Which routing software is best?

Frosty

A question posed to me on another thread, got me thinking of posting a review on the 4 apps I use to create routes, each with their own pros and cons. Below is a summarised look at these apps, including some screenshots and explanation of where to find relevant information about your ride.

There may be others, but these are my go to apps to get the information I need.

Mobile/Desktop
All 4 apps offer desktop and mobile apps, and allow planning of routes using the app.

• Garmin Connect
    • Syncs from both desktop and mobile - allowing on the go route planning. Assuming the head unit connects to the mobile app, eg. older units requiring a cable to sync, will only work on the desktop;
    • Two-step process for each waypoint placement. press the navigation icon, then move icon into position and press the point for waypoint to be placed;
    • Can reverse direction - I like this on a circular route, as it might be better to have climbing early on rather than in the second half. Once complete, it's easier to reverse the route than to try rebuild it;
    • Can search for existing routes in your area, based on distance and course type or elevation gain;
    • Allow placement of course markers, eg. summit, decent, food stop, water, danger, etc. It then displays these on your head unit just before you reach the waypoint;
    • Can add the route to a calendar event;
    • Allow users to enter a pace or ride/run time and will calculate the average speed or course time;
    • No subscription required.
  • Strava
    • Available to Subscribers only - currently R599.00 for a year subscription (when paid annually);
    • No syncing with devices, but exporting a GPX/TCX is possible on desktop version only;
    • Two-step process for each waypoint placement. Press over the pencil icon, then zoom to the next point and press the point to place the waypoint;
    • Unable to import an existing route - unless I don't know where to look.
    • Can link the route to a club event;
    • Course time is based on average ride speed, and not possible to change it;
    • Desktop version allows for Veloviewer Explorer (see my post for StatsHunters.com and RideEveryTile to understand this feature). This shows the tiles that you've been on and those that you haven't. Makes for easier route optimisation if this is something that interests you... riding in new areas you haven't been to before.
  • Komoot
    • Pairs with a Lezyne GPS using both desktop (GPSroot) or the mobile (Ally v2) app. Route;
    • Give the most comprehensive summary data after the route is created, and allowing selecting sections of the route to reveal the road surface, grade, start elevation, end elevation, weather forecast for the next three days, the route map, distance markers.
    • Can share the ride with others via email or social media, and they can accept - giving you an idea of who will be attending;
    • Can import from an existing GPX file (.gpx, .tcx, .fit);
    • Reverse route option available;
    • Course time is based on 5 settings, namely couch potato, average, in good shape, athletic and pro
    • Manual mode available - just click on the "turn off follow ways" button;
    • Offline maps available, for use on the mobile app, as well as on the Lezyne GPS units;
    • Option to report problems on the mapping, to help the developers improve it. I have never used it, so can't comment if it works.
  • RideWithGPS
    • Requires a subscription to use the advanced features, which includes sending to a device;
    • Exporting the route to TCX from desktop version;
    • Capable of showing multi-day rides on one route using different colours;
    • One-click route planning - just click on the selected road and it will auto-route to that point. Drag and drop to re-route on a preferred road if the auto-selection is not acceptable;
    • Reverse route option available;
    • Driving, Cycling or Walking options, with "avoid highway" option. However, the cycling route hardly works for me, so I use driving only;
    • Manual mode for when tracking off road, or through a boomed-off area;

​Screenshots - Desktop

Garmin Connect
716672d3ac44b56bbd96b7cefa5cf78e.jpg

Strava
6e222af5bc86f8bd2a75d443d5fc2c72.jpg
9b999a828cdcfc96dcb959958027bc60.jpg
9ce8794d8aa6f32ed2a509dd023bd1e3.jpg

Komoot
972feeea3b46084e1ca82b31387b54e4.jpg
f2b423128d3a7ca2062422a51b0824d1.jpg
ade2c057aa0f1562cef52cbf78bc2dc8.jpg

RideWithGPS
f13c7113bb86f505af0106c4892b4fbe.jpg
690c78d525d50584c1a202e764eefb0a.jpg

Note: Images to be uploaded from Tapatalk, to keep the file size as low as possible.

Edited by Frosty

And here are the mobile app images:

Strava
post-1372-0-05631500-1597173067_thumb.png

post-1372-0-97978500-1597173081_thumb.png

post-1372-0-40317000-1597173106_thumb.png

Garmin Connect
post-1372-0-91082900-1597173234_thumb.png
post-1372-0-71921200-1597173253_thumb.png
post-1372-0-75331400-1597173271_thumb.png

Komoot
post-1372-0-96610300-1597173298_thumb.png

post-1372-0-07658700-1597173334_thumb.png

post-1372-0-17785600-1597173343_thumb.png

post-1372-0-43344700-1597173351_thumb.png

Ride With GPS
8f0301207218cb04694a4936d545d1a5.jpg
16127f9d1762c8234b9372ad6a94a52f.jpg
e4a51dca4e11158b171f6c4c4f388102.jpg
5d5ccac64255e4b9539e72f9223c9aa2.jpg
b80f18eb159d3a7aeaee2abe064d9299.jpg

Edited by Frosty

Personally I think the combination of the heatmaps and 'view segments' on Strava Routes gives the best outcomes. I'd want to know how the other platforms are sourcing their preferred routes.

The new strava route planner also offers options to 'prefer climbs' or 'prefer flats' as well as 'prefer gravel' or prefer tar'.

