Canyon introduce new, lighter Exceed with updated geometry and CFR options

News bot

Called them. On top of the shipping fees, there is also 2x 15% duties and taxes amounts which brings the price up substantially. 

Takes a R40k bike close to R60k at the end.

15% import duty then 15% VAT. If you buy a frame then its only 15% VAT.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Called them. On top of the shipping fees, there is also 2x 15% duties and taxes amounts which brings the price up substantially. 

The shipping etc. is expensive enough that it defeats the point on their lower-end bikes. On their higher-end bikes they can still work out cheaper for the same specs as you can get at your LBS on other brands.

15% import duty then 15% VAT. If you buy a frame then its only 15% VAT.

Theoretically yes. In practice it depends on which customs official you get and how they are feeling on the day. I've brought in two Canyon bikes (about 18-24 months apart) and I only paid VAT and no duties on both.

Probably compare it to a 60k bike then?

as I understand it, parts attract no duties but not sure if I have just been lucky. A frame is duty free

Ask them to disassemble and send 1 week apart with the invoice for the frame and the invoice for the parts - then vat only 

Someone agreed to do this for me and it worked

Probably compare it to a 60k bike then?

Agree with you, but they're marketing it as an entry level dual suspension bike. At R60k, there are pretty hefty bikes that are more value and have better parts etc. 

Agree with you, but they're marketing it as an entry level dual suspension bike. At R60k, there are pretty hefty bikes that are more value and have better parts etc. 

Are we looking at the same bike - I see a HT

Are we looking at the same bike - I see a HT

Sorry about that. Didn't realise what the actual bike in the article was. I was just asking if there were any local dealers as the online ordering added hefty fees to the advertised price. 

I was referencing the Neuron AL. Listed for R41999. 

Sorry about that. Didn't realise what the actual bike in the article was. I was just asking if there were any local dealers as the online ordering added hefty fees to the advertised price. 

I was referencing the Neuron AL. Listed for R41999. 

If the bike comes in under R50K and you haven't imported anything this year then you might get lucky with the import duty. I would definitely enquire if they can bring in the frame and parts separately.

Quite a lot of the distributors are doing his now to lower the duties paid.

Fully built bikes have 15% import duty. Then you add 15% VAT

Bike components only have the VAT. 

Canyon bikes comes partially assembled. So I can see that some at the Customs office might process it all as bike parts instead of complete bike. It will also depend on the invoice (many lines vs 1 or 2). 

But shipping is flat. Whether its their €800 bike or €5000 bike. And that makes the cheaper ones less attractive. 

I am not a fan of proprietary and (possibly) finicky parts on a bike...thus the seat post clamp and IPU thingy gets a nod of disapproval from me.  Stuff that you are going to struggle with finding parts for in a few years.  

Besides that, the frame looks pretty cool.

I am not a fan of proprietary and (possibly) finicky parts on a bike...thus the seat post clamp and IPU thingy gets a nod of disapproval from me.  Stuff that you are going to struggle with finding parts for in a few years.  

Besides that, the frame looks pretty cool.

My thoughts exactly. Also you know when the marketers use absurd language like unicorn hair they intend to charge equally absurd prices for everything. Unicorn hair, just like unicorn pooh smells like bs to me. I'm not saying it isn't incrementally better but you do have to ask how deep into the land of diminishing returns you want to go.

Not really mate, its called voicing an opinion.

Agreed. Was anyone complaining though? 

I'm super keen on the Neuron, but at R60k +- shipped, I can get better value for money bikes locally.

Not complaining like the other guy said, just surprised.