Help: Used 2013 Scott Spark 900 SL Full Carbon

Shaun23

Hi Guys, i am new to mountain biking. Started this year on a hardtail and have been really loving the sport. Sold my hardtail as i want to get a dual suspension. My budget is not great, i would like to spend less than 25k. In that price bracket there are not many nice new dual suspensions so i have decided to go 2nd hand. I found a 2013 Scott Spark at a bike shop, the bike has a lot of scratches but rides really well and has great components, SRAM brakes and groupset 1 x 12, and its full carbon. They want 20k for it. I am looking to keep it for about a year, i dont think it will depreciate so much. 

Is this a good deal, they have newer Scott Sparks, 2016 and 2017 for around the same price but they are aluminuim. 

The bikes frame is very scratched, was thinking to respray it but the guys at the shop say its no point.

I want to do XC and some trails,

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Shaun

post-165861-0-44584000-1596709723_thumb.jpg

Edited by ShaunyG

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad deal, you say the frame is scratched up quite badly? This can easily be rectified by one of the many carbon repairers in the market. This will most probably set you back between R1500 - R2500 which still leaves you under the R25k mark. 

I would say go for it. Scott is a good brand and you'll enjoy it

When last were the fork and shock serviced? Bearings in the swingarm running smoothly? Condition of the chain, cassette and chainwheel? Rims running true with no cracks or big dings? Wheel bearings running smooth? And most importantly, is it the correct size for you?

Also, have a look in the classifieds, I see some nicer looking bikes than that:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/c/dual-suspension-bikes?maximum_price=25000

Also what shock is on the back? The 2013 I think had a DT Swiss shock mounted which is not the best and general servicing is a bit of an issue. Rockshox or Fox unit would be much better performance and serviceability wise 

Its from Bike Market, they say it is all serviced, good to go. Can take the bike for a week and if i am not happy i can bring it back. Also they give me 3 months warranty on the frame. The only thing i didn't like on the bike was the handlebars, even though its carbon they are quite narrow. Coming from a hardtail 7k bike this thing feels like a dream. Was just thinking if for 22k can i get something better as a first dual suspension.

Appreciate all the help, Regards

Don’t be put off by an aluminium frame.

Personally I would rather buy a newer model alu frame bike than an older carbon bike.

Quite a bit has changed between 2013 and 2018 for example.

Try look out for a Momsen Vipa. I’ve seen a few around for R25k. You will find the right bike.

Ps. What kind of scratches are on the frame?

Don’t be put off by an aluminium frame.

Personally I would rather buy a newer model alu frame bike than an older carbon bike.

Quite a bit has changed between 2013 and 2018 for example.

Try look out for a Momsen Vipa. I’ve seen a few around for R25k. You will find the right bike.

Ps. What kind of scratches are on the frame?

Thanks for the advice, i will look out for a Vipa. 

The bike just has quite a few scuffs on the frame and crank. Suspension feels great and the bike is super light. The salesman has a newer Scott 2016, same price but he is saying to me you cannot compare the two bikes, as the only reason this is 22k is because it has scuffs on it.

The nice thing is, i can take the bike for the weekend and try it out and if i dont like it i can take it back on Monday no questions asked.

The Spark is a great fun bike. Given the spec and price I would say go for it. Fixing marks on a carbon frame is easy.

Thanks a lot bud, would you or anyone else recommend a place to take the bike to fix the carbon frame? Apparently im looking at 2-3k?

Thanks a lot bud, would you or anyone else recommend a place to take the bike to fix the carbon frame? Apparently im looking at 2-3k?

I would start by seeing what you get out with rubbing compound and polish think you will be surprised. If you are in western cape I would say CBR in D'ville.

I would start by seeing what you get out with rubbing compound and polish think you will be surprised. If you are in western cape I would say CBR in D'ville.

Im in jhb

Cliff at Cycle Art

Those swing arm bearing creak like crazy!

I agree with Bob, I'm sure you can find better bike on thehub.