Disc-brake wheels road bike

pmswanepoel

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt that. Training wheels I'm looking at 3-4k. Insurance is a perpetual monthly payment..

Like I said do the calculations.

Racing wheels R20k. Insurance on that around R80 pm.

R4k/80 = 50/12 = +-4 years of premiums. 

So you get to ride good racing wheels, the whole time for 4 years.

Unless you simply want training wheels, then the above is a frivolous exercise and just go buy whats on the classifieds. 

ps: Insurance is not perpetual, its recurring, but you can cancel it at anytime.

I always wanted more stuff but I just reached a point where the clutter is getting to me. This N+1 thing is nice and all but one person can only ride 1 bike and 1 set of wheels at a time.

I also vote for riding your favorite bike, wheels and tires on every ride. #everyridematters

I always wanted more stuff but I just reached a point where the clutter is getting to me. This N+1 thing is nice and all but one person can only ride 1 bike and 1 set of wheels at a time.

I also vote for riding your favorite bike, wheels and tires on every ride. #everyridematters

1 Bike! heresy

You can only drink 1 beer at a time, but you know you are going to smash the rest of that 6 pack and each one will get it's love

blasphemy 

Yep - i have ended up with tons of wheels and used them for one ride every three months.

1 Bike! heresy

You can only drink 1 beer at a time, but you know you are going to smash the rest of that 6 pack and each one will get it's love

Slow down :) If you need another nice bike, you need it. But riding a bike you like less to keep the other one for a special ride is just clutter. 

Slow down :) If you need another nice bike, you need it. But riding a bike you like less to keep the other one for a special ride is just clutter. 

What if you like all your bikes the same? - like you are supposed to like all your kids the same

All bikes need loving Showtime, but I think its good that you have that one special one.  I am a bit of a philanderer I confess.

How will I know I have the right one until I have ridden them all

That said, lately I only have eyes for one, I might be growing up

Changing wheels and brake pads(My race bike is still rim brake) over all the time is a schlep. I just left the carbon wheels on and instead would ride the older ally frame bike when training conditions were lousy(rain, mostly in the dark) but for chilled training rides in daylight where you stopping for coffee a few times I just rode the lekker bike and wheels. I also used to say save the race wheels and casette blah blah but touch wood, to date, have not had an issue with stuffing up carbon wheels while training. Racing is when you stuff things up.....................

hijack question:

How much money do you guys really save with this whole race bike / race wheel vs training bike / training wheel strategy?

I only have one road bike.  It cost a fair bit of money, but it's an absolute pleasure to ride.  The thing is, it's really not that heavy on maintenance.  I pretty much replace a cassette, chain and tyres every second year, which comes to like R2k / year all inclusive

hijack off

hijack question:

How much money do you guys really save with this whole race bike / race wheel vs training bike / training wheel strategy?

I only have one road bike.  It cost a fair bit of money, but it's an absolute pleasure to ride.  The thing is, it's really not that heavy on maintenance.  I pretty much replace a cassette, chain and tyres every second year, which comes to like R2k / year all inclusive

hijack off

None, its not about that. Lets be honest here, this I need a extra bike to save money is just a reversed engineered excuse for owning extra bikes.

hijack question:

hijack off

The more you ride, the more you replace. Simple as that. Also if you riding campag you pay more per item than shimano/sram BUT campag does last longer in my experience.

Probably don't save that much, but old habits die hard.

Depends on how far you take it too - 105 cassette on the training wheels at < R1000, Dura Ace on the race set at > R3000? (looking at CWC prices). Vittoria tyres at like R400 for two, VS GP5000 at R1k each...

Then again, if you can afford the expensive race set, you can probably afford to replace the dura ace cassette once a year. So, meh...

Life is too short to ride old heavy slow bla bla

Gatorskins for training, 105 for everyday use... who needs that hassle weekly.

Oh and Covid... when are there gonna be races for you to enjoy those Race Wheels and Tyres ?

I got frustrated with this, just slapped on GP5000's on the Carbon hoops and roll with it all the time.