Review: 2020 Wahoo Kickr smart trainer

Bike Hub Features

Well if you looking for support, I think the distributor of this one even comments on the hub now and then and is very open about his product. 

If someone put a gun to my head, moved me to the Scotland and told me I had to buy an indoor trainer, it would probably by this one.

Hey Pure Savage, 

We are here and respond to compliments and criticism :)

Scotland a bit dramatic, but in SA the gun part is very possible... We'd be here if you decide to make a decision :)

Your local Wahooligan 

Christian 

Hi, I am curious if you tested power accuracy against your powermeter?

I tried a Snap and Kv4, and both of them under-reported power to the extend of 30-60W, which turned (test) Zwift racing into a frustrating slog. I first thought it is just me being slower than I thought (;-)) before I rigged my XC bike with my Quarq onto the trainer (with training wheel onto the Snap) for comparison. No spin downs or advanced spin-downs offered a notable improvement. When I was ready to doubt my Quarq I realized that  my mate had the same issue with his KCore. We did some test rides together and could calibrate our personal power against each other (almost the same, he is a bit stronger, at same weight). If I am zwifting with my Quarq power he has no chance.

So there is something wrong. There should be maybe a 5% drive train loss and not more.

Then I got my hand onto an Elite Direto et voila, this thing is trailing my power meter by 3-6%. So it can work.

At the end it doesn't matter to much to me since I am not really racing in Zwift. But it is noteworthy for somebody who does.

Just out of curiosity: How do the pro Zwift racers make sure their trainers are neither over- nor under-reporting? That must be a hot topic in the Zwift racing scene?

I must say the only reason I am not going out to buy a new one, is that the current gen 1 kickr I have is just to solid and does all and more than I need. I am excited about the potential to wire it straight into a pc with a lan connection instead of worrying about wireless. With permanent indoor set ups I will far rather set a cable up neatly once than fuss with bluetooth/ANT+.

Well if you looking for support, I think the distributor of this one even comments on the hub now and then and is very open about his product. 

If someone put a gun to my head, moved me to the Scotland and told me I had to buy an indoor trainer, it would probably by this one.

If you were sent to Sotland you would be far to busy cycling outdoors...

Applcrosss / Bealach na Ba pass, from fort William to Inverness along the lochs and canal roads, isle of sky, ullapool, torriden, man there is so much epic road biking to do there and cars that are far more courteous than you will believe. Then if you take a mtb and jump on all the great ways there is even more to keep you busy. Scotland wouldn't be the issue if you have the correct gear.

Hi, I am curious if you tested power accuracy against your powermeter?

I tried a Snap and Kv4, and both of them under-reported power to the extend of 30-60W, which turned (test) Zwift racing into a frustrating slog. I first thought it is just me being slower than I thought (;-)) before I rigged my XC bike with my Quarq onto the trainer (with training wheel onto the Snap) for comparison. No spin downs or advanced spin-downs offered a notable improvement. When I was ready to doubt my Quarq I realized that  my mate had the same issue with his KCore. We did some test rides together and could calibrate our personal power against each other (almost the same, he is a bit stronger, at same weight). If I am zwifting with my Quarq power he has no chance.

So there is something wrong. There should be maybe a 5% drive train loss and not more.

Then I got my hand onto an Elite Direto et voila, this thing is trailing my power meter by 3-6%. So it can work.

At the end it doesn't matter to much to me since I am not really racing in Zwift. But it is noteworthy for somebody who does.

Just out of curiosity: How do the pro Zwift racers make sure their trainers are neither over- nor under-reporting? That must be a hot topic in the Zwift racing scene?

So I think every power meter appears to be different, even ones from the same brand and even the same model can vary. It's the accuracy against itself that's important for training. But, I did test the Kickr against my Specialized Power Crank and they actually read fairly similarly, the problem with that is that I have a 48/52 pedal stroke offset in favour of the leg that isn't pushing out power data. And when comparing my usual trainer (Elite Direto) against the Power Crank, the Direto reads about 5% above the power crank which makes sense considering my rubbish pedal stroke. 

Whether this will be the same for all the Kickr20s is very debatable, and the Kickr20 can't be 'tuned' as it self calibrates every 20 minutes.

As for Zwift racing, some of the serious series make you do outdoor power testing over 15s, 5min and 20min to see how accurate your indoor power is. There is also the option in Zwiftpower to upload secondary power data for further proof.

I'm not sure I understand the difference in value between this and the Core... For a difference of R7k you are getting adjustable feet and a bigger flywheel?

There was a R5k difference between the core and the kickr 4 a year ago when I bought the core, and at the time I couldn't figure out the difference...

Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm just glad I got the Core a year ago at R13k

I suppose the accuracy improvement is valid, but +-2% isn't something I'm too stressed about

Pro racers are required to ride with two powers meters (the trainer and an additional unit) to make sure that the numbers are similar.

I'm not sure I understand the difference in value between this and the Core... For a difference of R7k you are getting adjustable feet and a bigger flywheel?

There was a R5k difference between the core and the kickr 4 a year ago when I bought the core, and at the time I couldn't figure out the difference...

I suppose the accuracy improvement is valid, but +-2% isn't something I'm too stressed about

For mortals like MOST us, really only 1 difference, the price.

But for mortals like SOME of us, the difference lies in the fact that I spend more than you, and that can be important. ????

Plus a cassette on the kickr

So I think every power meter appears to be different, even ones from the same brand and even the same model can vary. It's the accuracy against itself that's important for training. But, I did test the Kickr against my Specialized Power Crank and they actually read fairly similarly, the problem with that is that I have a 48/52 pedal stroke offset in favour of the leg that isn't pushing out power data. And when comparing my usual trainer (Elite Direto) against the Power Crank, the Direto reads about 5% above the power crank which makes sense considering my rubbish pedal stroke. 

Whether this will be the same for all the Kickr20s is very debatable, and the Kickr20 can't be 'tuned' as it self calibrates every 20 minutes.

As for Zwift racing, some of the serious series make you do outdoor power testing over 15s, 5min and 20min to see how accurate your indoor power is. There is also the option in Zwiftpower to upload secondary power data for further proof.

I know all powermeters are slightly different. But not to this extent. 

Pro racers are required to ride with two powers meters (the trainer and an additional unit) to make sure that the numbers are similar.

Aha, I didn't know that. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

The free cassette, and the folding feet means it packs away quicker (for those that clear out the pain cave in summer)

Not sure if there is a difference in the maximum wattage .... not that I can max out my Core ....

For casual riders like me, the Core is way more than I "need" ....