Garmin Down For Maintenance

Kom

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it was included in the deal that military related stuff isn't hosted on the same servers haha, otherwise they really are idiots

Have you seen their supreme commander??

Guys, this is a sign...

Leave the Garmin at home for a change and go and enjoy the ride the way you are supposed to.... like when you were a kid riding in the neighborhood....

Um no thanks.

Once you have used it, you can't go back.

I used to have a golf caddy bakkie, modified basically everything that could be done. Went like a bat out of hell, Swore I would never get rid of it. Then got a 4.0L V6 navara and said i'll drive both. The caddy parked for 3 months without moving and I then sold it.

I will buy my kids Garmins when they start riding in the suburb so they know how lekker it is.

Guys, this is a sign...

Leave the Garmin at home for a change and go and enjoy the ride the way you are supposed to.... like when you were a kid riding in the neighborhood....

I don’t see how, and in the end you just sync a weeks worth of rides and life goes on. Nothing gets lost, it’s just a bump in the road.

Guys, this is a sign...

I realised yesterday morning when my garmin battery died just how often I look down at it during a ride.

My company was hit earlier this year with a ransomware attack. We were offline for three days while the system was restored. Phones, emails, remote servers, VPN, all apps, ERP system and more were all affected.

It required a complete reload of all software, testing and then phasing everyone one office/branch at a time.

I must say, I've found the watch to be a great solution for me.

I used to ride with a maak-'n-plan holder for my phone attached to my bars (old cover with four holes drilled into it, cable tied to my stem), and although it was informative I found it to be too much, to the point of being distracting. I used to stare at it a lot, but realised I was just doing it because it was there, not because it was adding any value.

With the watch, all of the info is there if you want to see it and relatively easily accessible, but it isn't in-your-face or distracting. I'm not a heavy data user while riding though, I basically just want to get an idea if my HR is matching my PE and to get an estimate of when I'll be home.

My company was hit earlier this year with a ransomware attack. We were offline for three days while the system was restored. Phones, emails, remote servers, VPN, all apps, ERP system and more were all affected.

It required a complete reload of all software, testing and then phasing everyone one office/branch at a time.

If I may ask, what orders of magnitude are these ransom amounts requested for a company?

Probably depends on the size of the company, as Mama's Corner Bakery will have a different amount than say a NASPERS.

It can't be so big that it cripples a company I would expect? But surely still a significant cost on the balance sheet?

Have you seen their supreme commander??

I was talking about garmin not the US hahaha

If I may ask, what orders of magnitude are these ransom amounts requested for a company?

Probably depends on the size of the company, as Mama's Corner Bakery will have a different amount than say a NASPERS.

It can't be so big that it cripples a company I would expect? But surely still a significant cost on the balance sheet?

I wasn’t privy to the amount requested, but it was less than a 10% of EBITDA (annual). We lost one day’s data as the backups from the previous day were stored on a different server. It was therefore just the data captured on the day of the hit that had to be recaptured. Come to think of it, the data restore took the longest time to restore, and not so much the apps.

I can’t disclose specifics, like the cloud service provider we use - part of my NDA agreement signed on employment.

Ransom demands for WastedLocker infections are steep, generally ranging from $500,000 to $10 million in cryptocurrency.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2020/07/23/garmins-alleged-ransomware-wastedlocker-evil-corp/#c2341a2156d1

these okes are making good money out of tech scams and ransomware

There is a guy on youtube that did a comprehensive depe dive into scammers. Guys that manage to put a fake security warning message up on peoples screens which then got them to phone the scammers call center, where they would then charge them to 'fix' the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le71yVPh4uk

It could be a bit dry and these guys were arrested eventually.

Is Garmin being down the same as when Instagram goes down? People lose their minds? 

Not trying to be a dick but what is the draw to these devices? LIke someone said they look down so often. Doesn't that take away from the ride?