Free indoor training software

Malico

Hi guys. I am looking for free indoor training software to use. Any ideas from you guys on What is best to use?

Edited by Malico

All the software options have a free trial period.  This will keep you busy for a few months.

Apparently RGT (?) has a free option during Covid.

RGT Cycling is currently free if you want something similar to Zwift for riding. You can free ride routes they have, Send them a GPX file of a route you have ridden and they will convert it to a "magic road" so you can ride it, else they have workouts or you can send them structured workouts and they will add it to you library.

If you just want to do structured workouts, ERGVideo https://ergvideo.com/ErgVideo-free/whats-free have a free version with workouts and training plans.  If you already have a training plan in Trainingpeaks, you have the facility to direct import the workout of the day and do the workout. (This is what I do).  Else you can import your own library of workouts and use their software for free.

Edited by shaper

You can also try Golden Cheetah.

Great analysis tool with functionality to build own or download workouts to co troll your smart trainer. Can also play videos

Yes, Android will be coming in September.

Pity you took everyones hard work in them freely building a massive library of workouts and then went and put it behind a paid subscription to search and access these workouts!

Pity you took everyones hard work in them freely building a massive library of workouts and then went and put it behind a paid subscription to search and access these workouts!

Is this not the natural path for start-ups ?

Start out free ... spend thousands of hours to build a brand and a niece market .... and then start adding a few functions at "minimal cost" .... then a few beta versions are tested, with minimal free functionality and increasing levels of paid functionality ....

History shows that this is followed by 1 of 3 options:

1) going big and becoming a market leader ... obviously very few make it to this point

2) Bought out by one of the big players if you truly have something unique to offer ... seems this happens way more than option 1

3) The hard reality ... most fold at this point ...

For better or worse ... the concept of paid subscription is probably the key decider for most users.

Can only wonder where the recent subscription models will by in a few years ....

Strava ?

Le Hub ... ?

Edited by ChrisF

Is this not the natural path for start-ups ?

Start out free ... spend thousands of hours to build a brand and a niece market .... and then start adding a few functions at "minimal cost" .... then a few beta versions are tested, with minimal free functionality and increasing levels of paid functionality ....

History shows that this is followed by 1 of 3 options:

1) going big and becoming a market leader ... obviously very few make it to this point

2) Bought out by one of the big players if you truly have something unique to offer ... seems this happens way more than option 1

3) The hard reality ... most fold at this point ...

For better or worse ... the concept of paid subscription is probably the key decider for most users.

Can only wonder where the recent subscription models will by in a few years ....

Strava ?

Le Hub ... ?

I have no problem with someone spending many hours and building a brand and then cashing in on it.

I guess you are not aware of or have never used trainerday and how it was built up as it is nothing like lehub or strava. It started out as an open source for people to share ERG workouts.

Trainerday started out as ERG.DB, then changed to Trainerday. The niche of if was that many (myself included) created workouts on the platform, sort of open source for anyone to search for workouts, copy and edit for your own personal use and or download to use with whatever software to control your trainer in ERG mode.

There were 1000s upon 1000s of workouts easily accessible for anybody to create and use and in using other people's workouts you created your own to share.

Now Alex the owner of the site, whilst hosting it and putting in a few addon's like the option of creating plans (most created by others), now puts a paywall in to access these workouts created by others.

Does he have a right to do it, probably, .....in my eyes, ethical, no.

So now if you want access to those 1000s of workouts created by others, you have to pay a middle man to get access to them.

Edit: I have created and put the hours in and there are probably over 100 workouts created by me, which are hosted there for anyone to use. Similarly many others have done the same, for me and others to access their workouts. I am happy to give to the community and take from the community, but now that community is no longer open source and you have to pay to get access to my workouts unless I spend a few more hours making them all public. I did the work, but the Trainerday website hoster feels he has the right to make the money off it. Would have been better to put in a paypal donation button for helping with running costs as many open source software sites do.

Am happy for him to charge for the app he has just created as this is an addon benefit to the site and compliments getting access to the workouts hosted on the site straight to the trainer controller app.

Edited by shaper