Tiny dog run over by cyclists in Delta Park

DR ◣◢

Much as I think people should self police and rules are never black/white enough to cover loopholes here is one rule I think should be universal:

Most vulnerable has right of way.

In the same way that we don't want cars and trucks to run us over we should be the responsible party when it comes to dogs and children.

If you want a hard core training session stick to areas that are quiet and open or smash the indoor trainer. Trying to use public access paths to ride hard is just irresponsible.

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

I have seen some aggressive encounters with strava warriors and equestrian folk in my area, I guess I would also be upset sitting on top of a skittish horse after someone has blasted past them trying to hit a PB.

I stop and dismount until they have passed, their scowl after seeing my metal steed turns into the biggest smile.

Edited by SRBVI

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got bit by an unleashed dog while cycling. I ended up with a long, deep gash in my leg as reward. I had to go get treated in the ER and spent 6 weeks recovering.

Now, if an unleashed dog ever attempts to come for me while riding, or my family while we are out, I will end (yes, kill - and yes, that is what I meant) that dog, without a glimmer of remorse or shame. I was out walking with my daughter and wife a couple weeks back, and a lady who was walking her dog unleashed. My daughter had a chest strap which I was holding to keep her from running off (she's 2). The dog decided to stalk her in a crouched and aggressive manner. I had to pick my daughter up while the bitch did nothing to control her dog.

I love(d) dogs, but I have no more sympathy for an unleashed mutt. Come close to me or my family, and watch the last moments of the dog's existence flash by.

Much as I think people should self police and rules are never black/white enough to cover loopholes here is one rule I think should be universal:

Most vulnerable has right of way.

In the same way that we don't want cars and trucks to run us over we should be the responsible party when it comes to dogs and children.

If you want a hard core training session stick to areas that are quiet and open or smash the indoor trainer. Trying to use public access paths to ride hard is just irresponsible.

A position I strongly advocate for continuously. But we normally get distracted by side issues like;

• cyclists are their own worst enemy by not obeying the rules
  • we must not expect respect when we run red lights (ignoring the fact that pedestrians, motorists and dogs ignore these too)
  • insert any other anti-cyclist cyclist commentary that we use to raise our own behaviour above that of the rest of the cycling community.

I ride Delta park very regularly as well as other park like Alberts and emmarentia...we try our best to avoid dogs. Im an animal lover and have dogs of my own. I was bitten by a staffie off leash in Alberts and after a verbal confrontation with the owner he admitted that his dog is supposed to be on a leash and paid my doctors bills...city bylaws require dogs to be leashed permanently unless in a dog park...bottom line is they are on the wrong side of the law...plain and simple as that...an animal thats running around freely cannot be controlled and becomes a hazard to other park users..whether cyclists or people just walking....

City by-laws also state that only permitted vehicle in parks are bicycles and that the speed limit is 5km/h. 

How many cyclists in parks do you think are on the right side of the law when it comes to this one?

Summary of this thread and life in general:

People are d!cks and are best avoided at all costs.

I thought the trick was to avoid tiny dogs. 

When does a dog move from being a small one to a tiny one by the way?

Designer dog breeds.. it is disgusting the harm they are doing to breeds.

Any case in case I missed it is the pup okay?

Edited by Gen

when its smaller than a rat and the rat isn't interested in being friends

Seriously, they're termed toy dogs and they're bred to be cuddly living playthings. Not my type of dog. Living creatures are not toys

if you can't bunny hop a chihuahua (yes I had to google that spelling), you shouldn't be on a mountain bike.

If you take your dog for a walk, use a leash. If you absolutely have to let them run free, go to a dog park. That way everyone will be okay.

The question i have is who is liable if the cyclist had fallen and seriously injured themselves??? 

Likewise why don't you go to a bike park?

If you get seriously injured falling off your bike dodging a dog or child then you are going too fast!

Dogs are taken to these parks to run free, play ball and have fun. If you want to curtail freedoms for your own convenience then cyclist should also have some rules to obey like riding on a single designated path at a safe speed of no more than 15 kph and with a mandatory bell. In this way everyone's freedom can be infringed upon by the actions of a few selfish twats!

On the other hand its not acceptable for dogs to bite/attack cyclist or anyone else, and the owners should take responsibility for the safety of others by muzzling these dogs or keeping them on a leash, lest they too spoil the fun for everyone else. 

Dogs are taken to these parks to run free, play ball and have fun. If you want to curtail freedoms for your own convenience then cyclist should also have some rules to obey like riding on a single designated path at a safe speed of no more than 15 kph and with a mandatory bell. In this way everyone's freedom can be infringed upon by the actions of a few selfish twats!

On the other hand its not acceptable for dogs to bite/attack cyclist or anyone else, and the owners should take responsibility for the safety of others by muzzling these dogs or keeping them on a leash, lest they too spoil the fun for everyone else. 

So, which one is it? 

Back to the microscopic dog quick. 

It made a full recovery which leads me to believe that it wasn't run over but rather just hit. 

If you ran over a 10 week old puppy like that it would be crushed by about 80kg of bike and average racing snake. 

Again I would like to see both sides of the story.  

City by-laws also state that only permitted vehicle in parks are bicycles and that the speed limit is 5km/h. 

How many cyclists in parks do you think are on the right side of the law when it comes to this one?

Also:

You must be seated in your saddle.
You must ride in single file.
You may not deliberately swerve your bicycle from side to side.

Everyone is breaking the law when you ride a mountain bike.