Help me build a lekke Hardtail

Joe Soap

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I need to start buying parts.

I don't have nearly same budget as some surfer dude with not enough bikes...

I need to buy smart and sensible.

Handle bars, and drive train is sorted for now.

I see a couple of big spending component up ahead.

1. 120mm fork

2. 29" Boost wheels

3. Brakes

4 Dropper. 

I especially need some input on wheels and brakes, don't know what I don't know yet.

I don't have a huge reference framework, best bike I've ridden (and own) is a mid-range carbon Giant Anthem.

Here's what I'm thinking

1. Get a 2nd hand Fox 34 or RS Pike/SID with 120 to 130 travel. New forks are for rich people

2. ?????

3. THe Giant has Guide RSC brakes which I like so they are on the list so far unless there is something available that beats it from a value point of view?

4. Lyne or Brand X or Brand Y. (31.6 150 min drop)

The idea is not bomb this bike down the steepest hill that I can find but it also shouldn't be specced like a 10 year old XC bike, somewhere in the middle.

Any advice would be appreciated. Top 5 most valuable suggestions gets to take it for a spin when it's done! 

I'll also update this as the build progresses.

Thats a crap frame and you won't enjoy it. I will buy it from you.

Suggestion noted. Name on the list for the "spin when complete" but don;t think it will stay there..

YES! Finally an awesome thread.

If possible, do 120mm fork on that frame. The intended riding suits 120mm perfectly and it won't hold you back in my opinion. But don't go smaller than a 34 or Pike. But 130mm won't ruin it, I see there is 34 Fox on the hub. If I have to be real here, I don't really see any little good bargain buys on the hub right now for forks. But if you want it spot on, 120mm is the call.

A COTIC frame without a HOPE seat clamp is whack:

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/hope-bolt-seat-clamp?gclid=CjwKCAjwsan5BRAOEiwALzomX_RlhxJuzS13bFC2ewFTgPBmQI7pHYH7g2k8He5GYdUJl6NIdo6DYBoCJeAQAvD_BwE

Wheels something like this: (they strong wheels these and the weight isn't that bad)

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-wheels/410427/dt-swiss-m1900-wheelset

You are looking for a nice wider rim with this bike and nice beefy tyres, beefy tyres (for rear especially even strongly consider getting a cush core or similar just for the back) and hardtails always look so awesome with thick wheels in my opinion, for that extra just send it value.

Brakes are up to what you like man, if you have a nice set just keep using those or whatever you won't need brakes with this sick bike!  :clap:

Edited by Hello Ruan

It really is a thing of beauty (those tyres man damn, black stanchions would have really looked so much better, or Kashima even a Fox would look sick with that orange damn):

post-125294-0-81962100-1596643640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hello Ruan

I miss mine so much... it's an awesome frame.

From my experience, go 130mm on the fork, it climbs just as well as 120, but just gives you that little more confidence on descents. Fox 34 or Pike is the sweet spot for that frame.

I would go with some Lyne AMP wheels, or Stans Flows if you can find them at the righr price.

Brakes - my standard reccommendation is Formula Curas. Do a little search in the forums, lots has been said about them.

Dropper - Lyne Contour, as much drop as you can fit.

Happy building!!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Now I need to start buying parts.

I don't have nearly same budget as some surfer dude with not enough bikes...

I need to buy smart and sensible.

Handle bars, and drive train is sorted for now.

I see a couple of big spending component up ahead.

1. 120mm fork

2. 29" Boost wheels

3. Brakes

4 Dropper. 

I especially need some input on wheels and brakes, don't know what I don't know yet.

I don't have a huge reference framework, best bike I've ridden (and own) is a mid-range carbon Giant Anthem.

Here's what I'm thinking

1. Get a 2nd hand Fox 34 or RS Pike/SID with 120 to 130 travel. New forks are for rich people

2. ?????

3. THe Giant has Guide RSC brakes which I like so they are on the list so far unless there is something available that beats it from a value point of view?

