1X Road Bike Conversion

FondTF2

General question to hubland.

Has anyone converted their road bike to a 1x 11/12 speed.

Am currently running Ultegra 8000 11 speed and am toying with the idea of converting to a 1X11.   

Looking to replace current chainrings on the crank with a single oval ring.

Want to know if anyone else has gone this route and what are the pros/cons.

I went from a Shimano 105 2x11 (running a 11-36 cassette with compact chainrings) to 1x by replacing the crankset with a GRX 40t one.

In my case I also swopped to a GRX 812 derailleur with an all-important clutch, you’ll likely need a chainguide if you’re keeping your standard derailleur.

It works really well, although I’ll probably swop the cassette for a 11-42 soon.

I'm just waiting for my frame so that I can start my 1x roadie build. Chose etap 11 Speed with a 9-34T cassette from E-Thirteen with a 44T chainring upfront to give me roughly the same range as 52/36 11-28T.

Did a bike 1×10 for my son. Used a 9 speed XT derailleur, 54 narrow wide in front and 36-11 in the back. Had to use a chain guide too, chain kept dropping despite narrow wide and MTB derailleur. Works perfect now, but was a lot of trial and error. I would think a clutch derailleur compatible for 11 or 12 road bike is a must for your project, maybe a chain guide.

I went from a Shimano 105 2x11 (running a 11-36 cassette with compact chainrings) to 1x by replacing the crankset with a GRX 40t one.

In my case I also swopped to a GRX 812 derailleur with an all-important clutch, you’ll likely need a chainguide if you’re keeping your standard derailleur.

It works really well, although I’ll probably swop the cassette for a 11-42 soon.

Where did you get the grx from? I also want a crank and rd

Thanks for the feedback.

Currently have a Long Cage RD as run 11-32.

Looking to go with a 44 on the front so as has been said trial and error and lets see.

General question to hubland.

Has anyone converted their road bike to a 1x 11/12 speed.

Am currently running Ultegra 8000 11 speed and am toying with the idea of converting to a 1X11.   

Looking to replace current chainrings on the crank with a single oval ring.

Want to know if anyone else has gone this route and what are the pros/cons.

Yes, I have done this. On two road bikes. I actually have an oval Wolftooth 1 x chainring that's specific for the Ultegra 8000 crank. I also have an Ultegra RX derailleur. Send me an PM if you're interested. I have quite a bit of experience with these kinds of conversions.

Ive done a 1x sram setup for my road bike.

50 tooth up front, 11speed Sram 1x rear deraileur with clutch and a 11-36 cassette works wonders.

Sram cassettes also have a good distribution of gears, shimano cassette jumps between gears feel somewhat uncomfortable.

Works great, havent missed the front derailleur ... Especially while watching others struggle with front shifts????

• 3 weeks later...

Seems appropriate ask: Would a XT 10 speed derailleur work on a 105 10 speed setup in place of the 105 derailleur?

So is the pull of the STI same for both derailleurs  

Seems appropriate ask: Would a XT 10 speed derailleur work on a 105 10 speed setup in place of the 105 derailleur?

So is the pull of the STI same for both derailleurs

No, a 9sp Shimano MTB (any, SLX, XT, XTR, DEORE) will work though