New model ranges / old exits

maqsmaqs

when do brands generally launch their new ranges and models??

i know i just missed the spez clearance

It used to be September or so but that date has been slowly creeping forward, so that now Spaz, Dale and Trek launched theirs quite early in the year.

The Tour de France is usually the event where most manufacturers show off their new ranges and then release them into the retail market towards the end of the season (after Vuelta)  but with all the race/tour cancellations and delays due to COVID-19, most manufacturers seem to have started a bit earlier this year.

Edited by Dazshell

when do brands generally launch their new ranges and models??

i know i just missed the spez clearance

You did not miss much, with Corona a lot of shops have sold out all their stock and are waiting on the 2021 to arrive as people leave gyms etc and are now actually getting out. some of the bike shops I have spoken to have had their best 3 months ever.

Giant and scott have also just launch new road bikes. Brands tend to stagger the launch of new products in such a way that they have something new to the market every year.

Cannondale has gone back to dropping the model year and will launch collections from time to time. bascially they will refresh paint jobs and parts specs to keep things interesting for the consumer and extend the life cycle of current models to the full 4 yrs of the platform. Hopefully this means better resale values.

MTB brands that are freshing XCO bikes within the next 12 months

Giant Anthem and XTC

Scott Spark and Scale

Canyon Lux  (Exceed launched last year)

Intense Sniper in 2021 (needs a more permanent fix to the flexy rear end. TR version is fixed for 2020)

Giant and scott have also just launch new road bikes. Brands tend to stagger the launch of new products in such a way that they have something new to the market every year.

Cannondale has gone back to dropping the model year and will launch collections from time to time. bascially they will refresh paint jobs and parts specs to keep things interesting for the consumer and extend the life cycle of current models to the full 4 yrs of the platform. Hopefully this means better resale values.

MTB brands that are freshing XCO bikes within the next 12 months

Giant Anthem and XTC

Scott Spark and Scale

Canyon Lux  (Exceed launched last year)

Intense Sniper in 2021 (needs a more permanent fix to the flexy rear end. TR version is fixed for 2020)

so the current sniper not a good bike then? the trail one or is that the one you mentioned is fixed?

so the current sniper not a good bike then? the trail one or is that the one you mentioned is fixed?

The current Sniper XC is a god bike if you weigh under 70Kg. The rear triangle doesn't have a chain stay to seat stay brace on the drive side for weight saving. This causes flexing in the upper rocker link and wear out the bearings very quickly. Intense have made a brace that fits into the rocker link to stiffen it up .

For The Sniper Trail they added a chainstay seat stay brace.... I don't know why they didn't add it to the XC version too!

A simple hack is to buy the Trail frame and fit a shorter stroke rear shock if you only want a 100mm travel bike.

If you opt for the Trail version then you'l probably have a frame that's only slightly heavier than the XC version

The current Sniper XC is a god bike if you weigh under 70Kg. The rear triangle doesn't have a chain stay to seat stay brace on the drive side for weight saving. This causes flexing in the upper rocker link and wear out the bearings very quickly. Intense have made a brace that fits into the rocker link to stiffen it up .

For The Sniper Trail they added a chainstay seat stay brace.... I don't know why they didn't add it to the XC version too!

A simple hack is to buy the Trail frame and fit a shorter stroke rear shock if you only want a 100mm travel bike.

If you opt for the Trail version then you'l probably have a frame that's only slightly heavier than the XC version

Thanks for that advice - I can get one and it was seriously on the shortlist but this is a bit off putting for me

Thanks for that advice - I can get one and it was seriously on the shortlist but this is a bit off putting for me

For me too. I decided to wait till they update the bike. It will be revised in 2021. Or opt for the trail.

what annoys me mostly is that the SA distribution changes hands and always seems to be with people that are hard to get hold of, don't update the website and don't have the url redirected to the USA site. I would prefer to deal with Intense directly rather than deal with someone who brings in a few bikes for themself and a few mates occasionally.

If I were to change my scalpel si tomorrow it would be for the 2021 version or the Pivot mach 4 SL. Insurance costs on the pivot is half of the cannondale for the same value!

For me too. I decided to wait till they update the bike. It will be revised in 2021. Or opt for the trail.

what annoys me mostly is that the SA distribution changes hands and always seems to be with people that are hard to get hold of, don't update the website and don't have the url redirected to the USA site. I would prefer to deal with Intense directly rather than deal with someone who brings in a few bikes for themself and a few mates occasionally.

If I were to change my scalpel si tomorrow it would be for the 2021 version or the Pivot mach 4 SL. Insurance costs on the pivot is half of the cannondale for the same value!

Except try get a the Pivot - apparently that’s now an issue here too - you recommend it so I enquired

Quite difficult to buy a niche bike

Edited by Waynemol

Where's the sense in this - you only get half a fork on the Dale, based on this the Dale should have a lower insurance premium