Garmin Down For Maintenance

Kom

They are down for a multi day maintenance window to deal with a ransom ware attack.

You will be able to sync again in a few days.

Not sure it’s this simple. Apparently “Evil Corp” are behind the attack. They pretty much have control of garmins backend systems and won’t release control until whatever cause they are fighting for is addressed or met.

Bigger picture is that Garmin avionics is impacted too. Federal aviation in the US states all aircraft must be up to date with navigation software at all time, so this attack could have bigger influence in terms of airline operations.

Whatever is going down, i assure you it’s not “maintenance”

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure it’s this simple. Apparently “Evil Corp” are behind the attack. They pretty much have control of garmins backend systems and won’t release control until whatever cause they are fighting for is addressed or met.

Bigger picture is that Garmin avionics is impacted too. Federal aviation in the US states all aircraft must be up to date with navigation software at all time, so this attack could have bigger influence in terms of airline operations.

Whatever is going down, i assure you it’s not “maintenance”

Oh yes I know that, ****s gotten real. I suppose the fact that my garmin croaked and I am waiting for the replacement means I am not impacted at this time. New unit should arrive next week.

Honestly, I feel for these guys, it is a big issue and really a tough one to deal with. Anyone in the IT industry or knows the ransomware issues is probably sipping their coffee thinking thank the heavens I am not Garmin IT right now.

Also our databases and what not are small enough to have full offline hard backups to do system restores, you know how big that Garmin dataset must be? 

My major concern is that Garmin supplies the US Military, and with this they should have a lot better security. In theory the ransomware guys could go to a terrorist group and know where all the Military guys are moving around and sell that data. A bit like strava's heat map showing where the secret military bases are.

People need to start understanding geospatial data more. 

Good Luck Garmin

Honestly, I feel for these guys, it is a big issue and really a tough one to deal with. Anyone in the IT industry or knows the ransomware issues is probably sipping their coffee thinking thank the heavens I am not Garmin IT right now.

Also our databases and what not are small enough to have full offline hard backups to do system restores, you know how big that Garmin dataset must be? 

My major concern is that Garmin supplies the US Military, and with this they should have a lot better security. In theory the ransomware guys could go to a terrorist group and know where all the Military guys are moving around and sell that data. A bit like strava's heat map showing where the secret military bases are.

Good Luck Garmin

Surely it was included in the deal that military related stuff isn't hosted on the same servers haha, otherwise they really are idiots

Surely it was included in the deal that military related stuff isn't hosted on the same servers haha, otherwise they really are idiots

They can but hope hahaha...

Good Luck Garmin

I suspect that the US Military division of Garmin will not be hosted on the Garmin network but rather on the US Military network with on site contracted Garmin engineers to assist with anything they need help with. 

It's a lot easier for the US Military to keep their networks under control than to trust that a third party will do that for them. 

I suspect that the US Military division of Garmin will not be hosted on the Garmin network but rather on the US Military network with on site contracted Garmin engineers to assist with anything they need help with. 

It's a lot easier for the US Military to keep their networks under control than to trust that a third party will do that for them. 

Yup they dont leave anything to chance. Some pretty serious controls in place.

And I have two adverts on this page both for Garmin...

Anyways. I can wait a few days. Not a huge issue.

If you want to keep track of close friends activities you have to dig through some menu.. find the person then look at that activity.... Go back... Go to the next person.. Look at that activity

Gear management is also pretty useless

Haven't looked if you can setup private segments to keep track of your fitness/progress

My point is.. It's very clumsy

But you ride DH....aren't you okes way too much rebel to conform to any systems and devices???

Edited by Ossie NL

I wonder how many activities my 130 can store ?

If you think it is getting full, connect your 130 via cable to computer and you will be able to copy the Activity FIT files to your computer

But you ride DH....aren't you okes way too much rebel to conform to any systems and devices???

Nah dude.. I'm a runner.. I just follow downhill... To old for that!!