A wine thread: What's in your glass?

Delarey

Albert Ahrens - he makes excellent MCC also

He sure does. Not exactly cheap but damn good. He is a passionate wine maker and a very interesting guy. Listening to him passionately taking about the artist he got to “paint” his wine labels or going on about the difference between Swartland Chenin and Paarl Chenin is really something. I have many irrational passions but he takes it to the next level. We need more of his caliber.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stumbled a bit late onto this rather interesting thread. We are really spoilt for choice in the Cape, but unfortunately the shops don't stock a great variety. 

Pinotage can be beautiful, but it is a difficult grape to work with, and to get right. But once they master it, it has a lot of body and flavour. Cab savs are a safe bet, but a silky shiraz melts like fudge in the mouth. Try Rhebokskloof's shiraz for a special treat, winemaker Rolanie has won huge prizes for her shiraz consistently over the years. 

But, with warmer days and long, sunny evenings coming up after this long and wet winter, I'm all ready for icy cold, crisp chardonnays to sip.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So having visited Swellendam again for the awesome but windy PPA Double Century, a few of our team decided to support and sample some of the wines in the region. By far the best we tasted was the Bonnievale River Merlot 2017.

I think we paid R76 a bottle in the local Tops. Great red for the price, so much so that we have returned to JHB and placed an order for a few boxes via Cellars Direct. Having joined the Bonnievale wine club I pay R63 a bottle. Can't wait to receive my order for my Christmas stash!

post-10604-0-77248200-1606838925_thumb.jpg

Wine critic Tim Atkins (from the article sounds highly regarded) gave 2 South African wines perfect 100 scores the other day.

2018 Porseleinberg syrah from the Swartland, and the 2019 Sadie Family Skurfberg chenin blanc from Olifants River.

Anyone heard or tried them? I only know of Sadie Family wines, tried one or two reds, very good, but prohibitly expensive.

I have 2 bottles of the Porseleinberg. Too young to drink now. In the wine fridge for a few years........if I can hold out.

I received my last Springfield Wine Club box(es) for the year yesterday. What a selection and variety! Selected with the festive season in mind and true to form a special surprise wine.

2020 Life from Stone Sauvignon Blanc

2020 Miss Lucy(White Blend)

2018 Pinot Noir

2017 Wild Yeast Chardonnay

2014 Work of Time (Bordeaux Blend)

2004 Work of Time !!!!! No that is not a typo.

post-11333-0-02826900-1606900062_thumb.jpg

49b562096688d436778a930c8ece350c.jpg
Stocking up on one of the newly announced Platter 5* wines. If Bellevue Reserve Pinotage does not float your boat, then you can rightfully say that you don’t like Pinotage!

Edited by Delarey

• 3 weeks later...

Found 3 of these hiding in the back of the cupboard when we were searching for wrapping paper the other day. I reckon they've been there for maybe 3 years. Christmas indeed!

Very nice red blend from De Toren.

(Silly font though)

post-90313-0-59875900-1608984981_thumb.jpg

I was initially going to post this in Song of the Day, but felt that this was was the more appropriate thread for Koos Kombuis's ode to Pinotage.

Also, Delarey is referenced in the lyrics.