New Bike Recommendations

Shaun23

Hi Guys, 

Looking for recommendations on a new bike. (Sold my hardtail and would love a dual suspension).

My budget is less than 25k.

Style:Cross Country and Trail Riding.

Size: Large

Possibilities i have come across

1) Scott Spark (Older models and Newer models are similar priced?)

2) Merida One Twenty or 96

3) Silverback Sido

4) Giant Anthem

5) Older Specialized models

I have been using a 2013 Scott Spark 900 SL, bike is also available to buy at Bike Market, price is 23k. It has really nice components and is full carbon so it weighs nothing, but the frame is quite scratched and bike is 7 years old.

Really appreciate the help.

Remember this is personal opinion.

1) I would not look at the older Spark like that 900 SL. If you can get a new shape 940/50 

2) The one twenty is a great option, I would not look at the 96

3) Silverback Sido not bad but the above 120 would be much better.

4) Giant Anthem always a good option if it's the newer frame with the improved toptube/seattube weld area. Normally plenty to chose from.

5) Spez Camber or Stumpy but depends on model year and components.

Try and get the newest year model with modern geometry. 

Your budget is enough to get a really nice bike. Be patient. 

My two cents would be to get the newest, best frame you can buy for the money. Components can be upgraded later.

Of your choices you have listed, i would look at the Giant (1st), Silverback (2nd) and Merida 120 (3rd).

Make sure you test ride all the bikes you interested in.

Edited by slickjay007

Would yo u Guys recommend a 2018 Scott Spark 950, its in great condition. It has 2x10 drivetrain which i guess i can upgrade. It has the Fox 32 Rhythm upfront which is the same as the 2021 Scott Sparks for nearly double the price?

I am just worried about weight as i have heard the only thing wrong with these bikes is they are heavy.

Id like to do XC/trails and some beginner races in the future.

Regards

post-165861-0-54057700-1597653806_thumb.jpg

If it fits your budget and body size, buy the bike and ride. Plenty peeps riding alu Sparks and loving them.

My two cents worth (having struggled with maintenance costs on older dual sussers bought from the Hub) is to buy a new bike if you can. Tough at the budget I know but your LBS will get you very close to your budget on this: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/stance-29-2

I think I was quoted around the R27k mark recently. 

It's a bit more trail oriented but we could all use more travel to be honest!

The bike's weight is not a measure of performance potential, only how much lighter it will make your pocket (the relationship is inverse btw). It's a good bike. But as I said in your previous thread, make sure the fit is correct or you'll be paying school fees again soon