Garmin Battery Replacement

WR 1.0

Has anyone replaced (successfully) a battery on an Edge device? My 800 is, after years of faultless service, starting to wear out. The battery is probably only giving 5 hrs of usage. (alternatively, is this something that Garmin would consider for upgrading to a newer model with their swop process?)

Has anyone replaced (successfully) a battery on an Edge device? My 800 is, after years of faultless service, starting to wear out. The battery is probably only giving 5 hrs of usage. (alternatively, is this something that Garmin would consider for upgrading to a newer model with their swop process?)

Yes they will. Go to Rosebank, fill in form, wait for email, pay and collect upgrade.

Yes they will. Go to Rosebank, fill in form, wait for email, pay and collect upgrade.

They don’t do upgrades, I am waiting 3 weeks for my Fenix as they swap it for the exact model that you sent in. They also refuse to tell me how long it will be till I get my replacement.

They don’t do upgrades, I am waiting 3 weeks for my Fenix as they swap it for the exact model that you sent in. They also refuse to tell me how long it will be till I get my replacement.

They always offer a newer model...maybe you Fenix is from China[emoji1]

ok, just spoke to Garmin. Was advised ot book it in as they do not do repairs, especially on old devices. They will do a damage report and then give me a quote of a replacement or upgrade device.

They always offer a newer model...maybe you Fenix is from China[emoji1]

Isn’t everything ultimately, but no was bought locally and asked them twice, beginning of the year when I noticed it was getting long in the tooth and again when I eventually managed to drag out of them that they sent me a quote for something they do not have and was told both times they have no upgrade policy.

8f69d65af134af9a85239061a3e3af74.jpg

They been sitting with it for over 2 weeks now and refuse to give an ETA for said replacement.

Edited by Reme Le Hane

Isn’t everything ultimately, but no was bought locally and asked them twice, beginning of the year when I noticed it was getting long in the tooth and again when I eventually managed to drag out of them that they sent me a quote for something they do not have and was told both times they have no upgrade policy.

8f69d65af134af9a85239061a3e3af74.jpg

They been sitting with it for over 2 weeks now and refuse to give an ETA for said replacement.

Just climbed onto this little roller coaster ....

Bought a Frontrunner 35 in February.  I dont mind the 5-odd bpm that it reads differently to the chest straps.  But every so often it just stops recording my HR for 30 to 60 minutes ....  Couple of times a month the HR would be "erratic" ...  Yesterday's ride was recorded with a low average HR, on the Edge 520, which makes sense as I on the ebike and idling along with Maritz (9-year old).  During the same period the FR35 shows a maximum of 171 for almost 30 minutes !  :eek:   :wacko:   Post ride the watch has been erratic for some time already, but I have not gotten around to measuring my HR with another device to be able to compare data.

I made screen prints of the different recordings for the same time, and handed in the unit at SportsmansWarehouse.

The FR35 has been discontinued, which is why I got it on a very good deal in February .... so let's see what offer they come back with  ....

• 1 month later...

Don't want to count my chickens but just changed the battery on my +-10yr old Edge 705.

Busy charging, so will see how effective this Chinese replacement battery is on next ride.

Was getting low battery after about an hour with the old battery, so this should at least be better than that.

705 may be old, but it does everything I need it to. :)

Also wasn't really planning on forking out cash on a new head unit at this stage. LOL

PS:

Are the Garmin swaps new or refurbished units.?

Could the delay be that they are awaiting a suitable refurbished unit.?

Edited by Thomo

I have done i with one of these ebay batteries you need a special torx screwdriver as well.

Battery swap was easy and straightforward there are some video's on the web.

Getting the screen back on was a bit tougher its not just screw it back on as the pressure regulates the touch screen so needs to be quite evenly and not full on. Took a couple of go's to get it right worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks later on.

Then after a snow race I left it on the car roof most likely never to be seen again.

Bought a 820 later on which is a real pain in the ass gonna be send of for warranty next week just over a year old, rarely connects to pc, battery already almost dead(the 800 too 5 intense years to die) and one of the eyelets broke. It went to a phase that it changed map and road coulours all green by itself so I couldn't navigate anymore as well.

Don't want to count my chickens but just changed the battery on my +-10yr old Edge 705.

Busy charging, so will see how effective this Chinese replacement battery is on next ride.

Was getting low battery after about an hour with the old battery, so this should at least be better than that.

705 may be old, but it does everything I need it to. :)

Also wasn't really planning on forking out cash on a new head unit at this stage. LOL

PS:

Are the Garmin swaps new or refurbished units.?

Could the delay be that they are awaiting a suitable refurbished unit.?

I took mine (800) to Garmin to see if they can replace or potentially swop out for a refurbished one (810, 20). They offered me an upgrade at R7k to a 830...... I politely declined. They shipped my 800 back to me free of charge within 3 days. The 800 still works flawlessly, the battery only lasting 5 hrs or so is just a hassle.

I took mine (800) to Garmin to see if they can replace or potentially swop out for a refurbished one (810, 20). They offered me an upgrade at R7k to a 830...... I politely declined. They shipped my 800 back to me free of charge within 3 days. The 800 still works flawlessly, the battery only lasting 5 hrs or so is just a hassle.

Garmin advised me to send in the unit to assess for possible replacement.

I anticipated like replacement to be a 530 at probably R3k+.?

Managed to find a reasonably inexpensive battery which I'm hoping will restore the 705 to its former glory. :)

Little bit of fiddling to fit but reasonably straightforward.

Edited by Thomo

Got a 920XT, is a few years old. Battery doesn’t last more than 5 hours. What’s interesting is that I noticed the battery life decline substantially after a software upgrade. Not sure if this is built into upgrades, or is coincidental. 

Not sure if this is built into upgrades, or is coincidental. 

Apple has been caught out doing this on Iphones so could be. Its obviously to phase out older models but they said it was to protect the older weaker battery