Budget Dual Suspension Shootout R35k

Bosman

Hi Hubbers,

I am new to MTB and the bug bit me hard... I have been spending the last couple of months on a 2016 Silverback Sola 4 hardtail and have been riding a lot.

I have been riding before work, after work, taking leave from work just to ride the bike at trails which is further out... when I am not riding I am either watching Youtube (GMBN, BKXC, Berm Peak etc.) or reading all things and everything MTB.

The time has come to dip into my funny money and buy a MTB... I have a budget of R35k (max) and am really looking for a new dual suspension bike which I can grow with and develop my skills.

I have seen a lot of threads of a similar nature where the posters noted some of the bikes they were looking at. I thought it be cool to leave this open ended and see what bikes get recommended within the budget and for the area and type of riding I want to do.

I am based in Pretoria close to Wolwespruit and Red Barn - these are the trails I have been riding before and after work and will also be the trails that I continue to ride the most. I have also taken the bike out to Rosemary Hill, Buffeldrift, PWC Bike Park and did a single track mission through Johanneburg (think it was in the Craighall area).

Not a xc racer, in it for the fun but would proabably as I get fitter want to try different things... maybe a 3 day race or something of that nature but at the moment just loving the trails and the features.

That was a bit long winded but just wanted to share some of my stoke... I really appreciate any guidance.

Edited by Bosman

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With that budget I would go used. Buddy of mine bought a Scott Spark RC TEAM for R37k. That's a 11kg full carbon GX EAGLE bike and it was like new. Also when you decide to sell again you won't lose that much money.

2de hand is great and you can get some bargains but if something does go wrong....

Silverback al3 is what I am looking at after selling my stumpy and riding gravel currently.

Think you have 2 choices.

1: Buy and hang on to it for some time. look after it and she will look after you. Ie blow your wad once

2: buy a bit cheaper and make sure you are in for the long haul and then make sure you by something you can upgrade components.

Bikes are always fun when they belong to someone else. :) they also go faster, ride smoother and have no mechanical :P

Note: Building your own is great but again beware service parts etc might bite you later if you are not too mechanically inclined and it has to be done at a shop. Sometimes a mix and match on your dream bike is great for you but not later when you want to sell or upgrade.

Other than that go chat to a few bike shops, look at atersales and who you are comfortable with because it is a serious relationship.

Go ride and enjoy.

You can get a lot of bang for your buck with your budget. I would personally go for a new bicycle so you have that warranty, if going for second hand I would suggest finding one in your province so you can go and see the bike and you know you not getting ripped off. For new a Scott Spark 970/960 would be a very good option. Go take a look on bike addict or CWcycles for good specials.

Hi Hubbers,

I am new to MTB and the bug bit me hard... I have been spending the last couple of months on my buddy's 2016 Silverback Sola 4 hardtail and have been riding a lot.

I have been riding before work, after work, taking leave from work just to ride the bike at trails which is further out... when I am not riding I am either watching Youtube (GMBN, BKXC, Berm Peak etc.) or reading all things and everything MTB.

The time has come to dip into my funny money and buy a MTB... I have a budget of R35k (max) and am really looking for a new dual suspension bike which I can grow with and develop my skills.

I have seen a lot of threads of a similar nature where the posters noted some of the bikes they were looking at. I thought it be cool to leave this open ended and see what bikes get recommended within the budget and for the area and type of riding I want to do.

I am based in Pretoria close to Wolwespruit and Red Barn - these are the trails I have been riding before and after work and will also be the trails that I continue to ride the most. I have also taken the bike out to Rosemary Hill, Buffeldrift, PWC Bike Park and did a single track mission through Johanneburg (think it was in the Craighall area).

Not a xc racer, in it for the fun but would proabably as I get fitter want to try different things... maybe a 3 day race or something of that nature but at the moment just loving the trails and the features.

That was a bit long winded but just wanted to share some of my stoke... I really appreciate any guidance.

awesome first post, welcome to the jungle!

how technically minded are you?

are you going to be using that youtube time on the parktool channle learning how to fix and service stuff or will you rather throw money at the problem and take your chances with a bikeshop for everything.

if it is the latter, then go new. ask around and find a bike shop close to you that you want to make your first port of call, it's like having a local bar that you hang out with your pub mates and talk k$k. except here the drinks are pricier and not even Norm gets a tab. Involve them in this decision of yours, they might well have (or can get) the right bike for your needs. They might be totally honest and tell you to buy somewhere online but be happy to service it for you. This investment in the relationship will pay off in the long run. there have been some mad specials during lockdown, I'm not sure what is still running, but 2021 bikes are going to be mindsillinglyy expensive (and not much better).

if it's the former, then you can navigate the classifieds here, and feel welcome to post links for comments, You might have to make some compromises on colour and parts, but don't feel greedy and buy the wrong size because it is a good deal.. A reselling shop like bikemarket will probably be the middle ground and get you going quicker. You'll need to make some space in your budget for bikespecific tools (or borrow for now), but this will pay for itself in the first year or two. 

I'm not that clued up on the latest developments here, but in this price bracket for daullie i would probably stick with an alu bike. a new carbon will cost quite a bit more and will make some tradeoffs on parts that are not worth it. 

Awesome! I was not expecting all these replies... appreciate you guys taking the time to read my post. After months of lurking on the Hub its cool to be part of a discussion.

Must say that Norco FS 1 and Giant Trance (albeit out of budget) is looking pretty nice. Also read good things about the Silverback Stratos.

What is warranty and post purchase support like with the Norco being a less popular brand in SA?

In terms of technical proficiency managed to change the 3x9 to a 1x9 (with permission of course) and it was a great success... bike is more quiet but my legs are crying more!:)

However, must say this was after countless Youtube videos and internet reading sessions.

Would love for my 1st bike to be a fresh of the floor bike but know that might be a bit short sighted...

Awesome! I was not expecting all these replies... appreciate you guys taking the time to read my post. After months of lurking on the Hub its cool to be part of a discussion.

Must say that Norco FS 1 and Giant Trance (albeit out of budget) is looking pretty nice. Also read good things about the Silverback Stratos.

What is warranty and post purchase support like with the Norco being a less popular brand in SA?

In terms of technical proficiency managed to change the 3x9 to a 1x9 (with permission of course) and it was a great success... bike is more quiet but my legs are crying more! :)

However, must say this was after countless Youtube videos and internet reading sessions.

Would love for my 1st bike to be a fresh of the floor bike but know that might be a bit short sighted...

I agree 100% with buying brand new. A good shop will also assist with the initial setup. It is well worth setting aside an extra R1000 +- for a bike fit. Will definitely make for a much better experience when the bike is perfect for you body. 

Hi Hubbers,

I am new to MTB and the bug bit me hard... I have been spending the last couple of months on my buddy's 2016 Silverback Sola 4 hardtail and have been riding a lot.

cool sounds like you're in it for the long run.

Whats your current fitness, general build in terms height , weight, flexibility etc, beanpole or brick outhouse Dr. Strange or juggernaut?

Generally your best value for money will be a new 2017/18model that's on blow out special.

check Bikemarket.co.za, obike.co.za, cyclesunitedonline.co.za

https://www.cyclesunitedonline.co.za/bicycle/bikes/mountain-bikes/

Edited by DieselnDust

If You build a bike, you will get way more bang for your buck...Been in your shoes just a few months ago and got the best bang for my buck by building a bike. Come have a look at both out bikes we built up and decide for yourself. We also ride at red barn and Wolwe...PM me for contact details. Im no expert, but have gone down the same road you are about to and may save you some heartache and cash.