Help me build a lekke Hardtail

Joe Soap

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot to ask, what's the consensus regarding 28 vs 32 spokes (if any)?

Apart from the number of spokes, what's the difference?

Or does one manufacturer just prefer 28 over 32 and the other 32 over 28?

Look at the wheel as a whole. Strong rims and spokes? Then go 28 hole.

28 hole wheels have more flex which might be nice on a hardtail. I also never break spokes on the front wheel.

My next wheelset will be 28 hole front, 32 hole rear. With double butted spokes. 

Love the thread. Different shades of orange might not look so lekke.

Yeah scared of that.

Also undecided if I should go full OCD I.e. Nothing but black and 100% matching orange (only other colour allowed is 6 yellow letters on each tyre), or should I rather rate the component value/functionality above the colour.

Next on the shopping list:

- Tab mount (not sure of terminology) brake adapter for 180mm rear disc

- Seat post clamp 34.9 mm

- Headset ZS44/EC44

Any help with sourcing a headset would help, looked at all the online shops that I know of and can't seem to find stock. Preferred brands are Hope/Cane Creek 

Pike or Fox34 is the way to go. 120mm minimum. 140mm absolute max.

As an alternative there is an Ohlins RXF34 up for sale in the classifieds, which reviews very well. I've just bought an Ohlins RXF36 120mm for my Niner ROS, which I haven't ridden yet but will review and report when I have.

Crain has an older Pike up at around R5k, and I know Jacobus h123 has a few suitable forks available, and is a top bloke to deal with.

I'm running American Classic 3834 (34mm internal width) rims on Tune hubs and they give great support to wider tyres. My current tyre setup is Maxxis Agressor 2.5wt back and Minion DHF2 2.6 front.

Dropper is essential for rowdy hardtails.

You are welcome to dm me if I can help further.

You are going to have so much fun.

120mm fork with 27.5 wheels, the best for any sort of mountain biking my friend. Mechanically. Get something for that is good but within your budget.

Next on the shopping list:

- Tab mount (not sure of terminology) brake adapter for 180mm rear disc

- Seat post clamp 34.9 mm

- Headset ZS44/EC44

Any help with sourcing a headset would help, looked at all the online shops that I know of and can't seem to find stock. Preferred brands are Hope/Cane Creek

Isiko sports (local CC distro) website show stock of the cane creek top and bottom headset cups separately.

ec44/zs44

https://isikosports.co.za/Headsets-c23798660

Ps: I have a hope one now and used to have the cane creek one. The extra money for the hope one is not justified imo. Exactly the same thing.

Edited by morneS555

Ps: I have a hope one now and used to have the cane creek one. The extra money for the hope one is not justified imo. Exactly the same thing.

Referring to 40 or 110 series?

I need a Sram brake lever rubber boot like the below.

Any suggestion where to find one or anyone having a broken lever lying around who's boot i can use?

post-88351-0-10674900-1597638926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe Soap

Cant find it on website but anyone know the diamter of the seatpost for a silverback slade trail.  Need a dropper not sure of the size.  I thnk its 30.9mm but need to be sure.

Cant find it on website but anyone know the diamter of the seatpost for a silverback slade trail. Need a dropper not sure of the size. I thnk its 30.9mm but need to be sure.

Yup, 30.9mm