Best value for money MTB

WhiteSpider

I haven't found a 29er with slx and decent fork on here for my price range but I've still got a few months to go and I will keep looking.

There is a second bicycles group on Facebook too. Be careful of Guntree.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a second bicycles group on Facebook too. Be careful of Guntree.

Thanks I'll look around.

how much travel would I need?

Is it possible to get a carbon hardtail for 15k used of course .

Just try, you may be surprised, I got my Norco for a fair bit less than the advertised price

was it the charger 1 or 2 because their website has both?

was it the charger 1 or 2 because their website has both?

I got a Fluid FS1, I emailed about a 2019 but they didnt have, I got a 2020 for less than the advertised price of the 2019

Yoh

Learning mtb skills are easier on some bikes than others. Skills like manual and American bunnyhop.

So, I hear you asking how much travel to get. That depends on what level you want to take your riding. Big jumps and gnarly downhill sections require lots of travel. Beginners typically don't do this because you'll die.

I advise you to get the Slade or similar with a slack head tube angle. It'll feel more stable.

Everybody starting out wants a black sworks because it wins the Epic, but that's not a bike to learn on.

Good luck and don't forget heels down on the downhill, and look ahead.

Thats a good rig spider. Good rims.

And the other components any good?

I haven't managed to get hold of the seller to ask the year model or what condition it is in, if anyone knows what year it is that would be ver helpful 

The rest of the components look good to. Seeing is believing. But a carbon bike like this seems very tempting at that price. I have no idea how old it is though.  

Please feel free to give me your suggestions on any bike on sale at the moment or the ones I have linked. I'm really open to all advice!!

Hi Spider. Are there bike shops where you stay. Have you test riden anything yet? Will you do flat, gravel, climbing, xc type, or technical trails, forests, hectic stuff....Have you made 100% sure on bike fit, maybe at a bike shop, to actually see what size fits you. Also, you must like how the bike looks, sounds stupid, but you must be happy with what you bought. Also, carbon sometimes is not the be all and end all. Some Alu bikes come in at 12kg, some under that, where carbon might only be 1kg lighter. If you have a budget of say 15k, you can get a good new bike or really good second hand, but then again, you need to view the bike options, see it for yourself, ride it, pics look different to real life. 

You will still need to shell out bucks on a helmet, padded shorts, decent pedals, clothing. Allot of bike shops let you test ride in the parking lot or wherever. See what you like, slacker or steeper, chill or aggressive. As i said, and others said as well, it all depends on what riding you gonna do.  

A decent air shock would be top of my list in this price bracket.

A dropper post certainly would be NICE .... no use having a dropper with a crap shock though ....

Gears are consumables .... not as if you are going to get to the best gears with a cheaper bike.  In fact even mid range bikes now are often shipped with lower end gears.  :thumbdown:   So get the one with an air shock, hopefully a dropper, and know that you will replace the gears in a year or two ....

WhiteSpider further to my previous reply.

In this price range the bikes are very similar, subject to the items  noted above.

Now find that ONE that moves your soul !  The one that puts a smile on your face and that wants to make you ride is worth way more than the one with a marginally better specification level.

For some it is the colour of the bike, for some the flowing lines of the frame .... I have seen somebody choose between two bikes based on the quality of the weld lines near the head tube - though he chose the "lesser" of the two bikes, he ENJOYED it until he outgrew it and moved on to the next bike.

Happy hunting.  Hope you find that "one bike" that makes you feel young again.  :thumbup:

I bought a 2015 Carbon Merida Big Nine 5000 for R17k in Mid May. It's my 1st bike and basically had all those specs. Has given me SO many happy hours already and no issues. It looked the part, I looked at the picture of it every 15mins and I never doubted giving the previous owner my cash - despite it burning the pocket.

It's all fine and well getting something with heaps of travel or some fancy geometry but the reality is that when you do end up venturing out onto the trails and see your 1st drop or rocky single track you're not gonna be too fussed on the suspension but rather how the heck you're gonna walk down it nevermind ride a bike! And that's only after the initial 1st few weeks learning how to uncleat ha ha.. 

My point - get something that YOU think looks sexy, is well looked after and you don't doubt having spent your R15k. Once you've done some/plenty hours on the saddle you're gonna start understanding what you really want! I speak from experience with having been new to the sport in May to now riding almost every day and learning tons every time I go out! What I thought I wanted in a bike is now very different to what I want now.. and likely that'll keep changing as I do more hours learning and narrow it down!

Pick the bike that has the most views in your browser history and I guarantee in 6 months time you're gonna be able to know exactly what you need in a bike. Then you can look out for 'The One' all while still being able to ride you're 1st steed and enjoying the sport.

Edited by KennyZA