Personally I think the combination of the heatmaps and 'view segments' on Strava Routes gives the best outcomes. I'd want to know how the other platforms are sourcing their preferred routes.

The new strava route planner also offers options to 'prefer climbs' or 'prefer flats' as well as 'prefer gravel' or prefer tar'.

Perhaps they source it from people that are using the app.

Thank you Frosty.

I have experimented a bit with GarminConnect, both on desktop and on the App. Surprisingly (for me) I found the app more user friendly.

Uploading to the Garmin 520, and using it was very easy.

The only issue I had was during an early morning ride in the dark ... I had set up the route to the left of a park, but chose to ride around the right .... I got a message for deviating from the route - should add I was using the speed and distance screen, so I only saw the prompts not the "map screen" .... once I got back on route I did NOT get any more route prompts.

Would like to know if it was a user error, or how to work around this.

SECOND QUESTION -

Plotting and using route on tar roads is easy.

How do we do this for routes on trails ? Typically this is not needed, as the trail is clear and easy to follow.

At Contermanskloof things are not that clear cut .... read - I am new to these trails and dont know the options (yet).

The climb to the mast is pretty easy to follow ... and then you can choose left or right .... we went right, a while later we could choose between two options .... by now I could see our starting point, but had absolutely no idea how to get there or how far we still had to go ...

Edited by ChrisF

Perhaps they source it from people that are using the app.

like they all did?

they were free in the beginning so they could steal your data and build the app into what it is now...and then kick you to the curb and put it behind a paywall. (looking at you strava) lol. 

PS. nice comparison though.

I dont use routing anymore obviously...just plan it out on openstreetmap/google maps and try to remember i guess haha. I use my heartrate monitor and supporting phone apps/gps for the rest. i can still look at my routes in detail afterwards though via cross syncing the apps with each other. the irony....

I created a Komoot profile last week and downloaded the App. I've been playing around with it and quite enjoy it. Have made a route i want to do. Gives you options of MTB, Road or Touring, based on what you choose as your profile it chooses the best route for you. Plus it links up with my Sigma ROX via Sigma Data Center which is convenient. So far it seems quite good, but ja, i don't have even a week's experience with it, think i started trying it out last week Thursday so will see how it goes.

post-93240-0-25711800-1597217057_thumb.jpg

I created a Komoot profile last week and downloaded the App. I've been playing around with it and quite enjoy it. Have made a route i want to do. Gives you options of MTB, Road or Touring, based on what you choose as your profile it chooses the best route for you. Plus it links up with my Sigma ROX via Sigma Data Center which is convenient. So far it seems quite good, but ja, i don't have even a week's experience with it, think i started trying it out last week Thursday so will see how it goes.

I've also started using komoot, for trail running and it works really well.

practically speaking, the company withnot just the most data but the best actual USE of that data should win this. Strava/garmin/google must be in a huge race to forge ahead here. 

Came in here expecting a discussion around Software Defined Networking and routing...

I will just see myself out.

Used the Strava mobile app routing functionality this past weekend as I was visiting an area I hadn't cycled around and was unaware of the popular routes.

It definitely did a good job of suggesting popular roads as there were many cyclists on the same route - only problem is that the tool's surface preference is a "use where possible" and there is no option to force it to use paved surfaces only.

Got found out a couple kms in when the tar turned to gravel and was on my roadie.... oops.

If I had actually opened up the route and scrolled down before importing it to my head unit I would have noticed the map said 10% dirt but I wish there was the option to lock it to use only paved surfaces.

Used the Strava mobile app routing functionality this past weekend as I was visiting an area I hadn't cycled around and was unaware of the popular routes.

It definitely did a good job of suggesting popular roads as there were many cyclists on the same route - only problem is that the tool's surface preference is a "use where possible" and there is no option to force it to use paved surfaces only.

Got found out a couple kms in when the tar turned to gravel and was on my roadie.... oops.

If I had actually opened up the route and scrolled down before importing it to my head unit I would have noticed the map said 10% dirt but I wish there was the option to lock it to use only paved surfaces.

Based on my playing around with Komoot, Komoot would have kept you on tarmac. Not sure how Komoot works but it looks like it can pick up foot trails.

I put a destination from my home in Midrand to Magalies. For ride type i selected "MTB"...it calculated a route i zoomed in on the map and i noticed it was routing through open areas (open veld) which look like foot paths. Looked up the area on google maps to confirm it.

So i'm sure if i had selected road it would have given me the tarmac only option. Don't know if Komoot uses satellite imagery to determine if a route is tar or gravel etc. I may be completely wrong here.

Thanks Frosty for a good thread.

Up to now I used GarminConnect the most to do route planning.  What I like most is the Popularity routing. Here it is very difficult if you are planning a route and you could get routed on a cyclepath which is not tarred.  It has happened a few times that I get routed on dirt road with the road bike.  I often use the sattelite view but even then it is difficult to see whats is tar and what is gravel.

So I was happy to see Frosty's comment on Komoot wrt to the analysis of road surface type.  Gave it a test this morning on a route that I am planning for tomorrow and it showed that I had roughly 600meters of gravel so I made some minor changes.  I just could not seem to export my changes.

Another tool that is in development is FatMap.  It is still a bit raw but what I like about this is you can do a flyover of your route with a 3D model to see what the route would be like.  Just upload your GPX file. Pretty cool.