A wine thread: What's in your glass?

Delarey

https://youtu.be/wn49Hh3DLOw

I was initially going to post this in Song of the Day, but felt that this was was the more appropriate thread for Koos Kombuis's ode to Pinotage.

Also, Delarey is referenced in the lyrics.

I really wanted to like this song, but can’t help but think that Koos did not intend it to be anything other than a lighthearted shout out to his mate Beyers Truter (or paid marketing). It has a familiar “Lisa se klavier” vibe, but as written by a 7 year old. I enjoy the song as a lighthearted ode to Pinotage, but its definitely more suited to the wine thread than the song of the day thread.

Lisa se klavier is one of my all time favourite Afrikaans songs. Few songs have stirred my proudly Afrikaans heart as much as that one. That resemblance is probably what irks me most about this song.

Edited by Delarey

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to like this song, but can’t help but think that Koos did not intend it to be anything other than a lighthearted shout out to his mate Beyers Truter (or paid marketing). It has a familiar “Lisa se klavier” vibe, but as written by a 7 year old. I enjoy the song as a lighthearted ode to Pinotage, but its definitely more suited to the wine thread than the song of the day thread.

Lisa se klavier is one of my all time favourite Afrikaans songs. Few songs have stirred my proudly Afrikaans heart as much as that one.

For many years, Koos was sponsored by Tassies, and always appeared on stage with a bottle next to him. At one stage, he contacted the bottlers to renew the sponsorship. However, the staff had changed and no-one knew who he was.

He subsequently obtained sponsorship from Beyerskloof, and now always appears with a bottle of this next to him. I'm sure the writing of the song is linked to this. However, the thought of having a bottle of Beyerskloof Pinotage instead of Tassies to drink every time you perform is enough to make anyone break into song.

However the song originated, I still like it, but I agree that it is not in the same league as Lisa se Klavier.

For many years, Koos was sponsored by Tassies, and always appeared on stage with a bottle next to him. At one stage, he contacted the bottlers to renew the sponsorship. However, the staff had changed and no-one knew who he was.

He subsequently obtained sponsorship from Beyerskloof, and now always appears with a bottle of this next to him. I'm sure the writing of the song is linked to this. However, the thought of having a bottle of Beyerskloof Pinotage instead of Tassies to drink every time you perform is enough to make anyone break into song.

However the song originated, I still like it, but I agree that it is not in the same league as Lisa se Klavier.

Not sure if you read Koos’ autobiography “Sex, drugs and boeremusiek”. If not, I can highly recommend it. He lived a very interesting life and is truly a legend. I also used to enjoy his column in Rapport. His free thinking approach to life with a strong proudly Afrikaans twist is something that always appealed to me.

Not sure if you read Koos’ autobiography “Sex, drugs and boeremusiek”. If not, I can highly recommend it. He lived a very interesting life and is truly a legend. I also used to enjoy his column in Rapport. His free thinking approach to life with a strong proudly Afrikaans twist is something that always appealed to me.

Yes, I have read that, as well as Die tyd van die Kombis.

I am a bit of a fan, and go and see him live every time he comes to P.E., so must have seen him about 7 times. 

• 2 months later...

Wine testing at Delaire Graff. Apart from the amaizing view, it’s not often that you get to do a wine tasting with cultivar specific Riedel glassware. Highly recommended!

bcb9c92ea085e003462d96e9da437c1e.jpg

Edited by Delarey

20b5474349d6795940d307c97b6edb50.jpg

Opted for something different this evening.

Its weird how timing works sometimes.

I'd never heard of Crystallum before a couple days ago.

Then... a mixed online order I collected last week was boxed in a Crystallum box.

Then I saw this post.

Then I actually saw a bottle in a shop on the weekend.

• 1 month later...

I'm more excited for the meteorite corkscrew

Edit: I should add this is most certainly not in my glass tonight... ????????‍♂️

Edited by Chris_

Found 3 of these hiding in the back of the cupboard when we were searching for wrapping paper the other day. I reckon they've been there for maybe 3 years. Christmas indeed!

Very nice red blend from De Toren.

(Silly font though)

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20201226_141506.jpg

I think I rather like the font:

The mixing of black and red - that’s diverse...

The 3 letters ‘facing’ left, whilst other six face right - that’s ‘diverse’....

They appear to have mixed a raised-font with middle 3 letters, contrasting a flat font with other 6 letters, again, for me,diverse, too!

I would have also dotted the SECOND ‘I’ underneath, rather than on top... :)

I like!

Chris

Edited by Zebra

• 5 months later...

Hey Everyone

Was hoping to get some advice for choosing a wine to age

I want to buy at least 24 wines now which I can lay down for the next 15-20 years and enjoy these at specific milestones in the future (e.g. birthdays, graduations) Previously, I've kept some wines for around 12 years (in generally okay conditions - not even a cellar or anything) and these aged amazingly well. The best wines I've had bar none. 

Anyway, I wanted to get something that is reasonably priced seeing that I want to buy at least 24 of these. Trying to get below 150 per bottle. Are there any suggested wines (especially since a lot are on special now) that I can consider? If there are any wine farms that even offer to keep these in their cellar, I will happily consider these.

On 1/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, Walt Jabsco said:

Yes, I have read that, as well as Die tyd van die Kombis.

I am a bit of a fan, and go and see him live every time he comes to P.E., so must have seen him about 7 times. 

How surprised was I to have him turn up with a mutual mate at one of my all-night house parties in Walmer.  Chilling in my kitchen with Kombuis.

PS.  Just remembered, the late Syd Kitchen arrived for another of those parties.