About Surfing.

'Dale

Ja Buffs is a lekker spot. I have spent many easter weekends camping there. The point is a strange wave, but if you've get it on the right tide and swell direction, it's a lekker fun wave. Wildside is something else. Some good waves to be had there. 

But the shark presence in that bay is something that always hangs in the back of my mind. There have been too many attacks over the years, many of them fatal.

I never really ventured Plett side, as if the swell was up at Plett, odds were JBay was on, so we'd always drive past. 

Vicbay used to be a good spot that could easily carry 2x overhead (standup), but in the early 2000's one year there was a massive storm swell, and it cleaned out the sand in the bay, leaving the beach exposed with rocks. So then the owner of the shop decided to bring in truck loads of sand as December was upon him. 2 months later, another big swell hit and all the sand returned from Kaaimans around the corner. That wave never carried the same size again after that. At 8 foot max the whole bay would close out and all that was left was a wall of whitewash. All we were left with was the memories of being able to take off on 12' plus waves way beyond the point rock and ride them all the way in past the pier into the beachbreak before kicking out.

So many memories are flooding back...

To true, Buffs wildside was my spot ma bru. The first bay on your right as you come around the corner (spot is also called corner)Water gets turquoise blue in summer and it packs a punch. 

Never really knew thats what happened to Vic.. But then again, I'm never really there in the winter anymore. Either Jbay or Knysna with my folks. To be honnest, these days I don't do many long haul trips. Its pretty much just Riding when around Knysna as the local singletrack there is better than many bikeparks.

My Brother inlaw (from EL) now lives in Knysna, and taught my Sister to surf. I now get photos of cooking surf at 10am weekdays on our family whatsapp chat :drool: and Its not from me!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To true, Buffs wildside was my spot ma bru. The first bay on your right as you come around the corner (spot is also called corner)Water gets turquoise blue in summer and it packs a punch. 

Never really knew thats what happened to Vic.. But then again, I'm never really there in the winter anymore. Either Jbay or Knysna with my folks. To be honnest, these days I don't do many long haul trips. Its pretty much just Riding when around Knysna as the local singletrack there is better than many bikeparks.

My Brother inlaw (from EL) now lives in Knysna, and taught my Sister to surf. I now get photos of cooking surf at 10am weekdays on our family whatsapp chat :drool: and Its not from me!

Knysna and Plett are sharky as heck.

I have literally been standing at the heads and watched a great big Jonny come cruising slowly in.

Im going to be 41 in two months time, the creaks really start setting in!!

I have learned that we have to get used to things changing, you pick up new sports and hobbies that suit what you can do.

Neck and back pain isnt something I would wish on my worst enemy, its something you cant escape when it gets bad.

Im definitely slowing down in my older age though, the thought of the backflips off a cliff into the sea from my youth just plain scare me now!

Slater is 48.

Im going to be 41 in two months time, the creaks really start setting in!!

I have learned that we have to get used to things changing, you pick up new sports and hobbies that suit what you can do.

Neck and back pain isnt something I would wish on my worst enemy, its something you cant escape when it gets bad.

Im definitely slowing down in my older age though, the thought of the backflips off a cliff into the sea from my youth just plain scare me now!

41 jeez I dream of those days. I was still playing regular touch rugby at that age. Now (51) I can't run more than 10 meters (rugby knees).

Having said that, I'm faster downhill on my mtb now than I was 10 years ago.

There's always a silver lining, but ja the aches, pains and creaking bones only get worse. You just learn to ignore them.

This here thread made me wonder about where in the world the surfing icon of my youth ended up. Shaun Tomson. Remember driving all the way from Cape Town to Durban for the Gunston and stopping at all the best spots. Durban part is a bit hazy though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Tomson

The Tomsons' son Mathew died at 15 years of age on 24 April 2006 in Durban, South Africa, from an accidental death caused by playing the "choking game.

Sad

This here thread made me wonder about where in the world the surfing icon of my youth ended up. Shaun Tomson. Remember driving all the way from Cape Town to Durban for the Gunston and stopping at all the best spots. Durban part is a bit hazy though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Tomson

Shawn is still around...my surfing hero too, well-respected motivational speaker and author, lives in Santa Barbara...been back to SA a few times....

Imagine being a varsity student bunking to catch J Bay cooking before the Country Feeling Classis (now the Billabong Pro), getting barrelled off your pip at the carpark section and Shaun paddles past and says "Great barrel bro!" Instant imprint! One of his trophies he won locally was the Intervarsity surf contest when he was at Natal Uni. (he left to surf pro before he graduated but returned years later as a 35 year old to finish!!)..if you see that trophy ever...look closely some years after that, 1985 to be exact...yours truly...

A wonderful human being and true ambassador of the sport....

post-35907-0-67498500-1598733278_thumb.jpg

What is Buffs?

Buffels Bay? There's a left as you come in off the N2. That place gave me a very bottom of the food chain feeling when I was out there. Only surfed it once but it was pretty wild and woolly.

I'm gonna buy a 3/2 next month (I'm only allowed 1 spoil a month) I hate 4/3's and I've got a chicken vest and I've got booties and gloves (Giro winter cycling gloves) sorted.

So what is the consensus for ear plugs? Before constant ear infections drive me back out of the water. 

Do I invest in R1000 ear plugs or do I get the R50 boys from the pharmacy?

I'm gonna buy a 3/2 next month (I'm only allowed 1 spoil a month) I hate 4/3's and I've got a chicken vest and I've got booties and gloves (Giro winter cycling gloves) sorted.

So what is the consensus for ear plugs? Before constant ear infections drive me back out of the water. 

Do I invest in R1000 ear plugs or do I get the R50 boys from the pharmacy?

I recall Doc's ProPlugs as the best thing to prevent surfer's ear and apparently they do work...I'm not one to wear any plugs, they just mess with my orientation and ability to sense the environment...same as cycling with earbud/headphones....I know some guys use prestick...hmmmm, dunno about that, always looks messy and completely blocks your hearing, if you jam it too far in, it warms up and leaves a mess in your lughole...nah...annual dive medical shows no signs of exostoses so guess I'm lucky...

I got my bell properly rung on Saturday. Yassas. I think I was lucky not to pass out and thank goodness i was wearing a hoodie.

Pulled into a barrel at Crons and my board got sucked out from under me and bliksemmed me in the side of the head. Dizzy. Game over. Home time.

I got my bell properly rung on Saturday. Yassas. I think I was lucky not to pass out and thank goodness i was wearing a hoodie.

Pulled into a barrel at Crons and my board got sucked out from under me and bliksemmed me in the side of the head. Dizzy. Game over. Home time.

:eek:  take it easy, Tiger!