A wine thread: What's in your glass?

Delarey

Good idea for a thread.

Ooh Springfield - need to get them to put a sign on the vineyards that i have personally paid for. 

What specials are out there?

Hartenberg had a 15% off. Constantia Glen as well had some good offers.

Thing is when the last lockdown was in place i ordered a lot of wine from some sites and estates. Some ran out - Highlands Road had a 2 for 1 special which they couldn't fulfill so they shipped Pino Noir instead. Now its not a bad Pinot Noir but i have a lot of it. Cybercellar - i am still awaiting delivery of some of the stuff i ordered wich disappeared in to Aramex. Eventually cancelled and to their credit they refunded the money but i am now gun shy of specials as the delivery seems to be a nightmare.

TBH - will wait until the furore has died down a little and go down the road to Liquor City in Broadacres where they have a good selection. That way i dont wait 3 weeks for it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alvi's Drift - Merlot or Pinotage, or Douglas Green - Merlot or Pinotage, or Porcupine Ridge Merlot. A bottle of Kanonkop Kadette on occasion. Will probably be on the look out for a bottle of Douglas Green Pinotage or a bottle of Kanonkop Kadette after work tomorrow.

Ooh Springfield - need to get them to put a sign on the vineyards that i have personally paid for. 

Oh. Thought we had paid for it.

Looks like Breede River Valley is a firm favourite here (Robertson, Springfield, Nuy, Alvi's Drift). I've been to most wine festivals in the Western Cape and Wine-on-the-River in Robertson is my absolute favourite. We've been going every year for the last 10 years and it has become one of our "must do" activities every year.

Edited by Delarey

think this is as good a place to ask this.

would you be interested in a curated wine of the month type arrangement.

probably R3/4k per month for 6 months.

average bottle cost R80-R180

thinking is that a lot of people have flattened their wine collection and there is a prime opportunity to get a decent selection back.

I looked around on the threads, but could not find one dedicated to interesting wines. I'll kick things off then. So much interesting wine out there, and I am always looking for undiscovered gems. Not meant to be a wine snob thread this, but rather one to discuss interesting/tasty/valueformoney/unique wines at any price point.

Here is my Sunday drink which I got from Longridge in between the two lockdown stretches. They had a special of a free case of their Chardonnay when you buy two cases of this one. A wooded Sauv Blanc is not that common in SA, but this one is really amazing.

great idea. i'd like to see a list of winefarms that support mtbing too.

imagine if we could pay them back for hosting trails/races/teams and acknowledge it

great idea. i'd like to see a list of winefarms that support mtbing too.

imagine if we could pay them back for hosting trails/races/teams and acknowledge it

Cool idea.

And also maybe to create a reciprocal arrangement - in that if they know MTBers are supporting them they will be willing to open vintages etc to us and the like. There are a lot of wine farms that have trailes and have been very open to us. I am in Jhb so i dont really know them like the Kaapenaars do but its synonymous with Cape Town - the MTB trails on the wine farms.

think this is as good a place to ask this.

would you be interested in a curated wine of the month type arrangement.

probably R3/4k per month for 6 months.

average bottle cost R80-R180

thinking is that a lot of people have flattened their wine collection and there is a prime opportunity to get a decent selection back.

How are you going to differentiate yourself. Most wine of the month strats of good value but ends up mixing in rubbish to start making margins. The other issue i see is hte transport - the couriers aren't coping. Have you got a plan to get deliveries through?

We had timed the latest lockdown quite well. Last of the wine stash went down last night. Babylonstoren Babel. One of my favourites.

We had timed the latest lockdown quite well. Last of the wine stash went down last night. Babylonstoren Babel. One of my favourites.

and tonight?

How are you going to differentiate yourself. Most wine of the month strats of good value but ends up mixing in rubbish to start making margins. The other issue i see is hte transport - the couriers aren't coping. Have you got a plan to get deliveries through?

would be a once off. I have contacts (apparently) who normally deal in much higher value stuff

and tonight?

would be a once off. I have contacts (apparently) who normally deal in much higher value stuff

I would be keen if you have access to some good stuff. I spend and inordinate amount of money on wine so always keen on some good options.

I would be keen if you have access to some good stuff. I spend and inordinate amount of money on wine so always keen on some good options.

I'm pitching it. if it gets traction i'll need some "investors".