Miekevdb

I'm a new cyclist, does anyone have suggestions on lights for my mountain bike. I want to do the Trans Baviaans.

Following this post closely as im also planning to ride TB next and need to get lights pretty soon.

No need to follow anymore, just google Extreme Lights.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a liggie have a gander at the Marvel Blast light. I bought mine for TB and its been serving me well ever since. Has more than enough battery capacity to last you through the night (we did a 18hour scenic tour last year so ja, its longevity is well tested).

I'm actually looking for a light that has a built-in battery. Having the external battery adds clutter and cabling, and inevitably ends up rattling loose when I get to rougher trails. But that's personal preference. For TB I used the standard velcro strap and just gooi'd a few layers of insulation tape as insurance and it was solid as a rock.

Exposure MaxxD

doesn't stuff your frame up with a velcro strap on battery

Jaysus that costs more than my first bike did... Hell, almost as much as my second bike.

If that's my only option then I'll stick with the external battery!

Go with the extreme lights , there are a lot of variables and stresses , ensuring one is ticked off and need not be worried about is well worth the $$ cost , they also serve well for years after so a solid purchase.

Exposure MaxxD

doesn't stuff your frame up with a velcro strap on battery

Exposure Maxx

Sigma Buster

Lupine Tesla

Hope R4

All will cost more than Magicshine, and will be well worth the extra cash.

Jaysus that costs more than my first bike did... Hell, almost as much as my second bike.

If that's my only option then I'll stick with the external battery!

Have mine for 5years now. Had the control board and battery checked by exposure UK recently. Good for another 5years.

been through many Chinese lights as back ups. 

Also have an old Lupine Edison HID and a few Nightlightning Endunrenz lights. All in perfect working order. Lifecycle cost has been lower than any of the cheaper lights