4. Lyne or Brand X or Brand Y. (31.6 150 min drop)

The idea is not bomb this bike down the steepest hill that I can find but it also shouldn't be specced like a 10 year old XC bike, somewhere in the middle.

Any advice would be appreciated. Top 5 most valuable suggestions gets to take it for a spin when it's done! 

I'll also update this as the build progresses.

no one has enough bikes - some people have fancy houses, fancy cars, children, credit cards, electricity bills, petrol or diesel bills, expensive wives etc,  I have bikes

But as I like your idea, I may be able to save you money - don't buy any brakes - I think I have a set of the brakes you want.  They aren't new but there is nothing wrong with them and shipping will be the only thing you pay.  But I am away and can only confirm that I definitely have them and that they are what you want on Monday.

If they are the correct brakes, this gets me a spin for sure

I wondered who got that frame. I was look at it repeatedly asking my self not to buy it. Congratulations on getting that. 

My 2 rands worth on what I would build as an all rounder: 

1. 120mm fork: 130 on that frame. 140 on the later one with the long shot geometry. I know they recommended the 100 - 120 on that generation but I've ridden that model and a 130 works really well. Pikes and Revelations with 35 legs are good choices. Put money into a decent fork. You only have one end with bounce so get something nice. Unfortunately there seem to have been lot of forks for sale a few weeks back but now not so much. Also have a good look at MRP ribbons and stages and there have been some good priced Ohlins recently but I heard mixed reviews about them. 

2. 29" Boost wheels: Those hopes on flows above seem like they could be a great deal. You could get them from CWC for a song earlier this year so second hand you could save nicely. Either that or the Lyne wheels are great as well. If they are non boost don't worry, Hope make a great converter set and no dishing needed. The DT swiss aren't bad either. 

3. Brakes: See what is about in the classifieds. I'd alway look for Formula Curas first then other things after that. SLX and Deore brakes are bang for buck. All depends on your budget. I think someone (Meezo?) did have a pair of Curas for sale at a good price. Maybe send him a message.

4 Dropper: Unless you want to get a long one or an adjustable one then you can't go past Lyne. Local, good price, easy to service, great customer service and support. Only other brands I'd look at are OneUp and BikeYoke but you'll be paying a lot more. 

5. Group: Look at the Eagle set above and see what the package price is. Else SLX is pretty faultless. It depends if you are looking for an 11 or 12 speed and new or pre-loved. There seem to be a lot of groupsets about as poeple are up grading to shimano 12. I seem to remember the BB being a bit low on those Cotics. I might be mistaken but well worth thinking over the short crankset. 

I'm putting a lot of thought in on this subject as well as I've got time before my new Cotic arrives. 

Yes to badass hardtails!

Only input I have is to not leave your tyre budget as the sacrificial one. As your sole contact patch with the dirt you want to be sure you're putting the best combo you can on there or you won't get the most out of your other component choices.

I can very strongly vouch for large volume tyres, especially on a hardtail, so I'd look for the meatiest rubber/rim combo you can fit (2.6?) that matches your riding style.

Sure, they're a consumable and can always be changed at a later stage, but on a HT I feel your tyre choice plays a more significant role in the bike's ability vs a dual sus. You've got less margin for error and you're relying on your rubber a lot more. Also good to keep your intended tyre size in mind when choosing wheels to get a good match.

Edited by TyronLab

Im running  a 140mm pike on my solaris max, i think 120mm whould be better but  dont put anything less than a Pike on. 

The bike inspires confedance and you dont want to be let down on the rocky decents.

I would also recomend a 150mm dropper post  for that

Thanks everyone for the inputs, much appreciated.

Hope seat clamp added to the shopping list (also looking for ZS44 and EC44 Hope headset). Both in orange would be perfect!

I build my hardtail a couple of weeks ago and went with a Rock Shox SID 120mm Twist Loc. The fork is amazing. I would highly recommend it.