Cradle Support Vehicles

love2fly

I came across the same dumb woman with headphones. Read the signs dummies. Trail was created from Mtb only...gotta love that in this age of PC...

yeah. had a similar conversation on the Spruit with a cyclist going the wrong way on a on way trail. He had just ridden past a sign that said so.

Such a pity when people have at their own expense created and marked trails just for some people to flat out ignore the signs.

Unfortunately thanks to social media and everyone being told how special they are we living is a more and more Narcissistic self important, self absorbed world.  Its so sad to see that good old fashioned values, morals and manners don't exist anymore, and i'm not only talking about the younger generation, see it in guys my age. 

One of my favorites is when you step aside to let someone in through a door before you and they don't even have the decency to acknowledge the act with a head nod let alone a thank you. 

but that a whole other thread.

....its just another unnecessary thing to annoy other road users and locals?

You're right it just another thing. The list is indeed growing.

Bikers have rediscovered the place. I had to wave one down (or try at least) because a 100m down the road was a dad letting his kiddo just ride all over the lane. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Runners seem to have stayed on after virtual Comrades. I mean its a nice place to run, I've done so, but again, it just adds to the melee.

Noobs mentioned, and yes DREDDY there is nowhere else really to go. Just know that lots of your greetings will go unreturned and thats ok, such is the world.

My worst is 2 people riding side by side, one in the yellow lane and one 2 metres to the right. The number of times I've had to ride over the centre painted line to pass is inexcusable.

The problem with adding slow support cars to the mix is that it seems the locals, trucks and even tourists driving through the area get even more irritated, and not more understanding of the volume increase for the 2 mornings. So their driving speeds and overtaking is getting equally more dangerous.

Now I have the chance to go during the week and its a different game completely - its bliss, but obviously not everyone can do so, so ja, frustrating times for all.

The Cradle is a really cool place to ride and it's probably amongst the safest in the Gauteng region because of the amount of people who use it. Consequently its attracted a lot of noobs in the transition to "I am now in to cycling rather than gym"

And there are a lot of us grumpy old folks who consider it our back garden and that you are playing in our playground now so you need to obey the playground rules. (Said tongue in cheek) :-). We been playing there for 15 years and now you discovered it.

So with the increased numbers comes a need to like a human being not a Knob/Box.

Do that and we will all co-exist well. 

But this is basic logic. However as we know common sense is not so common.

Simple things will keep you safe - like us back and front flashers on your bikes. Don't ride a couple deep. Look out for other groups and try not to pass on the left etc. 

We know you are excited to find our sport and very keen to experience all the things we have known about for a long time. We may be a little more jaded and not as excited as you about it all.

Given the amount of people now on bikes who want to greet and show their excitement to all their new cycling mates  and the fact that i am often dragging my tongue on the hills i wont always greet. Sometimes i am on the bike to get away from people not to meet them, so you are intruding in my bubble - that and the fact i have headphones in with loud music. Agreed it's more dangerous but its what i do to enjoy my ride. You may also get to this stage.

But like i said it's a really cool sport, a really nice place to ride and it's probably one of the toughest routes around to tackle so take it easy and learn the ropes. All sports you have to learn the rules and being noobs you will make mistakes and will likely have grumpy old veterans correct you. that's kind of the rules of life. Just you are on a bike.

Welcome

We been playing there for 15 years and now you discovered it.

Cute. Some of us have been training on those roads for double that length of time.

yeah. had a similar conversation on the Spruit with a cyclist going the wrong way on a on way trail. He had just ridden past a sign that said so.

Such a pity when people have at their own expense created and marked trails just for some people to flat out ignore the signs.

Unfortunately thanks to social media and everyone being told how special they are we living is a more and more Narcissistic self important, self absorbed world.  Its so sad to see that good old fashioned values, morals and manners don't exist anymore, and i'm not only talking about the younger generation, see it in guys my age. 

One of my favorites is when you step aside to let someone in through a door before you and they don't even have the decency to acknowledge the act with a head nod let alone a thank you. 

but that a whole other thread.

Where on the Spruit may I ask? I understand that there is loads of jeep track or dual "single lane" and obviously one keeps to the left but the only place I can think of there possibly being a one way traffic flow is at the bottom of Delta Park.

Edited by Wet Ears

You're right it just another thing. The list is indeed growing.

Bikers have rediscovered the place. I had to wave one down (or try at least) because a 100m down the road was a dad letting his kiddo just ride all over the lane. Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Runners seem to have stayed on after virtual Comrades. I mean its a nice place to run, I've done so, but again, it just adds to the melee.

