A wine thread: What's in your glass?

Delarey

Most people don't understand how much difference temperature makes and that room temp is 16 degrees, even cooler for Pinot.

As I stated above.. I found that part of the tasting very interesting..

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What stemware are you using. I wasn't a believer until i did the Riedel vertical tastings and was dumbfounded.

Good glasses make all the difference...

I am totally sold on the benefits of Riedel. A friend of mine have a set of two of almost every possible cultivar Riedel glass you can think of. Makes a HUGE difference. I have however realised that the zoo I live in would not gel well with the price of Riedel glasses. It will just lead to tension.

My solution was to buy decent quality cristal glasses from Crystal Direct. I go for a long stem glasses that can be used for both white and red and then I buy bulk. Last time I bought 48, which then gets me wholesale prices and lower stress levels when someone breaks a glass.

I have a friend with about a thousand bottles. I have about 200 when all the racks are full. The thing is at 1000 bottles your wine goes off faster than what you can drink it at. Seriously. 

Our SA wines are not that good at being kept any more.

Have a HPF Kleinboet 2016 in The glass now as this conversation inspired me.

What stemware are you using. I wasn't a believer until i did the Riedel vertical tastings and was dumbfounded.

Good glasses make all the difference...

My dad had well over a 1000 bottles at one stage. Eventually he sold off a bunch as they were ageing faster than he could drink and storage conditions weren't exactly optimal - he had to store it in their on-suite bathroom as that was the coolest room on the place we were staying at that time. Kanonkop Paul Sauers/Cabs, Rubicons from 80s and 90s and even a few 70s vintages made up a good portion.

On the topic of glass, I flat out refuse to drink out of a thick Spur type glass. If I know we're visiting someone with common glasses I drink beer, and I'll insist on better glasses at a restaurant. Nee sies man, we're not drinking Four cousins.

Edited by stefmeister

My dad had well over a 1000 bottles at one stage. Eventually he sold off a bunch as they were ageing faster than he could drink and storage conditions weren't exactly optimal - he had to store it in their on-suit bathroom as that was the coolest room on the place we were staying at that time. Kanonkop Paul Sauers/Cabs, Rubicons from 80s and 90s and even a few 70s vintages made up a good portion.

On the topic of glass, I flat out refuse to drink out of a thick Spur type glass. If I know we're visiting someone with common glasses I drink beer, and I'll insist on better glasses at a restaurant. Nee sies man, we're not drinking Four cousins.

You sir are a glass snob.

I love my Riedel's but cry when they get broken. Have the reds and whites and then i have even got some travel glasses. I have slowly come around to the glass thing but the thing is about 80% of the restaurants are clueless.

I love my Riedel's but cry when they get broken. Have the reds and whites and then i have even got some travel glasses. I have slowly come around to the glass thing but the thing is about 80% of the restaurants are clueless.

You live in the wrong part of the country. Here in the Boland they typically have decent glassware and more importantly, it is not frowned upon to bring your own wine. Even Top 10 restaurants like Terroir just add corkage when you bring your own wine.  I have seen several of the Stellenbosch upper class rock up with something special from their home cellar. Just be sure to bring decent wine otherwise you look like a bit of a d!@k.

Edited by Delarey

I won’t deny that, but as long as it’s decent thin rimless glasses I’m happy, it doesn’t have to be expensive crystal.

Just no thick glasses that’ll leave a dent in your tile floor if you happen to drop it. Oh, and no coloured glasses either.

Those Crystal direct glasses Del refers to is pretty much what I use.

I won’t deny that, but as long as it’s decent thin rimless glasses I’m happy, it doesn’t have to be expensive crystal.

Just no thick glasses that’ll leave a dent in your tile floor if you happen to drop it. Oh, and no coloured glasses either.

Those Crystal direct glasses Del refers to is pretty much what I use.

*Checks wine glasses*.. I'm good you can bring your wine I have good glasses.

@Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Went to Tops and couldn't find the wine I was looking for, so I opted for this. Will have a glass or 2 with the Mrs a bit later.d7782fc890ff54a410ffa1de62bb06c3.jpg

@Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Went to Tops and couldn't find the wine I was looking for, so I opted for this. Will have a glass or 2 with the Mrs a bit later.d7782fc890ff54a410ffa1de62bb06c3.jpg

I used to be able to drink loads of red.. unfortunately I seem to not have a tolerance anymore.. it's weird.. I can't even drink a quarter of a glass and my head spins..doesn’t matter how slowly I drink it or what the quality is..I have even tested that ...it is very disappointing.. [emoji53]

I used to be able to drink loads of red.. unfortunately I seem to not have a tolerance anymore.. it's weird.. I can't even drink a quarter of a glass and my head spins..doesn’t matter how slowly I drink it or what the quality is..I have even tested that ...it is very disappointing.. [emoji53]

I can relate, but I don’t see it as disappointing. Rather, I am able to "savor the moment" and enjoy what I’m drinking. While I can spend less, I try buy something I enjoy (even if it costs more). If that makes sense.

I was never much of a wine drinker before I met my wife, was mainly into beer over weekends and on the odd week night. I've tried a few white wines but red seems to be my favourite, especially a Merlot or Pinotage. However, 2 or 3 glasses of red every few evenings is enough for me, I'm more of a coffee person. Edited by WeekendWarrior80

I was never much of a wine drinker before I met my wife, was mainly into beer over weekends and on the odd week night. I've tried a few white wines but red seems to be my favourite, especially a Merlot or Pinotage. However, 2 or 3 glasses of red every few evenings is enough for me, I'm more of a coffee person.

Never touched a drop until I got married. Next day I was legless (it took only half a glass)