what phone? Huawei?

As for me, had a 945 since first launched in USA which got shipped over. Been faultless and been used for workouts daily 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day. Lives on my arm 24/7 going on 18 months.

Just out of interest, did your USA model come with a different map set than our local version?

Just out of interest, did your USA model come with a different map set than our local version?

I bought the watch for swim, bike, run, music and all day metrics not for the maps which I never use and I have a 520 should i ever need to.

No idea what the local version has.  As for map coverage listed on garmin connect, I got pretty much the world, although I suspect the north america might be in more detail, but have not checked as never used it.

Europe, Middle East and Africa is currently v5.90 if of any interest to you.

I bought the watch for swim, bike, run, music and all day metrics not for the maps which I never use and I have a 520 should i ever need to.

No idea what the local version has.  As for map coverage listed on garmin connect, I got pretty much the world, although I suspect the north america might be in more detail, but have not checked as never used it.

Europe, Middle East and Africa is currently v5.90 if of any interest to you.

My Maps Set updated as soon as I connected to Garmin Express and seem pretty detailed so far.

Only had it a couple days.

No issues with connections to my i6.

Absolute nonsense. With the minimum of 11 satellites triangulating your position, a barometer is NOT necessary. Years ago I had a discussion with the okes at Garmin about the fact. At the time they promoted the Edge 500's ability to determine elevation using the barometer and its accuracy. Yet I continuously cycled below sea level! I often departed on a ride at a rough 50 meter elevation and returned 2 to 3 hours later at -200 meters. No there was not a fault with the unit. It had to do with the changing weather conditions for which the barometer did not have the correction that pilots would use for example. Therefore it calculated using the start barometric pressure as a reference making the entire trip's elevation BS.

"the 735 lacks a Barometer. This may or may not be important to you for accurate elevation gain calculations."

Absolute nonsense. With the minimum of 11 satellites triangulating your position, a barometer is NOT necessary. Years ago I had a discussion with the okes at Garmin about the fact. At the time they promoted the Edge 500's ability to determine elevation using the barometer and its accuracy. Yet I continuously cycled below sea level! I often departed on a ride at a rough 50 meter elevation and returned 2 to 3 hours later at -200 meters. No there was not a fault with the unit. It had to do with the changing weather conditions for which the barometer did not have the correction that pilots would use for example. Therefore it calculated using the start barometric pressure as a reference making the entire trip's elevation BS.

Problem is that watches etc. don't use GPS to determine altitude (something that GPS is notoriously bad at btw). They use GPS to determine position and then survey maps to determine altitude at said position. So in that case your elevation gain is actually based on how accurate the surveyed elevations are in the area that you are riding (and how accurately the GPS is locating you on said surveyed maps) which is also not a given.

Both approaches have their pros and cons.

Edited by Jehosefat

Very similar experience to my wife's Garmin.

Bought it a month ago and the first unit had no firmware loaded out of the box! was really annoyed because it was a birthday present.

Replacement unit is constantly losing connection to her phone and smart notifications dont come through until she manually connects it again.

The bluetooth connection has a really short range too, compared to my Suunto which gets alerts all over the house regardless of where my phone is, hers stops working after about 3 meters.