Starting Cycling

Roy Davis

Hi all

I would just like to give new riders some advice on starting this wonderful sport. It is the fastest growing sport in the World. It is wonderful for cardio vascular health. Builds up your legs and arms as well as general well being. Riding in the country in the fresh air is a wonderful feeling. You don't have to be a Tour winner. You will enjoy a gentle ride just bas much as a sprint. I am a 78-year old. Stopped riding when I was 16 and started again at 69.

The problem is that so many think it is easy. They buy a bike and then find it is much more effort than they anticipated. DON'T GIVE UP. Start very, very slowly on flat roads if there are any in your area. Push the boundaries a little more every time you ride. After a while your fitness will have improved beyond measure.

Unfortunately I lived in Monteseel at the top of Inchanga Hill in the Drummond in the 1000 Hills area of KwaZulu Natal, Durban. There weren't any flat roads

near me. 

From the Drummond side there is a short bit of fairly steep incline.

One middle-aged rider bought a new bike. He got 100m and conked out. Didn't know it was so strenuous. He was panicking. Friends were waiting to pick him up in Monteseel at the top of the hill (2.5km.) and he couldn't get near there. My friends had to take him up in a bakkie.

The moral of this story is.......start very slowly and build up gently.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy this is one of those unique sports where EVERYBODY can take part.

Nicest site on the trails is when you see three generations riding together.

ENJOY  :thumbup:

Oom Roy, good to hear that you're so young at heart and able to keep the ticker going You must be the envy of the town, and I'm sure the ladies all smile when you walk past with those cycle-toned legs of yours. Awesome stuff, and definitely something I aspire to when I reach your age, to be able to cycle albeit carefully. Well done on making it up those hills you speak of.

Roy this is one of those unique sports where EVERYBODY can take part.

Nicest site on the trails is when you see three generations riding together.

Hi Chris

The first time I rode in an organized event was the Fun Run starting in Hillcrest. I saw a father followed by four little sons each on a bike of the pertinent size. What a wonderful sight. The fact that the Fun Run is all mainly downhill is immaterial. I can't remember their approximate ages but I doubt the youngest was more than about 6 years old. There was a Dad teaching his sons life skills.

ENJOY  :thumbup:

Oom Roy, good to hear that you're so young at heart and able to keep the ticker going You must be the envy of the town, and I'm sure the ladies all smile when you walk past with those cycle-toned legs of yours. Awesome stuff, and definitely something I aspire to when I reach your age, to be able to cycle albeit carefully. Well done on making it up those hills you speak of.

Thanks Robbie for your and everyone's encouragement. Just had a prostate removal op which is exactly where I sit on the saddle. I experienced heavy internal bleeding so I am giving it to the end of August to start again. It is not so much fun when the young ladies pass me on the hills. The twenty year olds with toned bodies fly past me on the hills like turbo Ferraris. Doesn't matter, I ride for enjoyment. The first time I rode up Inchanga hill I had to rest twelve times to get home. Eventually I could do a 50km and still ride up the hill without resting.

Amashovas?? I just laughed when people mentioned such dream races. Done two.

I wanted to do the Argus (now the the Cape Cycle Tour) just once in my lifetime. Did it when I was 73. First mistake, didn't train but finished well within the time. Second mistake, passed all the younger riders I could see and in a higher gear. They were spinning I was pumping. At the bottom of Suikerbossie my legs just just seized solid with cramp. It was almost worth it when this attracted young lady massaged my legs. Asked her to come with just in case it happened again. No such luck. Walked up Suikerbossie with about half the rest of the field. Fortunately it is pretty much all downhill from there. Crossed the line with a rider in the same group half my age.

Roy my godson have been riding trails with me from the age of 5 1/2, he turned 9 last month.

SO many good memories. :)

Yesterday we stopped and looked at the new leaves on the vineyards ... even saw the days old start of new grape bunches.

He is learning so many life lessons .... all while having FUN.

