100mm Hardtails are death traps

ajnkzn

I disagree with your thread title OP.

Went to Giba with my 100mm steel hardtail and had loads of fun, and i'm still alive. My heart had a better chance of killing me at that stage of fitness than the bike did.

I agree with openmind, ride the xc bike and your skills will develop like back in the day when you did DH.

If you are posting to get some kind of support for your justification to get a new bike, by all means, do it. The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

If I had the means, I would have a bike of all disciplines in my garage. That's why I'm stuck with my current bike for life. So it has to suffice on the long gravel days, the grin-till-your-cheeks-hurt at Giba and Karkloof, and the loose rocky trails up here in Gauteng.

It still is more bike than I can handle. Even with a steep HA, 100mm fork and no dropper.

I'm inclined to agree. Before I got back into riding, I went around Giba on my old 26er Trek 4500 complete with pogo stick fork and V brakes. I had a ball. 

Thanks guys - tongue in cheek title I promise.

I would classify myself as a lot more competent than at least 60% of people on a bike but for Cascades, Giba's new enduro / jump lines and the more challenging stuff at Karkloof etc, an XC hardtail is not going to work.

It's not about going faster its about a "safer" and more playful bike that can still allow long days on backroads or a Sani2C with skinny tyres and a lighter seatpost etc.

Yeah, it’s also pretty much about getting used to riding different types of bikes and getting comfortable on each one. If I compare my 29er 100mm Chisel without a dropper post to my 170mm Enduro I’m just as fast or just a little bit slower down most of trails in Tokai doing most of the jumps and gaps on the hardtail aswell. However I’m not even going to think of taking the Chisel down The Plumber in Jonkershoek.

I love riding fast on the XC bike, it reminds me of MTB’ing in the 80’s and 90’s. What must be said though is geometry, suspension and 29ers have made riding these soooo much easier.

You took a knife to a gun fight, that's all.

What were you thinking?!?

Thinking the same as your signature - the bike is secondary to skill and fun.

I am sure this 100mm travel hardtail is plenty capable as an example

p5pb19170700.jpg

.p5pb19171345.jpg

Thats the link I just shared - looks great but D Shape Seatpost is a fail so no dropper...

Edited by andrew5336

Yes I see it can be shimmed to work with a 27.2mm dropper but they aren't great cos they generally only have 80-100mm travel.

Edited by andrew5336

Yeah, it’s also pretty much about getting used to riding different types of bikes and getting comfortable on each one. If I compare my 29er 100mm Chisel without a dropper post to my 170mm Enduro I’m just as fast or just a little bit slower down most of trails in Tokai doing most of the jumps and gaps on the hardtail aswell. However I’m not even going to think of taking the Chisel down The Plumber in Jonkershoek.

I love riding fast on the XC bike, it reminds me of MTB’ing in the 80’s and 90’s. What must be said though is geometry, suspension and 29ers have made riding these soooo much easier.

Yes that's what my HT reminds me of, it even has 26" wheels like the 90's. I rode most of Tokai's gnarlier trails on it the other day. It may well be almost as quick as an enduro but its so much sketchier and way more tiring. One thing a bike like that does is make you appreciate your forgiving long travel bike.  

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone advise - considering a much shorter stem (40 or 50mm from the standard 80mm) and carbon DH riser bars instead of the flat carbon ones I have on now.

I fit exactly between medium and large frame sizes so I think that part of my problem is that I'm too stretched out on the bike (frame is a large).

Would rather err slightly on the "happy when it points downhill" than ideal fast racing position.

I just worry that going so much shorter will affect the balance and my arms / weight will be too far back / off the front axle?

Edited by andrew5336

Can anyone advise - considering a much shorter stem (40 or 50mm from the standard 80mm) and carbon DH riser bars instead of the flat carbon ones I have on now.

I fit exactly between medium and large frame sizes so I think that part of my problem is that I'm too stretched out on the bike (frame is a large).

Would rather err slightly on the "happy when it points downhill" than ideal fast racing position.

I just worry that going so much shorter will affect the balance and my arms / weight will be too far back / off the front axle?

look out in the classifieds for a cheap as chips second hand bar and stem in order to try these out .... or if you have a good relationship with your LBS they may also be able to arrange a bar and stem for you to try out.

Another option is to buy a stem and bar combo from Rapide ... exceptional pricing and very decent products ... if it works for you, then bonus, if not you can sell it on the classifieds and not loose much from your purchase price.