Race Report: 2020 Witfontein Funduro

Christofison

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh well..cant have it all now can we. On a slightly more serious note. For us out of towners. The windguru report seems ok for Saturday, bit of rain Friday night but nothing torrential. Saturday sees a 25 knots Westerly and 15C temps. Will a cycling top plus wind jammer suffice or should I be thinking more? I know the radio tower is pretty alpine and exposed. Freezing my ass off all day is not going to go down well. I might just come in a longsleave top anyway.

Second question, will there be stalls at the start area at all? I'm going to need a power bar or two to keep me fueled and maybe even a gu for the last climb. I'm not bargaining on any water points during the ride either right?

Thanks again for putting this event on. Goodluck with the last arrangements. See you on Saturday.

Oh well..cant have it all now can we. On a slightly more serious note. For us out of towners. The windguru report seems ok for Saturday, bit of rain Friday night but nothing torrential. Saturday sees a 25 knots Westerly and 15C temps. Will a cycling top plus wind jammer suffice or should I be thinking more? I know the radio tower is pretty alpine and exposed. Freezing my ass off all day is not going to go down well. I might just come in a longsleave top anyway.

Second question, will there be stalls at the start area at all? I'm going to need a power bar or two to keep me fueled and maybe even a gu for the last climb. I'm not bargaining on any water points during the ride either right?

Thanks again for putting this event on. Goodluck with the last arrangements. See you on Saturday.

The start of stages 2, 4 & 5 are pretty exposed. I would pack at least a shell. You probably won't be cold on the transfers, it's just waiting to drop in that might get chilly.

No stalls at the start, the Ground Zero shop might have something. I'll DM you the owners number.

On a positive note, the Hillbillies MTB Club and my wife have sponsored a small water table. It will be at the start of Stage 3, so you will pass it again on your way to stage 4 & 5. The snacks & drink are limited though, so don't rely solely on that.

So, is anyone from George giving guided tours of the stages this afternoon? Nick and I are passing through riviersondereind on our way...

So we just rode stage 4 and 5.... I jizzed all over myself.

Some parts are pretty sketchy in the wet, especially on a kids bike. But the steeps are amazing. 

If it doesn't dry out there will be some very touch and go places. The rocks and roots were getting pretty ice rinky... The railway crossing on stage 5 in the wet is also a death trap. Haahahaha

The trails are amazing. 

See you guys at 8 tomorrow

Thank you for coming today guys. It was an awesome day. We're still trying to make sense of all the timing data. For now, feel free to check your Strava positions on the Stage sements below:

https://www.strava.com/segments/25711539?filter=overall
https://www.strava.com/segments/25711565?filter=overall
https://www.strava.com/segments/25711679?filter=overall
https://www.strava.com/segments/25712288?filter=overall
https://www.strava.com/segments/25734037?filter=overall

Edited by Nick
Fixed links.

WOW...I really cant say how awesome this was. @Christofisen

This is real Mountain Biking! And to me as an out of towner, the experience was amplified so much more. The Videos you posted does no justice to these trails. Also, the fact that you are quite the ripper yourself hides what it really takes. 

Witfontein is a proper venue, and so refreshing to just plow straight down a mountain over rocks and loamy goodness using all of my bike in the process. Not switchback after switchback which has its merit, but the loamy confidence inspiring surface just made for such thrills.

• New trails
  • New landscape to behold
  • Different soil & terrain
  • Great people
  • Great variety of trails, I honestly didn't mind stage 3. It took skill to maintain speed but was not out of place. 
  • Although not a lot of "purely death defying GNAR" I was far happier being able to go fast over the reasonably Gnarly & proper steep stuff which actually leaves one feeling better. Testament to really great trails.

I hope you got out of it what you put in ;) Because we are going to have to come back next year and make it an annual thing. 

We need more out of town (further than 100km from Cape Town) events like this. 

*The last photo was taken from Deidre Clute's FB. I have contacted her to find out where one can get hold of the photos and pay as there are many more awesome shots with hubbers. 

post-1279-0-35800700-1601286031_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-98540200-1601286047_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-33163400-1601286066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bos

WOW...I really cant say how awesome this was. @Christofisen

This is real Mountain Biking! And to me as an out of towner, the experience was amplified so much more. The Videos you posted does no justice to these trails. Also, the fact that you are quite the ripper yourself hides what it really takes. 

Witfontein is a proper venue, and so refreshing to just plow straight down a mountain over rocks and loamy goodness using all of my bike in the process. Not switchback after switchback which has its merit, but the loamy confidence inspiring surface just made for such thrills.

• New trails
  • New landscape to behold
  • Different soil & terrain
  • Great people
  • Great variety of trails, I honestly didn't mind stage 3. It took skill to maintain speed but was not out of place. 
  • Although not a lot of "purely death defying GNAR" I was far happier being able to go fast over the reasonably Gnarly & proper steep stuff which actually leaves one feeling better. Testament to really great trails.

I hope you got out of it what you put in ;) Because we are going to have to come back next year and make it an annual thing. 

We need more out of town (further than 100km from Cape Town) events like this. 

*The last photo was taken from Deidre Clute's FB. I have contacted her to find out where one can get hold of the photos and pay as there are many more awesome shots with hubbers.

That fkn smile....