Garmin Down For Maintenance

Kom

I made peace with the reduced functionality of my Fenix 3 paired with the Huawei. No matter ow many tricks I tried it just kept falling over all of the time.

Now on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 and all is well again in the world of notifications making it to my watch.

Won't buy a Huawei again anytime soon and I actively discourage people who ask me about whether they should get one. Not worth the hassle IMHO.

I also had issues with not receiving notifications on my Sony, and then my new Huawei as well. But then about a month ago notifications suddenly started coming through again. So I don't think it has anything to do with the phone make

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but I have to say that we as users should carry some of the blame in that descision. Consumers put a huge amount of pressure on the corperates because we want to use our products (which we paid for). Should Garmin not get back online quickly they will loose quite a bit of income and that would be way more than loosing the ransom money.

That Garmin got caught in the first place is not good. But this is the cyberworld and it can happen at anytime to any company. It would have been good to see Garmin show them the finger and not pay the ransom and get back online quick. Hope they (Garmin) and many other companies take note and sort out their disaster recovery procedures and are prepared for the next attack to tell the guys to pick a finger.

I do get what you saying however I’ve paid for a service and chosen said service because I believed that a giant like Garmin would have resilience.

Maybe if they had come clean people would have been a little more understanding? Remember all they officially said was “down for maintenance”. And based on that reason I’m not surprised people threw their toys. Believe me, 80% if not more of the Garmin owners I know and discussed with them had no idea about the ransomware.

More worrying is that this took our their avionics business. Knowing that those critical systems are housed in the same containers as my weight from last week scares the hell out of me!

when I try and download from Strava (using my phone) I only get a 32kb file, doesnt seem to download the entire file.

I managed to do it from the PC, then emailed it to my phone and imported.

Yeah, that’s what I was meaning. Pretty sure they couldn’t care less for my resting heart rate. But the fact that I can’t access my data in order to fine tune my water consumption for the day is a BIG problem.

You need Garmin to tell you when you're thirsty?

Looks like there may still be some issues that they are resolving.

I usually go the the connect.garmin website on my phone and export the gpx file of my ride to import it into cyclemeter, its meen throwing up an error the last few days when I try. Even tried from the pc and same thing.

(I still dont know why there isnt an option to export the gpx file from the app)

You can still use an Old Software called Garmin Training Center to convert .FIT files to .GPX or .TCX files. Runs on Apple or PC.

Question to the IT gurus ....

So IF Garmin paid, why the very slow recovery curve ?

I doubt they paid, their cyber insurers would have some mitigation plans in place, paying the hackers is not one of them.

DR switch overs on that scale are not seamless.

Question to the IT gurus ....

So IF Garmin paid, why the very slow recovery curve ?

Backlog and Queued items amongst other synchronization issues would be my guess.

Millions of users, even more data coming in and then all the 3rd party API sites to sync with.

I would suspect that Garmin are opening the taps slowing and bringing up services one at a time as the resource overhead in the data center must be unreal.

At the same time they trying to patch the open wound of an attack to prevent further attach.

Edited by WrightJnr

Maybe if they had come clean people would have been a little more understanding? Remember all they officially said was “down for maintenance”. And based on that reason I’m not surprised people threw their toys. Believe me, 80% if not more of the Garmin owners I know and discussed with them had no idea about the ransomware.

I have no issue with what they published. They were down for maintenance. They were not lying. Their maintenance team were working on the system and they were down. You do not need to know why they were down, just that they were working on it.

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant people are regarding cyber attacks and how demanding they become when things go pear shaped. 

It is also worth noting that you can try as you might to cover all the bases, but often times it is the simplest thing that gets you into trouble. (a few of my customers have been attacked by ransomware. Most seem to come in by way of an email with a "Word or PDF" as a payment advice or a statement, then all hell breaks loose.

Then you have customers on your case as to why this happend yadda, yadda and it must be sorted now. No responsibility taken for they fact that they have not updated AV or anti ransomware installed (they say ooo but it keeps on updating and uses data so they disable it etc.)

To date the clients I have had that have been nailed by ransomware have opend something they should not have. Some even say, it was in my spam and there were warnings. WTF! If you dont know where something comes from and you are told to be cautious, be cautious! Warning to all out there.

For personal use, it also seems to work well if you have shadow copies.

As an aside, I see Santam are offering cover for things like this with caveats re having Antivirus and Malware installed. I am keen to see the T's and C't on that contract.

As an aside, I see Santam are offering cover for things like this with caveats re having Antivirus and Malware installed. I am keen to see the T's and C't on that contract.

mmmm ... and malware detection software is not cheap either .... Malwarebytes could cost a CO a pretty penny if you want to protect all devices.   

https://www.malwarebytes.com/pricing/business/