Best value for money MTB

WhiteSpider

Thanks for the suggestions, I would ride a medium sized bike 19 I think it is.

I don't want to get ripped off on the secondhand market so I'm not quite sure where to start looking?

Well that is the actual reason the hub exists.

Post some of the ones you like on here, and the community will look after you.

Most people here would be happy to give advice, or even go an look for you if the bike is in a different area.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiderman, looking at your two links, the merida is lighter, allot actually, more of a racer, the silverback, as you can see, has a slacker head angle, more fun in trails, downhills, more relaxed ride i would say.

Both are really cool, it all depends on what kind of riding you will be doing. That x fusion dropper on the slade is tit, very good. Its a tough choice. Hope this helps. 

That Titan drone comes with Shimano xt/slx isn't that also worth comparing?

Could the hubbers on here help me out and tell me which is more important on a mtb, a fork or the groupset, the bikes I'm looking at either have a good fork or good groupset or a dropper post.

I'm new to mtb riding so I wouldn't know where to start.

I'm also not sure how much travel I will need?

The bikes that have been recommended to me are:

silverback sladee comp 

Titan drone elite

Merida big nine 

A decent air shock would be top of my list in this price bracket.

A dropper post certainly would be NICE .... no use having a dropper with a crap shock though ....

Gears are consumables .... not as if you are going to get to the best gears with a cheaper bike.  In fact even mid range bikes now are often shipped with lower end gears.  :thumbdown:   So get the one with an air shock, hopefully a dropper, and know that you will replace the gears in a year or two ....

If they are starting out, I would suggest you rather go with a 29er hard tail in that price bracket.

Ok I just thought it was a good deal being full sus, are 26r dead now? 

Ok I just thought it was a good deal being full sus, are 26r dead now?

No definitely not. 26ers are definitely not dead.

The thinking is more that the extra moving parts of an old duelie all add costs and complications.

When starting out, simple is best. The 29 wheels will help make up for slightly easier riding. My first bike ever was a Fuji Alu 29er and it was great.

Edited by Patchelicious

No definitely not. 26ers are definitely not dead.

The thinking is more that the extra moving parts of an old duelie all add costs and complications.

When starting out, simple is best. The 29 wheels will help make up for slightly easier riding. My first bike ever was a Fuji Alu 29er and it was great.

Would you suggest a new bike or something used? The problem with looking used its difficult to find the right size or specs

Talk to Wes or Ian at Melo Velo about a Norco Charger

I looked at their website, the charger is 18k which is 3k over my budget, I doubt they will discount that much.

I looked at their website, the charger is 18k which is 3k over my budget, I doubt they will discount that much.

Just try, you may be surprised, I got my Norco for a fair bit less than the advertised price

Would you suggest a new bike or something used? The problem with looking used its difficult to find the right size or specs

Used. Size is easy, there are loads of mediums around.

Specs will be dictated by your budget. And specs will be far higher on 2nd hand.

A good Alu 29er with SLX is a great bike.

Used. Size is easy, there are loads of mediums around.

Specs will be dictated by your budget. And specs will be far higher on 2nd hand.

A good Alu 29er with SLX is a great bike.

I haven't found a 29er with slx and decent fork on here for my price range but I've still got a few months to go and I will keep looking.