And then I see the parents out on the trails with their 6 year old .... starting out on their journey

stop now if you want to save thousands of thousands of rands 

:ph34r:  :eek:

Good advice but we are also being hoodwinked. We are asked to pay R100s of thousand Rands for iconic brands which are not even as well made as the popular brands. There is an Australian fellow who cuts frames in half length ways. You would be surprised at how poorly some of the

iconic brands are made.

Thanks Robbie for your and everyone's encouragement. Just had a prostate removal op which is exactly where I sit on the saddle. I experienced heavy internal bleeding so I am giving it to the end of August to start again. It is not so much fun when the young ladies pass me on the hills. The twenty year olds with toned bodies fly past me on the hills like turbo Ferraris. Doesn't matter, I ride for enjoyment. The first time I rode up Inchanga hill I had to rest twelve times to get home. Eventually I could do a 50km and still ride up the hill without resting.

Amashovas?? I just laughed when people mentioned such dream races. Done two.

I wanted to do the Argus (now the the Cape Cycle Tour) just once in my lifetime. Did it when I was 73. First mistake, didn't train but finished well within the time. Second mistake, passed all the younger riders I could see and in a higher gear. They were spinning I was pumping. At the bottom of Suikerbossie my legs just just seized solid with cramp. It was almost worth it when this attracted young lady massaged my legs. Asked her to come with just in case it happened again. No such luck. Walked up Suikerbossie with about half the rest of the field. Fortunately it is pretty much all downhill from there. Crossed the line with a rider in the same group half my age.

You are a fantastic inspiration, and I salute your steadfastness. My dad is 72 now and he is so bent by arthritis that sadly I am not able to do things like cycling with him. He did follow me on his quad bike the last time I rode on his farm. I beat him on the downhill sections. He beat me on the uphill bits.

hint hint, when you're passed by a young lady while you're going uphill, you may need to check your heart rate...

I am impressed by the strength you show at such a mature age in climbing hills. There is evidence that exercise is always good, no matter how late one starts. I would be willing to ride with you if you should ever do the Cape Town Cycle Tour again, and it would be a tremendous honour.

I was heavily into MTB in my teenage years and only picked it up again in my early 30's.

I figured because I was a pretty good runner at the time that heading out with my fit mates would be ok...

The buggers didnt tell me it was a 65km ride with mostly long slog hills because they were training for a race.

I cramped a lot, I suffered even more. I made it in the end but I very nearly sold my bike after that!!

Starting slowly and within your limits is very sounds advice.

I too sold my MTB when I got a car at 18 and only started cycling again seriously 4 weeks ago.

Wise words above, I started with a couple of days of a 5k in the morning before work. (Short time in steel industry so only working 11h00 to 16h30 this month and this has helped me a lot to push into improving faster)

I am now up to doing a 18km ride Tue, Wed, Thu and doing a 25km on Sat and Sun for 2 weeks in a row.

its been 3 days in a row now of riding I did not get off and push up the one bastard hill.

Also finally clocked 10kg off on last week tuesday.

I wish I had picked up a bicycle years ago, so much wasted time.

I would advise ANYONE considering cycling and coming across this thread to do it, even if you can only afford a well used R1000 Nishiki or Haro from the 90's just start there.

You are never too old. My old man is also 78 and still riding.

Our Saturday morning ritual is to do a +/- 15km ride with a good coffee afterwrds

Give him my best wishes. I have just had my prostate removed which is pretty much exactly where I sit on the saddle. Hope to riding again in a week or so.

Give him my best wishes. I have just had my prostate removed which is pretty much exactly where I sit on the saddle. Hope to riding again in a week or so.

Roy my godson have been riding trails with me from the age of 5 1/2, he turned 9 last month.

SO many good memories. :)

Yesterday we stopped and looked at the new leaves on the vineyards ... even saw the days old start of new grape bunches.

He is learning so many life lessons .... all while having FUN.

And then I see the parents out on the trails with their 6 year old .... starting out on their journey

Wonderful. It is not just about riding. It is also about appreciating the wonders of nature.

You are giving him the basics for good health for the rest of his life.

At the 75 I was still a strong boy.

y. The taxi drivers etc. didn't mess with me. Unfortunately, extreme stress over a house sale caused my health to nosedive but I am getting my health back.