Garmin Down For Maintenance

Kom

100% agree.

My phone app went from simply not logging in to straight out crashing, all because the server is offline, doesn’t make sense.

IOS?? Not uncommon for Apple devices. FB, Waze, Spotify & a few others has similar a few weeks back after a SDK login issue.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jislaaik, that is called equipment redundancy, let alone data back up.

Frosty must really like his data. :clap:

Dont be like that .... he is taking one for the team. TESTING three brands in real life conditions.

Our own homegrown DC Rainmaker :)

Dont be like that .... he is taking one for the team. TESTING three brands in real life conditions.

Our own homegrown DC Rainmaker :)

Slowbee understands... that I know.

Oooops, my bad ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Actually very calm, and truly interested to hear input from the other brands.  LOVE Frosty's thread about the Lyzene, especially as it looks at the various aspects of ownership, ie

- price

- software\app

- routes

- on- vs off-line use

- functionality in setting it up

- functionality while using it

- last, but not least, loading up rides.

Would really be nice to see a proper comparison between:

- Garmin

- Wahoo

- Lyzene

- Polar

- ?

been getting low battery messages with my 520 on a few longer days .... as much as I like the Garmin, I am not married to the brand .... 

Back to this thread - this current issue most probably wont impact my decision of my next unit.

This is probably the most comprehensive comparison tool out there:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=heart-rate-sensors#select

Longer term what we could see is the app becoming less reliant on the server for syncing, as honestly it is silly that the app on your phone is also now utterly useless because of this. It should still be able to sync off your watch as well as provide most of your stats and basic functionality in a disconnected state.

I think it’s any data that requires analysis needs the internet connection. Step count syncs continuously, but this required no further analysis. Your activities and sleep which gets analyzed and presented with graphs, stats etc requires the internet connection. So I would guess all process takes place in the cloud, and the app just shows the outcomes. The app itself does not put the data together with the various views and analysis

I think it’s any data that requires analysis needs the internet connection. Step count syncs continuously, but this required no further analysis. Your activities and sleep which gets analyzed and presented with graphs, stats etc requires the internet connection. So I would guess all process takes place in the cloud, and the app just shows the outcomes. The app itself does not put the data together with the various views and analysis

Not even the step count syncs .... then again, even this is calculated to show averages and totals.

In short ... the FR35 does not link to the phone, ie GarminConnect, and no data it available on the phone.

Not even the step count syncs .... then again, even this is calculated to show averages and totals.

In short ... the FR35 does not link to the phone, ie GarminConnect, and no data it available on the phone.

Interesting, my steps have been syncing

Data seems to be back but I still get a message that they’re down for maintenance

Its syncing 100%. Im sure they are bringing it back step by step.

So now the question is: Did they pay??? Guess we’ll never know

It is a fierce debate

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samcurry/2020/02/03/ransomware-to-pay-or-not-to-pay/#358887a33f53

but because it is supposedly evil corp it is even more trickier situation:

"The U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned evil Corp gang in December 2019 after being charged for using Dridex to cause more than $100 million in financial damages.

Due to this, it is a tricky situation for Garmin if they want to pay the ransom as they would potentially be violating United States sanctions."

You lucky, I am still getting the same screen on my app with the 2 bright mustard colored messages about being down for maintenance.

Same on mine, but it syncs anyway. They are obviously still doing maintenance.