Momsen steel

RDL101

Good afternoon hubbers. I have a question for all the Momsen stf/str owners- do any of you actually use the bike for offroad and trail use?

My first proper mountainbike was a Kona with a double butted chromoly frame and I fondly remember the lively feel of the steel frame. I have the 2nd generation stf frame and I must say it beats me up offroad- I don’t feel the forgiveness and suppleness that I was hoping for. I have 2.35 high volume maxxis tyres on, the maximum that will fit on the rear. Maybe I am just getting old and soft. Any comments?

not all steel frames (or alu and carbon for that fact) are created equal.

I think the STR may be a bit more stoutly built given that it is rated for a 120mm fork and trail orientated riding vs the older Kona you are thinking back to.

My first proper MTB was a Gary Fisher that had a nice tripple butted heat treated chromo frame. Recollection from this was that it was certainly more supple than the Scott steel frame I tried back then too.

I have also had 3 x On One Steel frames, and the 100mm travel Inbred frames (1x26'er & 1 x 29'er) was far more supple than their longer travel summer season frame.

I have the second Gen STR frame now built up as a fully rigid SS, and only taken her on roads or greenbelt / felt type riding so far, but she does feel supple enough.

She is running on a set of 2.4" tyres on a set of Carbon Roval wheels ... so not sure just how much of an impact this has made to the ride.

Yes. Did the MM 6h, 8h & 10h rides on my STF, no complaints.  (2.25 at the rear)

post-57330-0-15164700-1597754662_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pieter-za

I have had the STR frame for over a year now and ride a combination of tar , gravel and Mtb trails. I have 2.3 max is tyres and a 100mm fox fork

I have not done more than 4hour rides off-road but always with minimal padded Mtb baggies. I don’t notice that I am getting beaten up

The ride is not as nice as the Lynskey Pro 29 titanium frame that I broke last year

I had the first gen STR for A while and now on A cotic once again ( solaris ) 

STr had thin tubes with thick walls , Solaris has Thick tubes with thin walls ( most of it ios also reynolds AFAIK ) 

Cotic is much more comfortable , STR wasn't bad at all but the solaris is another level up 

Thank you for all the replies. I guess I just expected more coming from a super stiff aluminium hardtail. I will say one thing for the momsen, it is built like a tank and will surely last long. I am also glad to hear that they actually get used and not just n+1 showpieces

post-35732-0-72738900-1597254438_thumb.jpgThere are three STRs (John Deere green ones) single speeds in our riding group. Two running suspension and I am running carbon rigid with Maxxis 2.4 front and 2.35 rear. Regular 100km rides off road over the weekends on it. Doing the MM 10 hour this weekend. I had the First Gen STR in SS rigid as well and the Gen 2 frame is way more comfortable and super stable when it gets knarly. Pic attached is of two of us Lanseria way on a chilly JHB morning. Mine is the one on the left.  

Mine was meant to be a second bike to bugger aroid on but ended up being my go-to steed and getting used properly, most of my riding at Helderberg Farm which only has two types of trails .... steep up and fast down. The frame does not seem as compliant as the 853 Niner I had before but I spoilt myself with a 140mm Fox 34 and 2.35 tyres and it handles most things with aplomb .... but when I come down the same trails on the dually you just realize how much work that suspension really is doing behind the scenes. I find my times down the mountain isn’t a lot slower on the STR ... but I’m definitely more knackered at the end of it.

post-3611-0-10757200-1597258388_thumb.jpeg

Edited by TYGA