Gravel Route - Arabella to Botrivier

Tomik

Hey guys. I'm hoping you can help.

I'm planning a big gravel-ish loop from Grabouw, via Elgin (Highlands Rd) down to Arabella and then up to Botrivier and back to Grabouw (via van der Stel Pass).

I can't seem to find an obvious connection from the Arabella area to Botrivier. Strava routes function appears to take me through Wildekrans (obviously popular as the Wines2Whales goes through there and they have their own trails). My problem is I don't know if those trails are accessible from anywhere but the estate entrance...

So, can anyone help me get from Arabella to Botrivier?

If there's no option, the R43 is a possibility but how safe is that stretch?

Or if anyone has a gpx of a similar 100+km gravel loop in the area, that would be great too. 

Thanks in advance.

Tomi

Edited by Tomik

Honingklip farm is in the middle of that stretch ...

The farmer has 4x4 trails on his farm. Worth contacting him and asking about options ....

EDIT - Speak to Richard Middleman at the farm

Edited by ChrisF

Honingklip and Wildekrans are trail routes/loops that are only accessible from there starting points where you get your permit. You need to get from point A to point B, so a trail loop is no good. Even if you only use a section of the trail, at some point you have to get off it at a point that was not intended for entry/exit, which requires climbing fences or gates. That does not go down well with landowners and spoils the relationship for local trailbuilders and riders. Arrabella to Botrivier is not even 10km and the R43 is very safe to ride. Halfway on your left will be the Salandra garage/shop/farmstall which will be ideal to refeul and stock up on food for the rest of the trip.

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely not intending to jump fences or even ride on private land, so was hoping there were some public dirt roads.

It looks like the karwyderskraal road is an option but then there's a short section on the N2 to get back to Botrivier.

Would that route be advisable?

To ride from Arabella to Botrivier the R43 is good. To use Karwyderskral is out of the way.

I'm not sure of your route from Botrivier onwards though?

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely not intending to jump fences or even ride on private land, so was hoping there were some public dirt roads.

It looks like the karwyderskraal road is an option but then there's a short section on the N2 to get back to Botrivier.

Would that route be advisable?