Gravel biking in Cape Town

Bub Marley

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gravel all the way - plenty of Gravel locally and some awesome weekend bikepacking type gravel rides to be done 

I think ANC might make gravel bikes compulsory soon 

They going to create gravel tax soon.

Where is this?

This is on the Blue Route of the Grootvaderbosch conservatory. Its 10km from Suurbrak and 10km from Heidelburg. We took a family weekend to a farm there and it was right on the trails. 

Even the gravel roads there are deserted. Rode with the 3 and 5 year old there and did around 25km over 2 days and were never passed by a car.

This is on the Blue Route of the Grootvaderbosch conservatory. Its 10km from Suurbrak and 10km from Heidelburg. We took a family weekend to a farm there and it was right on the trails.

Even the gravel roads there are deserted. Rode with the 3 and 5 year old there and did around 25km over 2 days and were never passed by a car.

Awesome, beautiful part of the Cape.

Had a fairly epic ride trying to do the Grootvadersbos MTB trail loop about 10yrs ago...great on the map but the trails and signage were slightly less obvious ????

Awesome, beautiful part of the Cape.

Had a fairly epic ride trying to do the Grootvadersbos MTB trail loop about 10yrs ago...great on the map but the trails and signage were slightly less obvious

The signage is better, just a bit of fence jumping etc. There is just no flat sections, I got 3 KOM's as I was on the gravel bike and had no lower gear...

I live in Brackenfell and I can take you on a 100km gravel ride that starts 17km's from my doorstep... I could probably stretch that even further if I could ride further :wacko:

Now that I think of it, most of constania's roads are basically gravel.

Get the gravel bike. You won't be disappointed.

Don't get the gravel bike. You will be disappointed.

You have to have a certain mindset to ride a gravel bike.

I would get a gravel bike but only as my 3rd bike.

I live in Brackenfell and I can take you on a 100km gravel ride that starts 17km's from my doorstep... I could probably stretch that even further if I could ride further :wacko:

Do you mind sharing some of those routes ...

Both of these rides where largely gravel. Can ad another 20+km of gravel to the "no legs left" ride on the return. Welcome to check my profile for route info.

There's loads of gravel routes around Northern suburbs.

post-80000-0-62120600-1598320771_thumb.jpg

post-80000-0-25224200-1598320781_thumb.jpg

dual sus with a drop bar ????. sinkplaat amd rigit fork hmmm thats a no for me. a short section of sinkplaat is fine, but 50km of it not so much unless you like your joints nice an loose after????

i must admit though when out on the roadi on this horible ex tar pavement, ive been very envious of those bikes that simply ride next to the road out of harms way. that being said, when the din wiel is replaced it would be for that purpose.

If you still own a 26er and haven't ridden a 29er, just go and take a 29er hardtail for a ride. You will be amazed at the difference. Not saying you shouldn't try a gravel bike.

But it is most certainly not a style or riding suited to everybody. Unlike what the marketing people like to say. 

Don't get the gravel bike. You will be disappointed.

You have to have a certain mindset to ride a gravel bike.

I would get a gravel bike but only as my 3rd bike.

Actually, I would agree.

If you are a mtber, then odds are a gravel bike won't be a great primary bike.

However if you are a roadie and want to explore the back roads or get off the tar for safety issues, then a gravel bike is lekker.

The OP will know where he sits on the spectrum and what he wants to ride. And he has a lot of time to decide before he moves back.

roadbike:GolfGti

dualsus:doublecab bakkie

hardtail:singlecab bakkie

gravelbike:np200 nissan diesel, light nimble and can hammer a gravel road in good nick