Delarey

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that Pinotage isd0f941e5ba18cd2de21f0007f30bf71a.jpg

not receiving any love on this thread, so let me do my part.

There’s only a handful of exceptional ones. It’s a rather average variety in general, but probably deserves more focus, planting in cooler climate regions that yields more complexity in the wines. Inherently it has some flaws, where bitterness can be an issue that pops up and warmer fermentations that result in more esters being produced that gives banana flavours that the old pinotages were typically known for.

It makes nice Rosé and mcc base wines though.

There’s only a handful of exceptional ones. It’s a rather average variety in general, but probably deserves more focus, planting in cooler climate regions that yields more complexity in the wines. Inherently it has some flaws, where bitterness can be an issue that pops up and warmer fermentations that result in more esters being produced that gives banana flavours that the old pinotages were typically known for.

It makes nice Rosé and mcc base wines though.

I think its a very misunderstood cultivar. In my opinion there are three different styles: plummy cheap Pinotage, Coffee Pinotage, and then the more expensive Pinotage (Pinot Noir style). I am not a fan of coffee Pinotage (although it is quite popular) and the cheap Pinotage is like any other cheap red wine. There only a few estates that make the nicer one and they definitely don’t come in under R100/bottle. When done well though, its one of my favorite cultivars.

I do think it blends well though. There are a number of Cape Blends that punches way above their weight.

I think its a very misunderstood cultivar. In my opinion there are three different styles: plummy cheap Pinotage, Coffee Pinotage, and then the more expensive Pinotage (Pinot Noir style). I am not a fan of coffee Pinotage (although it is quite popular) and the cheap Pinotage is like any other cheap red wine. There only a few estates that make the nicer one and they definitely don’t come in under R100/bottle. When done well though, its one of my favorite cultivars.

I do think it blends well though. There are a number of Cape Blends that punches way above their weight.

The coffee experiment was/is a truly awful endevour

The coffee experiment was/is a truly awful endevour

Ironically the Cape Town Good Food and Wine Expo at the CTCC used to have a public voting system where attendees voted for their favorite wine at the expo. Almost every year a Coffee Pinotage won....

Pleasantly surprised by this one. Received it as a present and did not have high hopes based on the label. I have no idea about the price, but I suspect it is punching way above its weight. Will have to try and source some more.

b9fd78342ee22ac79c05b08726618497.jpg

Cheap and cheerful Reyneke last night. Luckily for the wallet, we actually prefer this one over the Cornerstone red.

Another vineyard I'd like to visit. The biodynamic farming story is very interesting.

post-90313-0-17598400-1602327965_thumb.jpg

I have not tried either, but also saw the article. I found it fascinating that the Chenin is from the Olifants River area. On their website I see it's from a vineyard in Clainwilliam. I love the old vine Chenins from Swarland. Apart from the big names like Eben Sadie and Adi Badenhorst there are a number of smaller producers with brilliant Swartland Chenins (Albert Ahrens, Jacques de Klerk, Jocelyne Hogan Wilson).

Albert Ahrens - he makes excellent MCC also