Order from overseas recently?

Rock Guy

I'm planning to place an order from BikeYoke in Gemany soon, they ship for free globally using Deutshe Post (which I believe ends up being SA postal service once it lands in SA). Anyone ordered something from overseas recently using similar channels? I'm just wondering what the timing is looking like right now.

I could go the Aramex Global Shopper route, but this will obviously work out quite a bit more expensive (double VAT plus shipping fees etc.).

Maybe you could suggest an alternative shipping solution?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning to place an order from BikeYoke in Gemany soon, they ship for free globally using Deutshe Post (which I believe ends up being SA postal service once it lands in SA). Anyone ordered something from overseas recently using similar channels? I'm just wondering what the timing is looking like right now.

I could go the Aramex Global Shopper route, but this will obviously work out quite a bit more expensive (double VAT plus shipping fees etc.).

Ordered some stuff from ALIexpress on 20 May. Tracking on ALI says it landed in RSA on 13 June. I am still waiting..............

I have a been a long time user of Aramex Global Shopper, but they are up to their ears at the moment. Both myself and a buddy have been struggling to get stuff through their system, with 100 phone calls. Also got a DHL package that is slightly delayed due to less flights, but otherwise smooth. Another package through chronopost / dawnwing took 10 days from France. I would hate to drop something into the post office now!

Edited by jaxtersb6

I had a similar choice to make. Decided on Aramex Global Shopper this time around......  

Package was delivered to AGS via Deutch Poston on Saturday ... and on it's way now, currently at London sorting facility. 

I got something delivered from London with UPS, got to SA in 3 days, took another 7 to get to me.

Each day though it seemed to get stuck somewhere in SA and I would have to phone and ask them if I could make the tax payment, then ask them if I could make the duties payment, there was something else too but I forget.  

So it was pretty quick but involved a little too much admin.

I bought a power meter from a Chinese supplier a few weeks ago and paid $20 for DHL shipping. Got here 5 working days later.

I'd suggest paying a bit extra for DHL if that option is available - not sure what state SAPO is in currently.

Howsit, what power meter and store did you order from? I am in the market. 

I have a been a long time user of Aramex Global Shopper, but they are up to their ears at the moment. Both myself and a buddy have been struggling to get stuff through their system, with 100 phone calls. Also got a DHL package that is slightly delayed due to less flights, but otherwise smooth. Another package through chronopost / dawnwing took 10 days from France. I would hate to drop something into the post office now!

Stay away from Aramex - it took them 2 months to deliver a parcel of mine to London...

Still no reason, apology or how they will improve, despite several follow-up mails from my side. Also, their communication is horrendous, that is, if you can even get hold of them!

I got something delivered from London with UPS, got to SA in 3 days, took another 7 to get to me.

Each day though it seemed to get stuck somewhere in SA and I would have to phone and ask them if I could make the tax payment, then ask them if I could make the duties payment, there was something else too but I forget.  

Sad to say I had this kind of "service" from UPS twice last year, in October and again in November.  Not at all impressed.  The favorable interpretation of their responses to my queries is that their systems were stuffed. Tracking "information" was clearly  made up, subject to delays and also altered after the fact.  From here on I shall avoid them at all costs.

I got a package from Italy a few weeks ago via DHL.  Took less than 24hrs to go all over Europe and make its way to JHB, then another three days clearing customs and less than 18hrs later I had it in my paws.  All in, five days from when it was dropped off in Italy until I had it in my hands.  Fresh enough that the news in the newspaper the thing was wrapped in was still relevant.  If I could read Italian...   :ph34r:

That is a pretty good response time .... I usually struggle at least 2 or 3 weeks (or more) to get a package once it disappears from the overseas system ... can usually follow it up to Frankfurt ... and the silent ..... then it's using every single historic email addr I have to get someone to respond from SAPO  .. . :D  :D  :D 

Well, its good to hear that packages are still arriving here one way or the other. I'll ask BikeYoke if they could ship with DHL. Personally I've had good experience with them in the past too, although I usually ship from here to Canada.

Thanks for all the advice!

That is a pretty good response time .... I usually struggle at least 2 or 3 weeks (or more) to get a package once it disappears from the overseas system ... can usually follow it up to Frankfurt ... and the silent ..... then it's using every single historic email addr I have to get someone to respond from SAPO  .. . :D  :D  :D 

It is quick! I had another UPS delivery years and years ago that they eventually gave up with and discontinued the tracking number. Lost package never to be found from the bowels of ORTambo post office no matter how many times I went there

Well, its good to hear that packages are still arriving here one way or the other. I'll ask BikeYoke if they could ship with DHL. Personally I've had good experience with them in the past too, although I usually ship from here to Canada.

Thanks for all the advice!

Make sure it's DHL Express. DHL is the German post local contractor, and not the same as DHL Express. Deutch Post will end once it leaves Germany at which time it enters SAPO in SA.

Unless you want it to enter SAPO?

just got stuff in from CRC with Skynet.

Took 2 weeks in total for shipping, customs clearance and local delivery.