2020 360 one

Vetseun

So I have an entry for this ride.

Is anybody here going to attempt it?

Should be interesting in the heat of November, that is if it takes place, we might still be in level 3 lockdown then given the silence of our government.

I am keen on a few training tips etc...

I asked Fanievb here on the Hub, tells me it wasnt so hard. Ja well some of us are normal human beings Fanie.

So if anybody has inputs as what to expect, how much it will hurt etc I would welcome your contributions.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best event I've done in terms of awesome route, scenery and water points. Vibe is amazing!!

The climbing is relentless so I trained for that by doing quite a few rides of 2000m climbing and more. Worked for me....

Not necessary to spend too long at water points, i over did that based on advice I was given. Really wasn't needed.

Best event I've done in terms of awesome route, scenery and water points. Vibe is amazing!!

The climbing is relentless so I trained for that by doing quite a few rides of 2000m climbing and more. Worked for me....

Not necessary to spend too long at water points, i over did that based on advice I was given. Really wasn't needed.

Climbing ? Not my idea of fun. I am really looking forward to the ride. Also the summer heat.

the half versions of this was one of my goals this year. But the 'Rona lockdown and a little Coronial due beginning Oct....that idea got shelved very quickly lol. maybe next year.

Don't let Vettes fool you, he is using 36One as a recovery ride before Munga...

Like anything I guess it is as hard as you make it. I am slow(my previous 2 took 28 and 26 hours respectively) and I like getting my monies worth and for me it is a hard ride. For us Free Staters a battle with all the climbing but then again I know I don't train enough for that. But hopefully I will crack the 24 hour mark this year.

The heat will be a challenge if it happens...had a cold and rainy Hell&Back a couple of years back in the same region during November so it might not be too bad. Or it will be VERY hot.

Strategies regarding lights etc will be interesting with the new 15.00 start time.

Climbing ? Not my idea of fun. I am really looking forward to the ride. Also the summer heat.

You'll love it...the views at night are spectacular if you lucky with clear weather.

30% of the Munga....Nice quick one!

So I have an entry for this ride.

Is anybody here going to attempt it?

Should be interesting in the heat of November, that is if it takes place, we might still be in level 3 lockdown then given the silence of our government.

I am keen on a few training tips etc...

I asked Fanievb here on the Hub, tells me it wasnt so hard. Ja well some of us are normal human beings Fanie.

So if anybody has inputs as what to expect, how much it will hurt etc I would welcome your contributions.

only the last 80km is tough.... 

but Nov will be a different story, that valley gets *** hot.

nutrition shouldn't be a problem as the Dryland Crew can host an event with waterpoints every 50km

Dust & sinkplate will also be an issue if it doesn't rain.

trainingwise, like my friend Deon said find a long hill, ride it until you kots. get on your bike and do it again.

chamois cream is your friend

extra kit in your boxes incase it gets cold

you will need a new tire if you want to survive rooiberg

I have an entry - we are doing a four man 36One 'No Drop' ride. November will be my first one - had a month off training as didn't have a IDT over Level 5 but otherwise been trying to follow a program closely in hope this will still go ahead in November  :thumbup:

I am entered, but after much consideration I have decided to not partake.

Would be my first, I trained hard for the April event, 3 months of a lot of compromises regarding family time. I have decided that with the November version being very much up in the air, I am not going to commit. I will do it next year.

Don’t see myself making the necessary compromises without the certainty of it happening.

With the move to level 2 and rumours of races starting again I'm very tempted to enter this one (or at least the half - not kidding myself that I will find the full 361 sufferfest appealing given my current fitness levels)

Yes, definitely

You might want to clarify this with the organizers.  To me it looks like the gravel bike option is only available for the half, not the full.  

“We are very excited about the increased focus on the gravel bike category. This market is growing at an astonishing rate and The Half offers some of the best roads and scenery for this,” said Rademeyer.

Entry categories also only offer Gravel Entry as an option for the Half.

Edited by Spurs

I see they are still punting entries so planning on going ahead...

Guess we will have to wait and see...They will hopefully defer entries to next year if it doesn't go ahead.

At least riders are spread out over the 361km's but the CP's might be a bit crowded with the support, especially CP2 where the half starts.

the half versions of this was one of my goals this year. But the 'Rona lockdown and a little Coronial due beginning Oct....that idea got shelved very quickly lol. maybe next year.

Congrats. So if my maths is correct you had a good start to the year, then a few months later it just went downhill. Can't have been easy dealing with a pregnant partner during all this.