Rook Scout Gravel bike

andyrtmorgan

Finished the build at last, tried to use a 10 speed groupset, but snapped the derailleur extender trying to adjust the hanger 🙃

So used a 9 speed STI with a 9speed XT derailleur instead, they are 100% compatible (10sp and up you can't mix components)

Tyres are 700c x 44 WTB Byway. Will still change Crankset, but for now she can at least get road time.

IMG_20231119_074133.jpg

IMG_20231119_074324.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

So used a 9 speed STI with a 9speed XT derailleur instead, they are 100% compatible (10sp and up you can't mix components)

On that, you can run a 9 speed Shimano MTB rd with 10 speed shimano STIs and it works beautifully

35 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

On that, you can run a 9 speed Shimano MTB rd with 10 speed shimano STIs and it works beautifully

I tried the Ultegra 10sp STI with the 9sp XT derailleur at first, but couldn't get the shifting quite right, were you using a 9 speed or 10 speed cassette? 

Edit:

Just saw this post on another forum. I should have given the 10sti 9der more time ... Just assumed it wouldn't work 😔

Screenshot_2023-11-19-09-49-16-655_com.android.chrome.jpg.230adb608d7554c85ee634b4d6183bde.jpg

Edited by EddieV
Additional

16 minutes ago, EddieV said:

I tried the Ultegra 10sp STI with the 9sp XT derailleur at first, but couldn't get the shifting quite right, were you using a 9 speed or 10 speed cassette? 

No man, you wouldn't use a 10 speed shifter with a 9 speed cassette!

I had Ultegra 10 speed STIs and an XT 9 speed RD with an 11-40  10 speed cassette and it worked like a dream

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

No man, you wouldn't use a 10 speed shifter with a 9 speed cassette!

I had Ultegra 10 speed STIs and an XT 9 speed RD with an 11-40  10 speed cassette and it worked like a dream

😁 Was just asking Incase ... But edited response above.

So should really have tried a bit harder to get 10so

to work. Not switching sti's, derailleur and cassete again now, too much work ... 😂

Other hacks I applied to the Scout was to use a bottle cage hinge with a cable stopper to get the front derailleur to work ... and shove both the rear and front derailleur cables through the same internal cable routing holes 😉 

hack2.jpg

hack1.jpg

Edited by EddieV