Gravel Routes - East Rand

JulienR

Hi all, i stay in Bedfordview and am keen to do some gravel rides nearby (i dont mind driving a little bit and then riding).

Are there any good gravel routes in the East Rand or South of Jhb?

Are any of the mtb parks more gravel friendly

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Go South - I have been riding from the Circus Cafe (just past the blockhouse 1-stop) on the R59 recently after being introduced to this on the 'South by South East' gravel ride. Seemingly safe (I judge this on seeing a number of couples riding on their own), easy area to ride and generally a 50:50 mix of gravel and tar depending on your routes. 'Cafe du Cirque' as it is called is very cycling friendly - seemed to be 4 or 5 distinct groups sitting out in their garden after our ride last week.

The other area that is becoming popular for gravel is riding out from Biden towards Magaliesburg town and beyond. Endless dirt roads all the way to Botswana - Strava-stalk the guys riding the Mini Munga for some ideas here.

I’ve planned a ride for Monday that is a mix of tar (30%) and gravel (70%).

Starting from the Carnival City area, and heading south of the R554.

post-1372-0-32913100-1596534958_thumb.png

Edited by Frosty

Check out the DOCS they have monthly ride from Rand Water in the South to Vaal dam once a month.

Very well organized 

Go South - I have been riding from the Circus Cafe (just past the blockhouse 1-stop) on the R59 recently after being introduced to this on the 'South by South East' gravel ride. Seemingly safe (I judge this on seeing a number of couples riding on their own), easy area to ride and generally a 50:50 mix of gravel and tar depending on your routes. 'Cafe du Cirque' as it is called is very cycling friendly - seemed to be 4 or 5 distinct groups sitting out in their garden after our ride last week.

Thanks for the reply. i see the Cafe du Cirque on google maps. What roads do you ride on from there? 

Check out the DOCS they have monthly ride from Rand Water in the South to Vaal dam once a month.

Very well organized 

Thanks - i will get in touch

The other area that is becoming popular for gravel is riding out from Biden towards Magaliesburg town and beyond. Endless dirt roads all the way to Botswana - Strava-stalk the guys riding the Mini Munga for some ideas here.

thanks - i saw a few routes but it is a little out of the way for me

Modderfontien/Tarako, a friend of mine rode his Gravel bike there on Friday, think he did most of the Yellow loop

Thanks for the reply. i see the Cafe du Cirque on google maps. What roads do you ride on from there? 

Try that SxSE route for starters - Cafe du Cirque is about 2km from the route start point. If you feel like something shorter you can just ride the northern 'loop', which is about 55km on its own. I think that goes through a rand water property which has a number of route options, but maybe start with the GPS route and adjust from there.

Bicycle Line and Finish line have groups riding from Boksburg and Kempton towards bapsfontein, secure parking at both the stores. 

• 6 months later...

Very well organized 

Hi there,

Do you know if their route follows gravel roads/quieter tar roads?