andyrtmorgan

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who has a Scout and are you happy? 

Looking for a gravel dick-around bike for once or twice a month and that can also do double duty on the IDT for when I use the Murder Hornet on the trails. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

At a smidge under 180cm I have literally just ordered a 54cm, hoping that the fit will be fine. I am usually right between a medium and large on Mtb's.

Ordered the 8 speed, and will buy a single speed kit off of Rapide.

Are the standard bars uncomfortable, that why you went with the flared bars? Wish it was an option but at the price and now with a 20% discount, it really is a steal.

On 7/28/2020 at 8:46 AM, Pure Savage said:

I have one and love it, will write a full review but am really happy.

I change the crank for an old MTB one and a 30T at front and am happy in the mountains, flats I max out at 38km/h but thats all good.

I'm considering getting the 8 Speed - they're getting new stock next month. Are you guys still happy with your purchase? How has it held up over the last two years - the microshift R8 groupset in particular. @Pure Savage, you also noted that the brakes needed adjustment every 300 km? @Steven Knoetze (sk27),  I'm the same height as you - was the 54cm a good fit? 

12 minutes ago, Vaultboy said:

I'm considering getting the 8 Speed - they're getting new stock next month. Are you guys still happy with your purchase? How has it held up over the last two years - the microshift R8 groupset in particular. @Pure Savage, you also noted that the brakes needed adjustment every 300 km? @Steven Knoetze (sk27),  I'm the same height as you - was the 54cm a good fit? 

Correct, they need adjusting every so often to work perfectly, but it takes all of 30 seconds. I have not had to replace anything on it and have really enjoyed the bike. Looking to do some gravely races coming up with it and will report back after that.

On 5/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, Vaultboy said:

Unfortunately I cannot comment. Aside from checking it for fit and riding it around the block, the bike has been in a box since purchased. It is a long story..........

• 1 year later...

Thread resurrection...has anyone tried fitting wider tyres than the 47mm the Scout is supplied with? And/or any idea what max width the frame can take?

I know @TyronLab said he had trouble with 48mm tyres, but that may have been due to mud.

For my part, I'm actually going down to 42mm, getting some WTB Resolutes. Pretty much the grippiest tubeless 650B wheels I could find that would fit my scout. Will report back next week once I've got them and fitted them.

image.png.cd9804220c6f773d38316e6510536757.png

Edited by MongooseMan

The 48 in front worked a treat 90% of the time. In the Scout's defense, I was riding it for kilometer upon kilometer with heaps of mud caked on, which it arguably isn't designed for anyway. If you are charging pretty hard down a trail a bit of wheel flex can get the 48 to rub but, again, that's riding it as if it were a full sus trail bike.

I wouldn't have an issue riding the 48 again, especially when its dry.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, need some advice too ..

I've just bought a Scout frame (not delivered yet), and hope to fit 29 x 1.95 hardpack tyres, ... I saw from this old ad that this hubber fitted 29 x 2.25, but he also had an aftermarket fork:
https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/560595/rook-scout-medium-upgraded

I assume the 2.25 must have cleared the rear stays then ... would the 29 x 1.95 clear the standard Rook Scout aluminum fork? (1.95 = 50mm) 

47 minutes ago, EddieV said:

Hi Guys, need some advice too ..

I've just bought a Scout frame (not delivered yet), and hope to fit 29 x 1.95 hardpack tyres, ... I saw from this old ad that this hubber fitted 29 x 2.25, but he also had an aftermarket fork:
https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-and-cyclocross-bikes/560595/rook-scout-medium-upgraded

I assume the 2.25 must have cleared the rear stays then ... would the 29 x 1.95 clear the standard Rook Scout aluminum fork? (1.95 = 50mm) 

They for sure won't fit, unfortunately. The stock really is the bottleneck for this frame to make it really rowdy.

I've had a 650B x 48mm GravelKing SK in there and it was very tight, so tight in fact that I wore into the fork with some mud at the Munga Grit. There's probably ~3mm clearance per side with the 650Bx48s, with 700c x 48mm it would probably be 1mm, 50s won't fit.

Here's the clearance with the stock 650B x 47s (probably ~4mm per side). As you can see it tapers inward so it'll be tighter with 700c's.

image.png.ed8db008fa63512852fb0bbb796632f0.png

Sorry to burst your bubble...

On the rear a 2.25 should fit without issue, tons of space back there.

Also keep in mind it has a relatively slack seat angle, so if you do put that rigid MTB fork on which has a ~490mm axle to crown it'll slacken it even more seeing as the stock fork has an A2C of 420mm.

Edited by TyronLab

9 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

They for sure won't fit, unfortunately. The stock really is the bottleneck for this frame to make it really rowdy.

I've had a 650B x 48mm GravelKing SK in there and it was very tight, so tight in fact that I wore into the fork with some mud at the Munga Grit. There's probably ~3mm clearance per side with the 650Bx48s, with 700c x 48mm it would probably be 1mm, 50s won't fit.

Here's the clearance with the stock 650B x 47s (probably ~4mm per side). As you can see it tapers inward so it'll be tighter with 700c's.

image.png.ed8db008fa63512852fb0bbb796632f0.png

Sorry to burst your bubble...

On the rear a 2.25 should fit without issue, tons of space back there.

Also keep in mind it has a relatively slack seat angle, so if you do put that rigid MTB fork on which has a ~490mm axle to crown it'll slacken it even more seeing as the stock fork has an A2C of 420mm.

Thank you, I'll have to stick to 700 x40 or 38 for now then ... it's a pity.

I'll look around for an aftermarket fork with a compact crown at some stage then. Thx  

13 hours ago, EddieV said:

I like the look of this fork ... Brother Steel Gravel Fork.... trying to work out what the landed cost would be, see they post via DHL/UPS, which means to lands here with SAPO. Most probably would need to use Aramex Global to get it here. At £140 it's probably around 4K landed then. ;) 

https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/forks/brother-steel-gravel-fork/

brother.png

In my experience with DHL, they deliver to your door.

3 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

In my experience with DHL, they deliver to your door.

Depends on which DHL service they use. DHL Express is a courier to your door. DHL and DHL Paket are via the Post Office.