Noobs mentioned, and yes DREDDY there is nowhere else really to go. Just know that lots of your greetings will go unreturned and thats ok, such is the world.

My worst is 2 people riding side by side, one in the yellow lane and one 2 metres to the right. The number of times I've had to ride over the centre painted line to pass is inexcusable.

The problem with adding slow support cars to the mix is that it seems the locals, trucks and even tourists driving through the area get even more irritated, and not more understanding of the volume increase for the 2 mornings. So their driving speeds and overtaking is getting equally more dangerous.

Now I have the chance to go during the week and its a different game completely - its bliss, but obviously not everyone can do so, so ja, frustrating times for all.

Also experinced the 2 abreast encroaching into the car lane many times with said rider completely oblivious...how the hell do they stay alive?

The Cradle is a really cool place to ride and it's probably amongst the safest in the Gauteng region because of the amount of people who use it. Consequently its attracted a lot of noobs in the transition to "I am now in to cycling rather than gym"

And there are a lot of us grumpy old folks who consider it our back garden and that you are playing in our playground now so you need to obey the playground rules. (Said tongue in cheek) :-). We been playing there for 15 years and now you discovered it.

So with the increased numbers comes a need to like a human being not a Knob/Box.

Do that and we will all co-exist well. 

But this is basic logic. However as we know common sense is not so common.

Simple things will keep you safe - like us back and front flashers on your bikes. Don't ride a couple deep. Look out for other groups and try not to pass on the left etc. 

We know you are excited to find our sport and very keen to experience all the things we have known about for a long time. We may be a little more jaded and not as excited as you about it all.

Given the amount of people now on bikes who want to greet and show their excitement to all their new cycling mates  and the fact that i am often dragging my tongue on the hills i wont always greet. Sometimes i am on the bike to get away from people not to meet them, so you are intruding in my bubble - that and the fact i have headphones in with loud music. Agreed it's more dangerous but its what i do to enjoy my ride. You may also get to this stage.

But like i said it's a really cool sport, a really nice place to ride and it's probably one of the toughest routes around to tackle so take it easy and learn the ropes. All sports you have to learn the rules and being noobs you will make mistakes and will likely have grumpy old veterans correct you. that's kind of the rules of life. Just you are on a bike.

Welcome

I get more tired greeting than riding  :drool:

20 years ago when the Cradle was undeveloped another rider was the exception....yes, we need to coexist and that means applying common human decency...but to many thats a foreign concept.

Also had a few MTB going the wrong way...the one was slap between the 2 berms at high seed (just before Lanseria circle)....some people have no idea. 

Where on the Spruit may I ask? I understand that there is loads of jeep track or dual "single lane" and obviously one keeps to the left but the only place I can think of there possibly being a one way traffic flow is at the bottom of Delta Park.

bottom of delta is the one spot,  another and the spot in question is that little climb up to the big intersection in victory park. as you go thought that little dip there is a route that goes to the left that has a no entry sign on the way up. cause that is a little flow line for the guys coming down from the intersection.

another is the line below old Parks once you cross the bridge and going down the powerline section.

bottom of delta is the one spot,  another and the spot in question is that little climb up to the big intersection in victory park. as you go thought that little dip there is a route that goes to the left that has a no entry sign on the way up. cause that is a little flow line for the guys coming down from the intersection.

another is the line below old Parks once you cross the bridge and going down the powerline section.

Gotcha

Anyone else who rides in the Cradle noticed this?

Seems there are more and more individuals/groups of road riders up to 5 or so that believe they need a support vehicle on their tail doing whatever speed they are - usually slow and acting as a mobile traffic jam...I'm specifically excluding the odd bunch of pros chasing a scooter as these riders seem to be around beginner/intermediate speed....I just think that with all the sh$t going on in the Cradle with punchups and the stupid traffic around Bidon its just another unnecessary thing to annoy other road users and locals?

I don’t get the need for a support vehicle, what happened to the days of going out for a ride with a group of cyclists only, or on your own? Bicycles are very reliable and if you can patch punctures there is no need for a support vehicle.

I don’t get the need for a support vehicle, what happened to the days of going out for a ride with a group of cyclists only, or on your own? Bicycles are very reliable and if you can patch punctures there is no need for a support vehicle.

Lazy and spoiled people?

Lazy and spoiled people?

I dunno

Cycling or most sports are generally not for lazy people

Spoilt maybe, or lazy to fix their own punctures

Or its  a "if you don't look good (look like a pro team) you can't ride good "