Order from overseas recently?

Rock Guy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered twice from same UK dealer...DHL Express

Ordered placed Friday, goods arrived Tuesday before midday and in time for a ride, both times.

Vat 15%

Duties 30% (clothing - shoes)

Hint: if you use DHL and I suspect any other courier, the faster you pay the customs and duties bill, the faster it clears. Tracking was spot on, notices timely and all billing clear. If you are prepared for the import bill before you make the purchase (because it WILL come), it hurts less.

I often use AGS, but having seen these alerts I'm staying away for now:

Important Update: COVID-19 Delays

Dear Customer,

Please note that we are still experiencing delays in response time from the customs officials in the South African Customs Facilities at the OR Tambo International Airport.

We apologize for the delay, however, we are still able to clear your shipments formally upon your request to the AGS Customer Service Team as stipulated in our update on the 8th July 2020.

Thank you for your support and understanding during these challenging times.

The AGS Team.

Ordered placed Friday, goods arrived Tuesday before midday and in time for a ride, both times.

Vat 15%

Hint: if you use DHL and I suspect any other courier, the faster you pay the customs and duties bill, the faster it clears. Tracking was spot on, notices timely and all billing clear. If you are prepared for the import bill before you make the purchase (because it WILL come), it hurts less.

I've wanted to buy clothes from the US or UK before, but that 30% is just too much! Must have been a pretty decent sale?

As others have mentioned the couriers are operating normally. Post office I wouldnt hold my breath for.

I ordered from Banggood using Buffalo courier and it took around a week to get to my door, so they are back to full speed.

Howsit, what power meter and store did you order from? I am in the market.

I bought a Sigeyi AXO spider-based power meter for my GG. Directly from the sigeyi shop. Hassle free.

Great power meter, similar output to my assioma pedals and consistent with my elite direto trainer.

Have ordered multiple items via ags, slower than normal but all arrived within a few weeks. Ordered item that was sent via sa post office, sent before lockdown still stuck somewhere at Jhb mail centre....

Totalcycling in the UK...avoid.

Ordered and paid....followed up with phone calls and emails

They still don't get back to you.

Tracking states, still in the UK,ordered 8 July.

As per Capediver... no import duties on cycle parts, but clothing 30 % and 15% VAT.

Vat 15%

which dealer from UK use DHL express?

Guys, to jump onto this thread. What import duties and taxes are you paying for imports. TIA

Work on roughly +25% and you’ll never be surprised.

There are no duties on bike parts. Clothing and shoes etc is a different story.

The actual calculation is a lot more long winded but usually ends up close to 25% for duty free items like parts for an accurate thumb suck.

That 25% includes 15% Local VAT and the courier clearance charges (what they usually call an admin fee. You basically pay the courier for the service to go stand in line at customs clearance with your paper and intercept your parcel. You could Technically do this yourself for any non Courier package if you wanted to go through the trouble...we used to do it that way a few years ago when we still lived in GP. Ship stuff via normal mail, phone EMS at the airport as soon as US postal service for instance tracked it as landed in SA, Get the incoming tracking number converted yo local one....and then drive there and fetch it before SAPO sends it to Witspos hub....because once it hits that place...you are screwed lol

The Vat calculation is Item Value *ROE +10% *15%.

The courier charges a small admin fee, between R150-350 to handle the customs clearance. Everything is done online now, quite easy for them to process as they have accounts with SARS so no need to wait for funds to clear.

I guess the delay comes in now as most are probably short staffed and handling similar volumes so the workload is much higher.

Clothing is Duties & VAT, so basically 46% of item value.

Fedex, UPS and DHL all ok

Stay away from Aramex, TNT (exhorbitant clearing fees) and obviously SAPO

Current delays at customs is about 4-6 days. 

which companies are the best to deal with? as in buying from and ease of process..?