Race Report: 2020 Witfontein Funduro

Christofison

If only the forest still looked like this. It looks like the aftermath of a war zone at the moment. All the trees that burnt a couple years ago have since rotten, and the strong winds that rolled through several weeks ago just snapped most of the trees in half or completely uprooted them.

The trails are riding really nicely though. The Hillbillies MTB Club and trail running groups have been working really hard to open everything up.

I know right!

I was so heartbroken after the Knysna fires. Trails I rode since 1995 were just obliterated and left exposed crumbling to pieces. It was like losing a family member. Very very sad. But, time heals all the broken hearts. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm.. I like this! 

How gnarly are the trails?  I might come and ride the trails blind?

I'm a pro, Of course :w00t:   I think I hold my own  :ph34r:

As long as they are not blind landings and or very difficult/tricky? when well built, features can be cleared first go with good flow and speed. But thats a difficult thing to answer.

I definitely wont be able to recon. 

Here's how NOT to do the second one...You will struggle to accidentally hit them. You see them from plenty far away to avoid em.

Here's a local kid (Sean van Niekerk) showing how the A-line is done. The B-line is on riders left for both sections.

Quarry Jumps

post-59129-0-01785500-1599462930_thumb.jpg

Supertubes

post-59129-0-31798300-1599462953_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christofison

Here's a local kid (Sean van Niekerk) showing how the A-line is done. The B-line is on riders left for both sections.

Quarry Jumps

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Supertubes

attachicon.gif2.jpg

post-59129-0-31798300-1599462953.jpg

The backside of that landing is not so steep. I think I could noseride/hang 10 that thing easy!

Another little sneak-peak. Follow the Instagram link below for the video. This will be the A-line on one of the stages, just make sure you don't hit it too fast.

attachicon.gifIMG_3887.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE8v3sUnClJ/?igshid=ouw8bohqyr65

Follow me on Instagram for some course preview POV's coming next week.

Doesn't look like there's a B line :devil: I'm so pumped  :clap: I look at my bike every afternoon I get home and I'm like, I so don't use it as intended (enough) 

I'm so keen for this race although I might DNF due to unfitness :blink:

lets just say I'm planning to make a day of it. 

Looking forward to the POV's

Doesn't look like there's a B line :devil: I'm so pumped  :clap: I look at my bike every afternoon I get home and I'm like, I so don't use it as intended (enough) 

I'm so keen for this race although I might DNF due to unfitness :blink:

lets just say I'm planning to make a day of it. 

Looking forward to the POV's

This A-line is a shortcut of a section of another trail. So the mainline is the B-line  :thumbup:

Another little sneak-peak. Follow the Instagram link below for the video. This will be the A-line on one of the stages, just make sure you don't hit it too fast.

IMG_3887.jpg

So there’s no landing after that root? :/ It’s going to be a hard brake check.

attachicon.gifIMG_3887.jpg

Finally, an actual A-Line with a benefit!

Ya'll need to split that bridge in two with one going even higher up :) I'll bring a saw and a spade for my old stomping grounds ;)

What root? Not sure we are talking about the same thing, but I'm slightly concerned about coming onto that bridge to hot and sending it into the abyss..

But oh on the day it will be but a wink with no time to think and just like that its over.  :D

What root? Not sure we are talking about the same thing, but I'm slightly concerned about coming onto that bridge to hot and sending it into the abyss..

But oh on the day it will be but a wink with no time to think and just like that its over. :D

In the insta clip he lands before a root. I feel like I might over cook it and blow up my rear wheel on it. Just a thought.....

Leave the root! This is not Tygerberm trails. MTB is supposed to be sketchy :D

So there used to be a huge tree stump that I cut out as close to ground level as I could, then build a drainage line just before it. The further you send it, the flatter the landing gets. Guaranteed to bottom your fork out. You're not going to clear the stump, so rather slow down nicely for the drop.

So there used to be a huge tree stump that I cut out as close to ground level as I could, then build a drainage line just before it. The further you send it, the flatter the landing gets. Guaranteed to bottom your fork out. You're not going to clear the stump, so rather slow down nicely for the drop.

Vet pret! Loving it. Looks like a proper huck to flat. It would have been classic trying to slow down on that bridge once it becomes snotty, haha! good thing you got chicken mesh. 

I feel like riding. Anyone else?