Help a girl out: 1st dual suspension purchase

Rouxle

Definitely the Trek carbon frame, carbon wheels, carbon crank, GX EAGLE works great and Trek has lifetime warranty! Have 2 friends on Trek 9.8 top fuel and 9.8 fuel ex and to be honest its what I should have bought instead of the Scott Spark. Trek has a great pedal platform very little pedal bob and at the same time great on small bumps and can take the big hits.

It must be witchcraft????????

Does the Trek warranty transfer upon sale? I doubt it. So warranty irrelevant. But I stand corrected.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the Trek warranty transfer upon sale? I doubt it. So warranty irrelevant. But I stand corrected.

Bontrager wheel warranty

Plus, they're backed by the Carbon Care Wheel Loyalty Programme, which offers free replacement or repair to the original owner for wheels

Trek Bicycle warranty

Trek Bicycle Corporation provides each original retail purchaser of a Trek bicycle an amazing warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

So no, only original owner enjoy the warranty. Most bikes are like that (I think Titan is different). Think about it, a lifetime warranty. Who can ever do that. But in the high value bicycle market, you are very likely to sell you bike after 3-5 years. So with that little T&C, it’s for all practicle reasons a 3-5 year warrant

Correct, TREK warantee does not transfer to the 2nd owner ....

Titan actually has a multi user warantee on the frame. BUT .... read the fine print !!! Original purchaser must register the bike on the Titan site in 30 days of purchase .... then some more fine print for the transfer. Actually easy to do, just as easy to miss out if you dont pay attention ....

Having owned a Trek .... never again. Just too many propriatary components .... useless dealers in our area soured my experience.

Edited by ChrisF

the Trek is a new bike so yes warranty is in place. So many people going on about Titan's warranty transfer. The reason they did that is because nobody keeps a Titan long enough for something to go wrong and I am pretty sure there will definitely be some t's and c's with that.

Slightly off topic ....

Warranty ....

Titan is one of the few to offer a 5 year multi user warranty.

Scott also has a 5 year warranty ... single user.

Trek has a lofty claim of a lifetime warranty.... digging deep into their fine print you find it can be transferred to the second owner, but limited to three years from original date of purchase.

ALL of these have various stipulations, whith lots of similarities ....

1. bike must be registered within 30 days of original purchase

2. original purchase documents must be handed over to next owner

3. consumables are just that .... consumables, understandably. So only the frame that is actually warranteed .... very limited cover on other components ...

4. bike to be serviced by an authorized dealer .... THIS is probably thee biggest challenge .... some people simply live too far from a brand retailer. And sadly, all too often, the retail outlet has a very poor workshop ... my local Scott dealer could not even properly prep a 24" bike for delivery ... this does not bolster confidence for their ability to properly maintain a high spec bike. So I took my bike to my local dedicated cycle workshop. Mark checked with the distributors, they would not honour this service for warranty purposes .... I opted for a quality service, knowing I lost the warranty.

Given all this fine print, the real peace of mind comes from the perceived quality.

Our experiences can be summarized as follows:

- Scott ... would gladly buy again

- Giant .... after only 6 months. Good sales experience, decent workshop. Very happy.

- Titan .... seriously impressed !! Thanks to the wider distribution chain you also have more workshop options.

- Trek .... never again. Nice ride .... maintenance nightmare !! Crap quality proprietory parts resulted in very costly upgrades .... JIP, mine was a very bad experience !!

- Merida .... Almost forgot about my Meridas ... they just keep going and going .... brilliant bikes

Edited by ChrisF

Have to agree. 27.5 is no reason to overlook the Trek if it is the correct size, matches your requirements and is within budget

Especially in a small frame size. Small's tend to look a bit ridiculous with 29" wheels.

When fiancé bought a new bike we considered a 27.5. The lack of variety when it comes to tyres really put us off.

She settled on a carbon 29er Stumpjumper. It completely unlocked her potential. Doesn’t look funny at all in a small frame.

Slightly off topic ....

Warranty ....

Titan is one of the few to offer a 5 year multi user warranty.

Scott also has a 5 year warranty ... single user.

Trek has a lofty claim of a lifetime warranty.... digging deep into their fine print you find it can be transferred to the second owner, but limited to three years from original date of purchase.

ALL of these have various stipulations, whith lots of similarities ....

1. bike must be registered within 30 days of original purchase

2. original purchase documents must be handed over to next owner

3. consumables are just that .... consumables, understandably. So only the frame that is actually warranteed .... very limited cover on other components ...

4. bike to be serviced by an authorized dealer .... THIS is probably thee biggest challenge .... some people simply live too far from a brand retailer. And sadly, all too often, the retail outlet has a very poor workshop ... my local Scott dealer could not even properly prep a 24" bike for delivery ... this does not bolster confidence for their ability to properly maintain a high spec bike. So I took my bike to my local dedicated cycle workshop. Mark checked with the distributors, they would not honour this service for warranty purposes .... I opted for a quality service, knowing I lost the warranty.

Given all this fine print, the real peace of mind comes from the perceived quality.

Our experiences can be summarized as follows:

- Scott ... would gladly buy again

- Giant .... after only 6 months. Good sales experience, decent workshop. Very happy.

- Titan .... seriously impressed !! Thanks to the wider distribution chain you also have more workshop options.

- Trek .... never again. Nice ride .... maintenance nightmare !! Crap quality proprietory parts resulted in very costly upgrades .... JIP, mine was a very bad experience !!

- Merida .... Almost forgot about my Meridas ... they just keep going and going .... brilliant bikes

Chris, some two years and many thousands of km on I'm still very happy with my Trek 2018 Top Fuel 9.8 SL. I've upgraded quite a few components and haven't had any cross-compatibility issues. The only one I have found or know about is that seatpost clamp, which is an odd size (still have the one you kindly sent me, as a spare!). The bike has been treated fairly heavily but no issues to date... touch wood, etc. I think you had a bad time as I remember but can't remember the details. FWIW, I have four Treks (one road, three mountain). All similar as above. No issues, no cross-compatibility problems of any significance.

Chris, some two years and many thousands of km on I'm still very happy with my Trek 2018 Top Fuel 9.8 SL. I've upgraded quite a few components and haven't had any cross-compatibility issues. The only one I have found or know about is that seatpost clamp, which is an odd size (still have the one you kindly sent me, as a spare!). The bike has been treated fairly heavily but no issues to date... touch wood, etc. I think you had a bad time as I remember but can't remember the details. FWIW, I have four Treks (one road, three mountain). All similar as above. No issues, no cross-compatibility problems of any significance.

Good to hear :)

Often wondered about my bad luck with the EX5 ....

Same trails, same care routine, and yet the EX5 gave me more issues than all my other bikes combined.

Maybe just a Friday afternoon dud model ....

When fiancé bought a new bike we considered a 27.5. The lack of variety when it comes to tyres really put us off.

She settled on a carbon 29er Stumpjumper. It completely unlocked her potential. Doesn’t look funny at all in a small frame.

If a carbon 29er in size small is available within the budget, spec and weight of the Trek I'd be happy to jump behind that recommendation.